The Hemi is officially canceled. Get em while you can

Maybe they do cancel it but so far it's just that one guy saying it and he spent 75% of his article giving his political/climate opinion so I'm not ready to take it as a fact just yet. If it was being canceled, I feel like more people would be writing about it.

SRT Division was shut down. Stellantis has already stated Hellcats are dead. They also had a big video announcement with CEO a few months ago stating they were going to be electric with performance in mind. They had some teasers of a new muscle car (maybe a 'Cuda) that is clearly electric or some sort of hybrid.

SRT Division was shut down. Stellantis has already stated Hellcats are dead. They also had a big video announcement with CEO a few months ago stating they were going to be electric with performance in mind. They had some teasers of a new muscle car (maybe a 'Cuda) that is clearly electric or some sort of hybrid.
Yea I think we can all see it coming. I just don't think there's anything official yet. One random guy wrote an article saying it but that's all that's out there. Jeep just opened up 2022 orders for the 392 too so it's not like they quit making them. That was just one guy that wanted to talk about his political/climate opinion and used a clickbait article title to get us to read it.

Yea I think we can all see it coming. I just don't think there's anything official yet. One random guy wrote an article saying it but that's all that's out there. Jeep just opened up 2022 orders for the 392 too so it's not like they quit making them. That was just one guy that wanted to talk about his political/climate opinion and used a clickbait article title to get us to read it.

Yeah, I think the real question is when do they officially pull the plug. I'm guessing within next three years. There were already rumors there wouldn't be a 2022 392. I'm pulling trigger on 392 as I figure they won't be making them long and this variant is likely to be a huge collector model going forward kind of like an older Land Rover Defender or air cooled 911s.

Yeah, I think the real question is when do they officially pull the plug. I'm guessing within next three years. There were already rumors there wouldn't be a 2022 392. I'm pulling trigger on 392 as I figure they won't be making them long and this variant is likely to be a huge collector model going forward kind of like an older Land Rover Defender or air cooled 911s.
I went back and forth on the 392 and the RIvian R1S SUV. Just a taaaaad different lol. We have 2 Wrangler's and 2 Grand Cherokee's but the Rivian was appealing. Like you, I went 392 bc I feel like it was my last shot as a Jeep like this. We'll go electric on my wife's next SUV. Electric cars are fun to drive. Take some adjustment as far as charging but still fun to drive.

When will someone actually address that our "built for 50 year" electrical grids are over 70 years and failing at an astonishing rate? Our infrastructure (or that of any nation globally) can't sustain this "all electric" push in the next 50 years let alone this 8 year out (2030) mandate. But hey, let's kill ICE all together. Remember, it was the gas guzzling V8 that reshaped America's central plains landscape 6 million years ago and left us with an uninhabitable Grand Canyon. It was the SUV's that drained the oceans to make Texas from ocean bottom 10 million years ago. It's definitely us V8, gas-guzzling, Jeep and SUV driving inconsiderate conscious-less environment-stomping rednecks that cause the planet temps to fluctuate through the ages. Sorry. I'll stop my rant.

I just wish at least ONE manufacturer would stand up to politicians for once! SAVE THE V-8!!!!! Electric is certainly part of the future, but it does not have to be THE ONLY future!

Not sure how this thread earns "officially" in the title. The author of the article is hardly a spokesperson for FCA or Stellantis.

Hopefully that's just a rumor or click bait..

It confirms the v8 (6.2 liter) is going away in 2023. 2024 will electric muscle cars....

From the article you linked....from Dodge spokesperson:

The Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger vehicle platforms as you know them today, along with the Hellcat powertrain, will continue production through 2023. In 2024, Dodge will transition to new platforms, new electrified muscle cars (the next generation of that platform will be a BEV, which will be shown in concept-car form Q1 or Q2 2022). We will release additional details in regard to our future Dodge product plans over the next 24 months.”

The 392 may hang on a little while longer, but Hellcat is dead. I suspect they will make their halo muscle car electric for performance numbers and then phase in electric for the lower models.

I saw a similar news item a week or two ago. The biggest reason is because they are getting "fined" from the government for every Hellcat motor they produce. I'm sure the 392 is in that same category.

Follow the money. Not thinking politics has much, if anything to do with the possible discontinuation of the hemi. If anything the performance of electric vehicles over ICE is becoming so stark that the roar of a V8 doesn't sell cars. Ever see the race between the fabled Demon and a Tesla Plaid? So FCA is seeing where it can make the most $$$ and it is not with ICE vehicles. Government has very little to do with it no matter what the stumpfucks want you to believe as support of their conspiratorial agendas.

Follow the money. Not thinking politics has much, if anything to do with the possible discontinuation of the hemi. If anything the performance of electric vehicles over ICE is becoming so stark that the roar of a V8 doesn't sell cars. Ever see the race between the fabled Demon and a Tesla Plaid? So FCA is seeing where it can make the most $$$ and it is not with ICE vehicles. Government has very little to do with it no matter what the stumpfucks want you to believe as support of their conspiratorial agendas.
I suspect every hemi engine hurts FCA’s EPA score card for overall fleet mileage and carbon footprint; so the “government" is probably part of FCA’s decision matrix....and with this administration’s push (more like a shove) to go electric, I don’t see a bright future for ICE vehicles. Just my thoughts....

Last edited:
To say the government has nothing to do with demise of the ICE is pure Bull$hit! That's all I have to say about that...

Performance is certainly part of it, but government is attempting to regulate ICE out of existence so that is the bigger issue.

Current administration is loving the high gas prices (even if they won't outwardly admit it) as that it makes people more inclined to want more fuel efficient options. The higher gas prices, the better the math for electric. When gas prices are low, electric isn't as strong of a business case.

I think it will be awhile before ICE goes away but you will see more and more adoption among consumers and it will happen pretty quickly, particularly in more dense / urban areas.

Even if the HEMI goes away, enthusiasts will adapt to electric. Lack of sound not withstanding, the performance of electric is bonkers. The other cool thing is that it also makes some things more accessible and in fact more tunable than ICE. You can literally just hook a laptop up a car's ESC (electronic speed control) and tune practically everything to your liking with a few clicks of a mouse. Everything from throttle curves to drag brake to efficiency. You aren't needing to change out random parts, rebuilding motors, intakes, and all the other stuff ICE motors require when trying boost power.

It will be interesting to see how the off road world adapts

Get the HEMIs while you can. Sure they will be highly sought after collector items. I suspect the 392 will be very similar to an older Land Rover Defender. Still able to sell it for stupid amounts of money 10-20 years from now.

Back