Well crap.

23xr392

Reaction score
Current Rides
86 K30
Apologies for the crappy video, if it uploads.

Sounds a lot like rod knock, but is probably a dead lifter I suppose. The sound is coming from drivers side, beginning other video. No miss-fires, no codes, yet.

2500 miles, break-in followed. First oil change at 2000 miles. Has been gradually been getting worse since first noticed around 800 miles.

Kinda comes and goes, the video was shot on one of the rare times it was doing at idle, most of the time it’s most noticeable coasting down from 2000 rpm (pulling up to a stop sign).

Grit my teeth and took it to the dealer. Said, “Normal, they all sound like that”.

664F178E-BFEC-422A-93CB-A9DCAFEB9338.jpeg

So I guess I’m curious. Do your’s knock like that ( again, sorry for the video quality)? This is the second Hemi I’ve owned, the first one sure didn’t sound like that.

I have two 392’s and neither knock like that.
10-4. I’m pretty sure if they all truly knocked like that Stellantis would sell about 0 of them. You’d think it would be in their best interest to get it taken care of. I mean, I’ve only had it two months but there have probably been 6 or 7 folks come up to me in a parking lot wanting to check it out. Pretty embarrassing for Jeep when they say, “Start it up, I want to hear what it sounds like” and it sounds like that.

Definitely. Find a dealer with a 392 (new or used). Take it to them and if they give you the same line, tell them to fire up theirs and see if it’s the same.

Yeah, i spent months trying to d find one around here. Ended up driving 450 miles for this one. I think they just don’t want to do warranty work, and at the end of the day, I’m not sure i want somebody working on it that doesn’t want to work on it, if ya know what I mean.

Definitely. Find a dealer with a 392 (new or used). Take it to them and if they give you the same line, tell them to fire up theirs and see if
View attachment 17998

So I guess I’m curious. Do your’s knock like that ( again, sorry for the video quality)? This is the second Hemi I’ve owned, the first one sure didn’t sound like that.
No knock on mine, very minor tick but pretty sure that’s normal. I have 7500 miles. That sucks, Hope they get it handled for you. Please keep us updated.

Definitely not normal. I've had my 392 since 2021 and after 12,000 miles it does not have that knocking sound.

Yeah, I need to take it to a another dealer. Just such a pain in the ass, schedule an appointment, burn another day of vacation from work. Next dealer is 40 miles away.

I really am not terribly fond of dealership shenanigans. 🤮

Yeah, I need to take it to a another dealer. Just such a pain in the ass, schedule an appointment, burn another day of vacation from work. Next dealer is 40 miles away.

I really am not terribly fond of dealership shenanigans. 🤮
Id suggest making sure you get a Stellantis/Jeep Wave Ticket open and document everything they’re telling you etc (e.g. continue driving)

Id suggest making sure you get a Stellantis/Jeep Wave Ticket open and document everything they’re telling you etc (e.g. continue driving)
Do that through chat on the the Jeep Wave website I assume?

Nah get them on the horn 🎙️maybe the chat will route you to the # though
10-4. I started down the chat road, ended up with Stella Bot, who was not very helpful when we last spoke about my no progress custom order, so I abandoned that.

I’ll try and get them on the horn, thanks for that!

Sounds very much like a rod knock…. Hopefully it won’t knock much longer before it disintegrates and they replace your engine. Get a cheap automotive stethoscope and hold it up under the oil pan. If you hear it from down there it’s a bottom end / rod issue. If you lightly rev it and let off do you hear that clatter more pronounced?

I’ve chased it with the stethoscope, really can’t find the source. Definitely louder at the bellhousing, but you know that’s a funnel for all noises. It is louder on the rear main cap side bolts, passenger and driver side. Louder on the drivers side exhaust pipe. Smacked the converter with a rubber mallet when cold, doesn’t sound like the cat’s are coming apart.

And, yep, rev it to 2000 and let off and it is more pronounced, like a rod.

My driveway is pretty long and slopes downhill. In the morning, start it up, let it warm up enough to come down from fast idle, back out of the shop. Get it pointed toward the drive, bump the gas to get going. Gently ride the break down the drive, gradually picking up speed until it shifts to second, gently riding the brake the whole time. Once it shifts to second, as the rpm falls, it clatters like a s.o.b. All of that, and the sound, points to a rod in my mind.

I just expect it to be more constant than it is, if it’s a rod. Drive for a mile and pull up to the stop sign, sometimes you won’t hear it. In my mind, once it starts knocking it should continue to knock, especially since the oil continues to thin out as it warms up.

Pulled the inspection cover, checked the torque converter bolts, all good. No cracks visible on the flexplate. Can’t see the 8 crank bolts, of course.

I’ve chased it with the stethoscope, really can’t find the source. Definitely louder at the bellhousing, but you know that’s a funnel for all noises. It is louder on the rear main cap side bolts, passenger and driver side. Louder on the drivers side exhaust pipe. Smacked the converter with a rubber mallet when cold, doesn’t sound like the cat’s are coming apart.

And, yep, rev it to 2000 and let off and it is more pronounced, like a rod.

My driveway is pretty long and slopes downhill. In the morning, start it up, let it warm up enough to come down from fast idle, back out of the shop. Get it pointed toward the drive, bump the gas to get going. Gently ride the break down the drive, gradually picking up speed until it shifts to second, gently riding the brake the whole time. Once it shifts to second, as the rpm falls, it clatters like a s.o.b. All of that, and the sound, points to a rod in my mind.

I just expect it to be more constant than it is, if it’s a rod. Drive for a mile and pull up to the stop sign, sometimes you won’t hear it. In my mind, once it starts knocking it should continue to knock, especially since the oil continues to thin out as it warms up.

Pulled the inspection cover, checked the torque converter bolts, all good. No cracks visible on the flexplate. Can’t see the 8 crank bolts, of course.
My wife's yukon just had a similar issue. It turned out to be a roller lifter eating the camshaft. Sounded just like a rod knock. 21 hours of shop labor to pull the engine, and replace the cam and rollers.

I've never had a knocking rod last long. I'd think if it's a rod, it would either failed already, or very VERY soon will.

Was it happening before the oil change? What oil did you use? I think the 392's are particular as to what type of lube they tolerate?

Following. Mine sounds similar. It sounds higher pitched but with phones its hard to tell. My dealer also said "they all sound like that". My one caveat is my guy IS normally very good about warranty, fixing stuff etc. At my first oil change and I going to bring it up again.

Got an appt with another dealer a week from tomorrow.
Got a case opened and have talked to my assigned case mgr.

Fully expect the “It’s normal” treatment, but we’ll see.

Fast forward to 3 mins. His had two collapsed lifters. Video posted by the Op sounds deeper down. Either way it doesn’t sound good. Op show your service department this video to support that it’s not “normal” and his sounds better than yours.

Back