Tornado Could Replace The Beloved 392 Hemi V8 In The Grand Cherokee SRT

YukonCornelius

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
A Quarter Horse Named "Lex"
Really thinking, if true, the 392 Rubicon is most definitely a limited time in its run….
At least it’s not more EV talk…

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com...nado-twin-turbo-engine-at-new-york-auto-show/

I am a big fan of the in-line six - it just ain’t no HEMI!

Article says they could mate it with electric assist to boost hp.

Twin turbo sounds complicated. I jumped on the 392 because at least in my mind, it is a simple well proven platform. I want this car to last me at least 10 years, if not longer. The 392 will be like thise old defenders or FJs people gawk over imho.

It is clear v8s are on their last gasps.

Yup.

***sigh***

Straight sixes are great engines. Loved the 4.0L in my 1994 Cherokee. I wish the rest of the Cherokee lasted as long as the engine ... Loved the 3.2L in my old 1998 E36 M3/4/5. Great car, great engine. I'm sure they'll do something great with this. Also sure the 6.4 will hold it's value for years to come in this platform...

I'm sorry I just don't have a lot of faith in Stellantis they have a history of ruining car company's with their practice of cost cutting and just making crap cars, I do like I-6 engines "IF" there built on a solid design as in 7 main bearings and strong bottom ends like the Jeep 4.0, Ford I-6 300 and Chrysler slant I-6, these are some of the top 250k to 300k mile motors that can take a beating, I would like to see what this new 3.0 I-6 has in it for longevity wise being it's turbo charged with all the emission crap on it. I'm sorry but with Stellantis running the show I think it will be just some more of their crap being produced. I hope they don't ruin Jeep, Ram and Dodge. They have some good product's. Why the rush to change everything overnight. IDK?? I'm all for making car's more efficient and renewable energy but lets do it smart and not put all of are egg's in one basket all at once.

Article says they could mate it with electric assist to boost hp.

Twin turbo sounds complicated. I jumped on the 392 because at least in my mind, it is a simple well proven platform. I want this car to last me at least 10 years, if not longer. The 392 will be like these old defenders or FJs people gawk over imho.

It is clear v8s are on their last gasps.
Maybe the V8 isn't dead yet, just another source of fuel.

Toyota and Yamaha

I’d love to see a hydrogen V8… Toyota makes a really cool hydrogen car today but it’s only in a very small market and only in CA. No one ever undertook the initiative for infrastructure buildout.

Back