The 392 Wrangler Speed Limiter Poll

Are you going to remove the speed limiter on your 392?

• No, you idjit

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • I’m considering it

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Yes, I plan to

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Yes, I already have

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HEAT392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Wouldn't you like to know
Would you remove the speed limiter / governor on your 392 Wrangler?

Feel free to say why

I’ll start, it’s not a priority for me as I traded a very nice sports car in for the Jeep and pocketed cash doing it.
I have a stable of toys and have a speed track near by enough so speeding past single moms, school buses, and the crowd coming out of bars in the middle of the night isn’t my priority.
I don’t see myself tracking the Jeep so I don’t know I need to remove the governor.
Shoutout to the Borla ATAK kit though. Exactly what I am looking for out of my wrangler.

What say you?

Yes, I’ll decide when to let off, not some stupid computer.

I don't plan to go 110 in a Jeep on 37s so it doesn't bother me at all. I guess it'd be fun to go to a track but I doubt I ever would.
I agree with this. If they ever limited how quickly I could get up to speed I would be pissed. Top speed doesn’t matter to me above about 85.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO! LOL! I've had plenty of fast cars, hitting the limiter is this guy at 110 is more "exhilarating" then those fast cars at 140-160. Fast cars are meant to go fast, this thing is about as floaty at that speed as my '62 Cadillac is at 50 mph! LOL

99 mph top speed sucks, especially when this thing gets up there so quickly :p.

But seriously, it was really annoying being shut down at 99mph at the track.

I agree with this. If they ever limited how quickly I could get up to speed I would be pissed. Top speed doesn’t matter to me above about 85.
I mean, my cruise is set at 85 on the Interstate here. If I need to quickly pass a couple cars before we all reach a slow Semi convoy so I don't get stuck behind the guy leading 5 cars under the speed limit I may hit the limiter and it comes up super quick with this much power. I'd prefer to remove it altogether but I also am not going to void the warranty and technically it's the wife's annoyance now... 🤣

99 mph top speed sucks, especially when this thing gets up there so quickly :p.

But seriously, it was really annoying being shut down at 99mph at the track.
If you want to go to the track just change your tire size (smaller) with JScan or Tazer to fool the ECM into thinking you are going slower than you really are. :devilish:

In my case, with XR's top 110 mph, I'm totally fine. I do over 100 on the HOV lanes when I feel the mood. Most of the highway driving is just 70-90. So speed limiter is good for my needs. I get the 392 for 0-60 fun and even if one day I take it to the drag race, 110 should serve well.

Some of the opinions are likely swayed by where you live and drive. If you live in the mountains, you’re probably not doing 100 mph anywhere. Likewise for busy metro areas, or places with lots of traffic lanes for passing. I don’t think I understand the need to go 100 mph to pass someone doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone to start with, but I guess in some parts of the country maybe that’s a thing especially on 2 and 4 lane roads. Where I live we call those people organ donors.

I mean, my cruise is set at 85 on the Interstate here. If I need to quickly pass a couple cars before we all reach a slow Semi convoy so I don't get stuck behind the guy leading 5 cars under the speed limit I may hit the limiter and it comes up super quick with this much power. I'd prefer to remove it altogether but I also am not going to void the warranty and technically it's the wife's annoyance now... 🤣
If he's going under the speed limit, do you really need to hit 110+ to pass him quickly?

Some of the opinions are likely swayed by where you live and drive. If you live in the mountains, you’re probably not doing 100 mph anywhere. Likewise for busy metro areas, or places with lots of traffic lanes for passing. I don’t think I understand the need to go 100 mph to pass someone doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone to start with, but I guess in some parts of the country maybe that’s a thing especially on 2 and 4 lane roads. Where I live we call those people organ donors.
lol same. If you need to hit 110 to pass someone, maybe you shouldn't be passing them. I totally get it at the track or a private road. Going fast is fun af. But if you're doing 110+ by me with my wife and kid in the car, you're a a reckless asshole and I hope that ticket is expensive.

If he's going under the speed limit, do you really need to hit 110+ to pass him quickly?
Yep, I can't stand those people who just lightly creep by someone at their cruise speed which might be a half mile an hour more and block other cars who are going faster from passing and getting on with their drive. They can clearly see the line of 5 cars behind them wanting to get by but don't care and just creep past. If Im coming up on a line of cars in the right, I'll accelerate from my cruise speed to get by quickly so that if anyone else wants to move over I don't block them in.

lol same. If you need to hit 110 to pass someone, maybe you shouldn't be passing them. I totally get it at the track or a private road. Going fast is fun af. But if you're doing 110+ by me with my wife and kid in the car, you're a a reckless asshole and I hope that ticket is expensive.
Get out on the Autobahn some time, it would be an eye opener. Speed is not inherently dangerous, weaving and tailgating are and the guy going too slow is usually more of a danger to everyone else than the guy going too fast.

Yep, I can't stand those people who just lightly creep by someone at their cruise speed which might be a half mile an hour more and block other cars who are going faster from passing and getting on with their drive. They can clearly see the line of 5 cars behind them wanting to get by but don't care and just creep past. If Im coming up on a line of cars in the right, I'll accelerate from my cruise speed to get by quickly so that if anyone else wants to move over I don't block them in.

Get out on the Autobahn some time, it would be an eye opener. Speed is not inherently dangerous, weaving and tailgating are and the guy going too slow is usually more of a danger to everyone else than the guy going too fast.
If they are going under the speed limit (69 or slower), doing 90 will zoom by them very quickly. Like really really quick. If you need to hit 100 to pass them quickly, they are doing 90+. If you wan to go 100+, cool. I'd prefer it not be around me with kid in the car, but so be it. But saying you need to hit 100+ to pass someone doing 65 is just objectively funny.

If they are going under the speed limit (69 or slower), doing 90 will zoom by them very quickly. Like really really quick. If you need to hit 100 to pass them quickly, they are doing 90+. If you wan to go 100+, cool. I'd prefer it not be around me with kid in the car, but so be it. But saying you need to hit 100+ to pass someone doing 65 is just objectively funny.
Speed limit is 80 here, most vehicles on it have the cruise set at 84-85 as there's no penalty until you hit 5 over. The occasional driver will be doing 75-79 but even going the limit is impeding the flow of most normal traffic. Going around quickly is the polite thing to do so the guy going 82 ahead of you doesn't get pinned in behind the one guy doing 75 or the line of 4 semi's when 1 going 70.25 decides to take 5 miles to pass the next 3 that are going 70.2...

Last edited:

I just hope for your sake (and theirs) that someone in that line of 5 cars doesn’t misjudge your speed and pull out in front of you to pass as well. Wish you the best, and hope you consider all scenarios.

Speed limit is 80 here, most vehicles on it have the cruise set at 84-85 as there's no penalty until you hit 5 over.
Even at 79, doing 90-95 will blow by the other car. Blowing by cars doing 100+ is reckless, there's no other way to put it. There's no real life scenario where you need to go 100+. Maybe rural road with nobody around and trying to get to a hospital or something. Do as you like, just hope you don't kill someone doing it. (y)

To my point of regional differences affecting opinions….

C79352E3-9A66-4850-ABFF-5187AD3FDE91.png

Back