Used 392s on Autotrader. Wow.

I go to the website to look at vehicles for sale and we were helping my daughter look for another car.
Every week, I noticed there are more used 392 Jeeps for sale and most of them are over 90k. There are quite a few XRs with very low miles.
Gas prices are probably the reason.

Aye… Costco…
I only get gas there if/when I shop there and I happen to need fuel.
Sitting in line for 20-30 minutes for anything, just isn’t my MO. Since the influx, I think I fueled up there 2 times in the last 3 years.
Besides, once the state transitioned from Colorado to “Calirado”, Costco, along with many other establishments, has suddenly seen the likes of Southern California.
Lines, lines, lines. Aaannndddd…. More f***ing lines.
Only recently have reservations been required to hike, camp, etc. 😒

I'm sure there are some people who are not that savy who buy a wrangler, think a 392 is cool, spend the money, get it, and realize fuel efficiency is an issue.

I'm not gonna lie, I was looking at the 4xe, but it's mainly because some electric vehicles actually have some kick ass acceleration and torque.

Though, if we're gonna take a poll, you can mark me down in the 'don't care' column. I just filled my FJ up this AM while getting a coffee. I didn't even look to see how much it was. I just don't care. I get the vehicle I want, I drive it how I want, and just accept that I have to supply it with fuel.

My current rides:
Wrangler TJ: 20mpg on a good day?
95 YJ: I'm sure worse mpg than my TJ
Fj Cruiser: Probably low 20s on a good day
BMW 4 series: Mid to upper 20s maybe?
On order: '23 392.

Yep, MPG is not too much of a concern to me. haha.

Some people spend stupid money on many hobbies, that I don’t get.
Then I look at how much money I burn in gasoline or gunpowder and wine brewing and believe they shake their head at me just as much. 🤣

If you are saying you care about the MPG of a 392, you are mostly saying that to make yourself feel better…. 99 out of 100 people fall into 2 categories, either it is your daily driver and if you can afford a $100k vehicle for a daily then a few extra bucks at the pump mean nothing to you. Or second you bought for fun and you don’t drive it that much so a few extra bucks at the pump mean nothing to you.

I pay attention to MPG, same as temps and pressure. If I get 12 I think, what did I do different from when I get 18. Not oh no I can’t afford this thing…. Sell it…

I can afford the crappy MPG on my 392, but I don't have to like it and I most definitely still notice it is costing me $120 or so to fill it up. Especially when a year ago it was only costing me $50.

I do daily my 392 and I enjoy every minute of it. I don't drive a lot, but it is absolutely ridiculous gas is costing this much. Fortunately, I don't put a ton of miles on a car so it isn't the end of the world for me yet.

I've been getting around 10-11 mpg which is about what my 5.7 Grand Cherokee was getting. I live in an urban area and don't do a lot of highway driving so it is mostly stop and go. On my 350 mile drive back from dealer I got about 15mpg on highway. The Grand CHerokee was about 18. Best I've ever gotten was maybe 20 over 750 mile road trip.

I suspect many of the 392s on Autotrader are people who drive vehicles for a short period of time and then get rid of them. It is easy to make some quick profit right now. I'd venture there are some who are finding the daily cost to expensive although I don't think that is a huge number of owners. Last time gas was like this, you had a lot of contractors/blue collar guys dumping big trucks but I don't think that is a typical 392 buyer (i could be wrong though).

I have no plans to sell mine any time soon.

Exactly, we can both not really care about the mpg we're getting in our vehicles and still hate the Biden tax we're paying on gas at the pump (avg price has more than doubled since Jan 20, 2021).

Oh I care about the mileage on my 392 but I still drive it all the time.

Oh, my friend - please don’t conflate my hypothesis that people care about MPG with buying the 392 based upon MPG! Absolutely not the case: I’m sure we all got the 392 purely based on the what it is - a glorious V8 shoved into a Wrangler! MPG was not even remotely on mind :)

Who knows their Costco attendants by name now?!
I still say people here do not really care about MPG. And I also bet that most of them rarely use the word “conflate.” 😂

Honestly, I care about MPG but not too much. I drive 60 miles 3 times a week in city traffic. When I drive my wife's car, the gas cost is half. And I buy less unnecessary tools and spend less on eating in restaurants.
When I drive my 392, I feel that's the real me, that makes me feel happy about investing in myself:cool:

I daily drive my 392 and don't care about the gas. It gets the same mpg as all the other trucks I've had in the past 30 yrs. If the US government is to blame for high gas prices, then who does Canada, UK, Mexico, etc blame for the increase in gas prices?

Always love these threads, gas & guns guaranteed to get folks drawing imaginary lines in the sand. 🍿🍿

American politics are about as real as WWE... if you think the dems and reps aren't patting each other on the back as they laugh their way to cashing their corporate donations while the populace tears itself apart, I've got some high-quality blinker fluid to sell you!

They ordered 392s and joy rided… or joy rode them, they get over it, then they think they can make a profit. I asked a question about why there was so many low mileage 392s for sale on another forum last year. That was the consensus. People Buy it, enjoy for 4-6 months, put a 1000-2000 miles then sell it for a profit.
I've put 2500 miles on mine in the first 3 weeks of ownership...haha

Always love these threads, gas & guns guaranteed to get folks drawing imaginary lines in the sand. 🍿🍿

American politics are about as real as WWE... if you think the dems and reps aren't patting each other on the back as they laugh their way to cashing their corporate donations while the populace tears itself apart, I've got some high-quality blinker fluid to sell you!
Seriously. It seems that American politics in its current incarnation is one big the Onion article.

I try my best to pay less attention to it because it seems following it just pisses me off more. It's sad but true that not paying attention just makes me a happier person big time, so at this point in my life, that's what I'm doing.

Likely
Just yesterday has a guy asking me about mine and his main (and repeated) inquiry was about how much it costs to drive with fuel prices.
I believe most people hear “V-8” and balk at the thought of filling it up.
When I told him it actually got better MOG than my JKUR, Dodge Ram and Land River, suddenly he wanted to know where I got mine and if they’re charging over MSRP.

I know gas prices are a sore point for many. But I just don’t get it.
Aside from political reasons of course… It’s not a big deal. I’m sure it is for some.
I got mine 2 months ago I'm crazy about it.. MPG ..lol more like SPG Smiles Per Gallon This is a dream come true for all us jeep lovers.. I love the bragging rights too HaHa !

Seriously. It seems that American politics in its current incarnation is one big the Onion article.

I try my best to pay less attention to it because it seems following it just pisses me off more. It's sad but true that not paying attention just makes me a happier person big time, so at this point in my life, that's what I'm doing.
1654623992158.png

Well, this digressed quick. As for the original reason for this post...my 392 is by far the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. But it's my very first new car and I definitely made it count! I'm sure there's plenty of groups that "flip" cars such as our 392 to make a quick profit, but that's exactly what the stealership did to me when I bought mine. I'm still embarrassed to even think about it. Now they want me to return to get it serviced. HAHA Not going to happen.

Lots of people will always be motivated by money, regardless of Autotrader or whatever else.

Well, this digressed quick. As for the original reason for this post...my 392 is by far the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. But it's my very first new car and I definitely made it count! I'm sure there's plenty of groups that "flip" cars such as our 392 to make a quick profit, but that's exactly what the stealership did to me when I bought mine. I'm still embarrassed to even think about it. Now they want me to return to get it serviced. HAHA Not going to happen.

Lots of people will always be motivated by money, regardless of Autotrader or whatever else.
I simply bought my 392 for the fun I knew it would bring and so far I, and my family, enjoy it way more than we even expected. I cannot imagine another vehicle out there that would be more fun to own and drive than this Jeep. Sure it costs a lot but while I plan for the future I live with the belief that you can't take it with you and we all need to enjoy life while we can and have the ability to. The only reason I would sell mine is if I decided to get one in different color.....For those looking for a quick buck, then the more power to you if that is what brings you joy.

I honestly rarely look at MPG on a window sticker, or the instant/average MPG in any of my vehicles. I don't care about fuel prices from the perspective that it's like water...I need it. Yeah it sucks to pay double what it used to be ( I'll take the guy with mean tweets back please!) but end of the day you gotta fill your tank. I do feel for people on fixed incomes/min wage but if they are buying a 100K V-8 vehicle then perhaps they bette re-evaluate their finances/budgeting. This jeep (when it arrives) will be more efficient than 2 of my others :) but I drive hard (think CODE 3), so once broken in I expect low MPG and trips to the gas station to get robbed by Pump #3 thanks for nothing Joey !:ROFLMAO:

Likely
Just yesterday has a guy asking me about mine and his main (and repeated) inquiry was about how much it costs to drive with fuel prices.
I believe most people hear “V-8” and balk at the thought of filling it up.
When I told him it actually got better MOG than my JKUR, Dodge Ram and Land River, suddenly he wanted to know where I got mine and if they’re charging over MSRP.

I know gas prices are a sore point for many. But I just don’t get it.
Aside from political reasons of course… It’s not a big deal. I’m sure it is for some.
If there is any interest, I'll receive my '22 392 XR sometime in the first part of July. It is Granite Crystal Metallic, with a three-piece hard top and every option I could put on it. I'll have it for sale when it arrives as I ordered a '23 392 SR Yesterday.

Back