Trail Rail System

Battle.Rattle

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
Sting Gray 2021 Rubicon 392
Did anyone else get this on their 392? I was wondering how you're using it. Where do you recommend I go to get accessories? Also, I'm trying to picture how the rail on the tailgate would be used.

TIA for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. 🤙

You're referring to the cargo rail system, correct? They're basically floor tie-downs. Never really used them on my '18 but they certainly made my option list for the 392. I just like having them IF I ever need them. May come in handy when open air off-roading.

As for the tailgate, I always heard that there was eventually going to be accessories like a swing-down surface that could mount to it, but I never saw anything hit the market. Guess you could strap in extinguishers? 🤷‍♂️

I got the system to secure my Dometic fridge and a few other metal/heavy equipment when offroadin/camping/overlanding. It is very useful when offroad so items needing securing stay secure.

I got the system to secure my Dometic fridge and a few other metal/heavy equipment when offroadin/camping/overlanding. It is very useful when offroad so items needing securing stay secure.
Do you use the rail on the tailgate?

Do you use the rail on the tailgate?
I have it on mine also and haven’t found a good use for tailgate rails yet… I want to put some bags for tools and other stuff but haven’t messed around with doing it yet. As Byhumba said, the floor rails i use for the same purposes he mentioned.

I've used it to strap my tools (tool roll) to it to have easy/quick access to them. I've also used it to strap my grill ( Flatpit) and first aid kit a few times. I think its use is for those items u need access to as soon as you open the gate.

I've used it to strap my tools (tool roll) to it to have easy/quick access to them. I've also used it to strap my grill ( Flatpit) and first aid kit a few times. I think its use is for those items u need access to as soon as you open the gate.
Agreed but I want to mount some ammo cans to mine at some point to keep hunting and camping gear for easy access… I just need to find some time to get my creative juices flowing and ill share at some point!

Agreed but I want to mount some ammo cans to mine at some point to keep hunting and camping gear for easy access… I just need to find some time to get my creative juices flowing and ill share at some point!
I'm very interested is seeing what you come up with. I'm seeing these great ideas but wonder how rattling would be minimized.

Did anyone else get this on their 392? I was wondering how you're using it. Where do you recommend I go to get accessories? Also, I'm trying to picture how the rail on the tailgate would be used.

I use the rail system to secure my mountain bike inside the vehicle when I go to local forest trails. I cut two rectangular holes through a 1” x 4” wooden board so the two rear tie downs protrude through the board enough that I can slide plastic wedges in between the top of the tie downs and the top of the board. Total cost was under $30 (bike clamp, board, wedges, bolts). The black nylon straps are for added stability.

I use the rail system to secure my mountain bike inside the vehicle when I go to local forest trails. I cut two rectangular holes through a 1” x 4” wooden board so the two rear tie downs protrude through the board enough that I can slide plastic wedges in between the top of the tie downs and the top of the board. Total cost was under $30 (bike clamp, board, wedges, bolts). The black nylon straps are for added stability.
That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• tempImagecY9LDJ.png
    tempImagecY9LDJ.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173

I bought am elastic cargo net and use it to keep groceries from sliding all around the back....not very Jeepish but.....

Wanted to bump this up to see if anybody else is using trail rail for much.... seems like a good idea but haven't seen much that I feel like I would use

Wanted to bump this up to see if anybody else is using trail rail for much.... seems like a good idea but haven't seen much that I feel like I would use
The Trail Rail System provides versatility, mainly because you can slide the tiedowns fore and aft to place them where they’re needed and you can also add more tiedowns. In this setup, the two left and right aft tiedowns secure the fork mount board, and the tiedown just behind the left aft tiedown, secures the straps going to each bike bar end. This minimizes the amount of space the bike takes up, leaving plenty of room in the passenger seat and cargo area.

There’s also a Trail Rail across the top of the tailgate. I attached two tiedowns but haven’t found a use for them yet.

Although I like the Trail Rail System I could have gotten by without it as, I believe, a stock 392 comes standard with six tiedown loops..

tempImageTXZy7X.png

Last edited:

The tailgate rail is a great place to store extra tie down anchors.. Aside from that I havent seen anyone use it

Back