Weird issue with CarPlay

gibby392

Reaction score
Current Rides
1997 Miata, 2017 Alfa 4c, 1990 Corvette, 1977 Nova
So I noticed in the first few drives on my new 392 CarPlay would randomly disconnect when I had it connected in the center console. This would happen sometimes in 20 seconds or up to an hour. I have tried sever different cables, cleaned the charging port on my iphone with no change. I tried the dash USB port and things work flawlessly. I know in my 2020 Gladiator I always used the console USB port, has anyone here had some similar issues?

So I noticed in the first few drives on my new 392 CarPlay would randomly disconnect when I had it connected in the center console. This would happen sometimes in 20 seconds or up to an hour. I have tried sever different cables, cleaned the charging port on my iphone with no change. I tried the dash USB port and things work flawlessly. I know in my 2020 Gladiator I always used the console USB port, has anyone here had some similar issues?
Hit your Assist button and let them know the problem you're having. I had the same issue and they told me that an update would be pushed to my radio to resolve it. It may take a couple of days. I was in the 392 when the update started, but it may also happen in the background.

Hit your Assist button and let them know the problem you're having. I had the same issue and they told me that an update would be pushed to my radio to resolve it. It may take a couple of days. I was in the 392 when the update started, but it may also happen in the background.
Great, let me try that this evening

Yes I had the same problem until a software update. Someone here posted about how to manually update your software. It took me about 20 seconds but I can't recall the steps. This might have been it.

Yes I had the same problem until a software update. Someone here posted about how to manually update your software. It took me about 20 seconds but I can't recall the steps. This might have been it.
Great info, looks like I will be giving this a try tonight

I tried the updates last night and I have the most recent firmware, guess I need to call the dealer arrrgghhh

Just curious, what iphone and ios are you currently running?

I had similar problems in my 2018 JLU. I came to the conclusion that the issues have been with IOS and not necessarily on the Jeep side.

Have seen many posts on the JL forums about the issue being a non-apple cable.

I have an iphone 12 pro and running 14.7.1 IOS. I just upgraded to IOS 15 to give that a try
Gotcha, I was curious because there was a known issue with the new iOS and the 13 that I believe they just released a patch

Gotcha, I was curious because there was a known issue with the new iOS and the 13 that I believe they just released a patch
Still no luck and I tried another new apple cable as well

dumb question... does the uconnect system not support wireless carplay? Was a bit surprised, but maybe I'm missing something.

I've found both in OEM and aftermarket systems if the specs do not specifically say wireless car play its wired only.

dumb question... does the uconnect system not support wireless carplay? Was a bit surprised, but maybe I'm missing something
Car2Play is a great wireless device. Currently have 2 in use, and had one in a third (but replacement vehicle was natively wireless)

where is the system getting its update from? does it need to be connected to Wi-Fi somewhere or satellite? So parked outside? cellular? Even without a Data plan?

Last edited:
Car2Play is a great wireless device. Currently have 2 in use, and had one in a third (but replacement vehicle was natively wireless)
I have one I am using in the center console with almost no issues. Works great. My phone would constantly disconnect in center console but the Car2play is solid.

Back