Warning / Reverse Sensor Severe False Alerts after adding an aftermarket tire/wheel to the existing or an aftermarket spare tire tailgate mount.

justinB

Reaction score
The parking sensors went crazy in reverse after I put on a new larger wheel/tire on the factory spare tailgate wheel mount thinking the tire/wheel must be protruding into the bumper's sensor area. In reverse could clearly see the tire taking up quite a bit off the lower area when viewing the Uconnect monitor. I thought after I got my new aftermarket spare tire mount it'd fix the issue, it did not. What I discovered is that it was not a sensor per say, at least not one of the sensors in the bumper. It was the actual camera that was sensing!

The camera was reacting to the tire taking up some of what's displayed on the screen, the tire was protruding a little beyond [towards the front of the Jeep] relative to the red line on the monitor. I then tested it. I disconnected the camera, put it in reverse with nothing behind me, and the alarms did not go off. Same scenario with the disconnected camera, I put my garbage bin behind the vehicle and it did go off once I started to get close to the bin, the bumper sensors worked as they should. I then realized it was the camera, it 'sensed' as well.

So... I removed the camera and manipulated it to where the tire was only barely seen at the bottom of the screen, which pushed the red warning line away from the vehicle a bit further, the tire was below the red warning line when viewing the monitor. I then glued the camera into place. Problem was solved!!! It only alerted when something truly was behind me.

Now, prior gluing the camera I did mess with the camera a bit to keep the red line as close to the vehicle with as little but still adequate clearance as possible while also keeping the left and right green guide lines perfectly straight. But again, once I had the camera set up with little visual tire interference on the display, I no longer had crazy false alerts. Be sure to keep the steering wheel perfectly straight when setting the camera. To this day it's been working great.

IF you're having the same issue perhaps perform a quick easy test. Simply unplug the rear camera and see if the crazy alerts stop while nothing is behind you. With the camera still disconnected put something 15' behind the vehicle then start backing into the item. If it only starts to alert once you get close you then know it's a camera issue.

you own a 392, why are you using anything that is not Mopar, devaluing a badged vehicle that is already a collectors item in my opinion.

you get what you pay for

you own a 392, why are you using anything that is not Mopar, devaluing a badged vehicle that is already a collectors item in my opinion.

you get what you pay for
I somewhat agree, but am also sending mine to the OG HQ for the AEV JL370 package. Maybe it affects value? Or collector status? Even so, i dont like Mopar bumpers, want bigger tires and prefer AEV lift over the 2” mopar version (have had both on other wranglers). No sensor issues w AEV build but I do on the mopar 2” lift and 37s.

I somewhat agree, but am also sending mine to the OG HQ for the AEV JL370 package. Maybe it affects value? Or collector status? Even so, i dont like Mopar bumpers, want bigger tires and prefer AEV lift over the 2” mopar version (have had both on other wranglers). No sensor issues w AEV build but I do on the mopar 2” lift and 37s.
I was thinking about this the other day. Does an AEV kit positively or negatively affect value for money put in in the long run?

I would think with all the badging and dealership associations with AEV, it would add value for the amount of money put into it, but not sure.

I've been looking at LJs and it's hard to find stock, which is what I want. Or as close as possible. Some of the things I see people do with LJs makes me want to wretch honestly. Just because you can doesn't mean you should:

Your collector's item could get totaled every time you drive it. If you don't drive it, your garage can burn down, 392 in it. To each their own, but there's no point to me in owning such an awesome, modular vehicle if you aren't driving it and enjoying it, to include modding it to your liking.

Automotive purity? In the bin. ✌️

Your collector's item could get totaled every time you drive it. If you don't drive it, your garage can burn down, 392 in it. To each their own, but there's no point to me in owning such an awesome, modular vehicle if you aren't driving it and enjoying it, to include modding it to your liking.

Automotive purity? In the bin. ✌️
100% agree.

rotate the spare so the tpms sensor is up high Away from the bumper. Ran in to this several times at my shop. The signal from the sensor causes interference with the parking sensors.
my camera was blocked by about half on my last JL due to the KMC Krawler 20x10 bead locks. Never was an issue

Attachments

• 05FEDD74-D8A8-4594-91D3-710344EEF489.jpeg
    05FEDD74-D8A8-4594-91D3-710344EEF489.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
FWIW… I’ve had a sensor issue from day one with stock XR 35’s from factory. Technician says there’s a firmware from Jeep due out to correct for the larger-than-33” tires but had no ETA

AEV's conversion will typically add to the value of a JL, specifically if it is an AEV factory build with the AEV serialized data plate. Mine should be there for its JL370 conversion in Sept.

--S

Welcome to the forum Sean. Your JL build has been inspiring over past couple years. Looking forward to seeing your 392 ideas come to life. Will you stay w GFC RTT? And ARB compressor OR dual battery system in floor storage?

Last edited:
I had this same issue, I have a Nitto 37x13.5 on a Fuel rim. My Jeep came with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket. I added the Teraflex tire carrier and pushed the tire as far forward as I could which helped. Still got random alerts tho. I then switched to the Teraflex tailgate hinge reinforcement bracket. It allowed me to push the tire even further forward to the Jeep tailgate. Problem was solved after that. I’m my case, the key was clearing the camera view as much as possible. If the red lines in your camera are seeing the wheel then the alarms will sound.

Welcome to the forum Sean. Your JL build has been inspiring over past couple years. Looking forward to seeing your 392 ideas come to life. Will you stay w GFC RTT? And ARB compressor OR dual battery system in floor storage?
Thank you! Haven't decided on the RTT yet, might try to simplify things with a SuperLite, or ShiftPod it for a while. I love my GFC, but dont love the MPG hit or the creaky roof from having a rack. So TBD on what I do next. And yes, working with AAL on the dual battery and onboard air setup now. We have a solution in the works that will allow both.

--S

Back