Tazer - Anyone Pin Lock Successfully? Works great Jeep is not driveable for the Owner even!!

Smess

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Jeep 392, 2021 Jeep Gladiator, 1982 Jeep J10
Folllowed the, as always, wonderful instructions and when I enter the pin the countdown does not stop and at the end the brakes apply so my Gladiator is not driveable.

has anyone successfully done the firmware update on the tazer and done the pin and is working for them?

I upgraded the software about a month ago when the PIN lock was offered. Most of the time works fine, sometimes have to reenter the PIN more than once. If it won't start, it will once you disconnect the Tazer and reconnect the SGWM.

Last edited:
Folllowed the, as always, wonderful instructions and when I enter the pin the countdown does not stop and at the end the brakes apply so my Gladiator is not driveable.

has anyone successfully done the firmware update on the tazer and done the pin and is working for them?
I don't use the PIN feature, but I did update the firmware this week.

I uncovered an issue with the Mac version of the updater app. For now you cannot update to the latest version of the firmware using a Mac. I contacted support and they are looking into it.

I was able to use a Windows machine to get the newest firmware installed without issue.

I use the pin feature. Works fine. I usually wait until all the startup stuff happens (5-10 seconds) before entering.

No issues with my pin lock.
their instructions aren’t the best.

Last edited:
Never could get it to work, had to remove Tazer. ridiculous

• Wow
Reactions: RJP
The issue is the instructions aren’t clear. They indicate you keep one button pressed while tapping in your code.
Once you’re there, you must release the left column button, then tap in your code and do two sleep cycles.
It’s definitely finicky.

I don't use the PIN feature, but I did update the firmware this week.

I uncovered an issue with the Mac version of the updater app. For now you cannot update to the latest version of the firmware using a Mac. I contacted support and they are looking into it.

I was able to use a Windows machine to get the newest firmware installed without issue.
I emailed and messaged them about this problem as well. I’ve never had issues updating until the latest update on my Mac.

I installed the TAZER JL mini in our 23 jeep XR 392 shortly after the Pin option became available (because we live just south of Seattle, and things are terrible around here!). It was more of a pain most of the time because the pin entry would fail way too often. but I just turned the jeep off, started the jeep up again, entered the pin and it would take it just fine.

After the latest update ( early/mid January) to the TAZER JL mini.. there was a pin update that was installed and it works sooo much better now!. It has a Longer countdown and if you press the wrong sequence to the pin it allows it to time out quickly so you can re-enter it again

I used the PIN lock feature for a week on vacation and Jeep was parked outside. It pretty much always worked but a time or two I had to re-enter the code even though I am pretty sure I had it right the first time. A couple of times when I was getting used to in I shifted into D or R and could immediately feel the brakes locking up.

Just my two cents, as someone who used to develope custom firmware for a living, I would never install one of these.

I'm truely curious why?
For context I built and deployed computer systems and equipment to Afghanistan. The general principle when building self contained systems is to avoid updating them while they are in operation. They need to function more as an appliance rather than a system that can receive OTA updates. You're just introducing variables not necessarily considered by the original engineering team. Unless I saw the test and acceptance plan from tazer I'd never let a third party update my vehicle.

For the same reason I would never buy a Tesla

For context I built and deployed computer systems and equipment to Afghanistan. The general principle when building self contained systems is to avoid updating them while they are in operation. They need to function more as an appliance rather than a system that can receive OTA updates. You're just introducing variables not necessarily considered by the original engineering team. Unless I saw the test and acceptance plan from tazer I'd never let a third party update my vehicle.

For the same reason I would never buy a Tesla
Thank you. Appreciate the explanation.

Back