Transfer Case Failure

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but just wanted to add my name to the growing list of transfer case failures. Mine failed at 2700 miles, and by failure, I mean full failure and inability to drive the vehicle forward or back. My SERV 4WD light originally came on at about 400 miles after a long road trip. In addition to the light, I noticed that at low speed (under 5mph) and full wheel deflection in either direction, it would feel like the front lockers were on and power sterring disabled - very sluggish through the turn basically (sorry, it's hard to explain).

After parking it overnight, it went off and only come back on very sporadically between 400 miles and 2700 miles (maybe 3 times over that period of time). My service center has been very responsive, concerned and engaged throughout thew process. They even sent me a photo of the transfer case fluid (below) to show how burned it was. They're not sharing a lot surrounding the exact cause of the failure, other than to say that the transfer case needs to be replaced. ETA on the parts (not currently backordered) is 5-7 days, mostly due to the long holiday weekend.

Image.jpg

They also mentioned that FCA corporate specifically "tagged" the case and have assigned a regional account manager to help keep the repair process moving along as swiftly and painlessly as possible.

This is the first Jeep vehicle I've ever owned, and so far, I've been pretty impressed with the way they are handling this. It's a bummer that the QC at the factory (and as part of the vehicle design) let me down - but they are handling it right in terms of making it right.

I would be very interested in hearing others experiences with this. I'll keep this thread updated with my own.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but just wanted to add my name to the growing list of transfer case failures. Mine failed at 2700 miles, and by failure, I mean full failure and inability to drive the vehicle forward or back. My SERV 4WD light originally came on at about 400 miles after a long road trip. In addition to the light, I noticed that at low speed (under 5mph) and full wheel deflection in either direction, it would feel like the front lockers were on and power sterring disabled - very sluggish through the turn basically (sorry, it's hard to explain).

After parking it overnight, it went off and only come back on very sporadically between 400 miles and 2700 miles (maybe 3 times over that period of time). My service center has been very responsive, concerned and engaged throughout thew process. They even sent me a photo of the transfer case fluid (below) to show how burned it was. They're not sharing a lot surrounding the exact cause of the failure, other than to say that the transfer case needs to be replaced. ETA on the parts (not currently backordered) is 5-7 days, mostly due to the long holiday weekend.

View attachment 21595

They also mentioned that FCA corporate specifically "tagged" the case and have assigned a regional account manager to help keep the repair process moving along as swiftly and painlessly as possible.

This is the first Jeep vehicle I've ever owned, and so far, I've been pretty impressed with the way they are handling this. It's a bummer that the QC at the factory (and as part of the vehicle design) let me down - but they are handling it right in terms of making it right.

I would be very interested in hearing others experiences with this. I'll keep this thread updated with my own.
Sorry this happened to you. But Jeep doesn’t make that t-case it is made at New Process. They have made Jeep transfer cases forever. Hope they get one in fast. There are 100’s of thousands of those t-cases on the road. So they should be easy to come by. Sounds like you will get a brand new one tho.

View attachment 21595

That is a bummer. I know it was said that the factory did not fill the transfer case up enough, and I saw something that told everyone to have them checked. I have 3900 miles on mine and so far so good. Hard wheeling with no issues. Hope you get it handled fast. I will say I will be changing my fluid every 10k miles just to be safe

View attachment 21595

That’s an awesome turnaround. Mine sat for 43 days waiting on a new transfer case.

That’s an awesome turnaround. Mine sat for 43 days waiting on a new transfer case.
Wtf. That’s brutal. I would actually cry if they made me wait that long. Sorry you went through that! Any issues with the new case?

Wtf. That’s brutal. I would actually cry if they made me wait that long. Sorry you went through that! Any issues with the new case?
No problems yet after seeing pavement. I’m honestly leery wheeling her again. Light came on after her maiden voyage to Moab. First time using 4H part time and 4L.

IMG_1339.jpeg

Will likely just wheel these two and pavement princess the 392.

IMG_2821.jpeg

View attachment 21595

Sorry I misspoke that new process made the t-case, it is actually a company named Magna Powertrain. Thus MP3022, sorry for the misinformation.

Got the dreaded transfer case symptoms mentioned in this thread. After a couple hour drive (never had any symptoms since new, August 22), went to put it away in the shop and got the front-locked feel when going around a corner. Slow speed, forward and reverse. Then the Service 4wd light came on. The t-case level was spot on from the factory. I checked fuses and connections; nothing too alarming. Changed the t-case fluid (6k miles). Took a sample; fluid looked almost new. Service light and symptoms cleared, but feel like I'm driving around a time bomb.

Got the dreaded transfer case symptoms mentioned in this thread. After a couple hour drive (never had any symptoms since new, August 22), went to put it away in the shop and got the front-locked feel when going around a corner. Slow speed, forward and reverse. Then the Service 4wd light came on. The t-case level was spot on from the factory. I checked fuses and connections; nothing too alarming. Changed the t-case fluid (6k miles). Took a sample; fluid looked almost new. Service light and symptoms cleared, but feel like I'm driving around a time bomb.
Just dropped mine off at the dealer this morning, the "front locked feel" that happens once in awhile, no service 4wd light however. They found a code for the "transfer case motor" had been thrown. Not sure what they are going to do, since it's not an active failure. A little over 10K on the clock...

Is it possible to unhook the clutch pack motor and not throw codes? Or turn it off with a Tazer?

Is it possible to unhook the clutch pack motor and not throw codes? Or turn it off with a Tazer?
Not sure, waiting to hear from dealer, they know I'm going to Moab and Colorado next month.

I took mine in today to have the T-case fluid changed. At just about 15k miles. The fluid that came out had a metallic look to it, almost like metallic paint, but no large chunks or shavings of concern. The shop owner said this isn’t unusual for the first change on a new case although had a little more of a metallic look than he was used to seeing. No issues so far, we’ll see.

IMG_5447.jpeg

They couldn't find anything obvious today, so I'm taking it in next Monday so they can open it up to see what's going on. A little nervous since I plan to go to Moab on Sept 1.

They couldn't find anything obvious today, so I'm taking it in next Monday so they can open it up to see what's going on. A little nervous since I plan to go to Moab on Sept 1.
Do you have a tazer?

Can you turn off the DTCM with a Tazer? Does the DTCM only control the clutch packs? Would 4H part time and 4L still work?

IMG_5228.jpeg

I seem to remember some folks have this issue and un-marrying the tazer solved it.

I seem to remember some folks have this issue and un-marrying the tazer solved it.
I am just not convinced it Tazer related because there’s a few saying they haven’t run taxers and had this I think bobbybigfish was one
But I did ping Tazer Joe to this thread or another awhile back and 👻 ghost

I am just not convinced it Tazer related because there’s a few saying they haven’t run taxers and had this I think bobbybigfish was one
But I did ping Tazer Joe to this thread or another awhile back and 👻 ghost
Mine has never seen a Tazer, no mods to speak of (unfortunately), and had the issue pop up. Going to put some miles on it and see if it happens again.

Back