STOLEN: Black 392 Wrangler

Exactly :) mine is called USAA. This is my first new car and I found out you can add +25% new car coverage that will help cover the higher cost of replacing a new car vs old car.

Honestly the fact that it would takes time to "figure out" how to defeat the Ravelco system would make most 'professional' (organized crime) car theft crews wonder if it's worth that effort. Things like using the same wire tape, armoring the wire bundle, running connections in the same color wire, making connections in the engine compartment by passing through the firewall, all help muddy the waters and slow down the process. The only thing I am not sure of is if there is a way to just tie all the connections together and bypass the Ravelco or if that would short out the required circuits and essentially brick the car. Also is there any chance that my Jeep service department might try and pull the "that violates the warranty" card.

@DavyBoy Thank you for sharing your experience with the Ravelco! It really helps to hear from someone who has this system installed.
@Turboencabulator, I appreciate your comments/thoughts on this topic. I am an Electrical Engineer and I believe this is the best kill switch option out there, or I would not have spent so much $ to get one. You have probably already researched the details of the Ravelco kill switch, but I would like to emphasize that this switch has 16 pins and a would be thief would have to connect the exact right pins together to start the jeep. And each switch scrambles the pins differently, so that it is almost impossible for two vehicles to have the same connection pins. Shorting them all together will not do the trick because it would short the ground wire to all the pins which would kill (ground) all the pins. On the Jeep392 there are two functions disabled, either of which will prevent the Jeep from starting. So on our Jeeps I believe that a would be thief would have to connect at least 4 of 16 pins together correctly (and maybe 5 for the ground). For some vehicles, it is my understanding that there may be 3 functions disabled which would require 6 (or 7) pins connected correctly. Certainly, it is possible to defeat the switch, but it would take a lot of time, which as you stated, thieves generally do not have. However if someone wants the Jeep, with enough effort they will eventually get it (towing is most likely).

Also, I did not mention in my previous post that I protect my key fobs in a faraday cage bag so stealing my RF code is very difficult. The bag is inconvenient, but another level of protection. I hate thieves!

BTW, I would prefer USAA, but when I tried to join the Navy after college, I was turned down because I have chronic asthma. And THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND/OR YOUR FAMILIES!

Last edited:
Exactly :) mine is called USAA. This is my first new car and I found out you can add +25% new car coverage that will help cover the higher cost of replacing a new car vs old car.

Honestly the fact that it would takes time to "figure out" how to defeat the Ravelco system would make most 'professional' (organized crime) car theft crews wonder if it's worth that effort. Things like using the same wire tape, armoring the wire bundle, running connections in the same color wire, making connections in the engine compartment by passing through the firewall, all help muddy the waters and slow down the process. The only thing I am not sure of is if there is a way to just tie all the connections together and bypass the Ravelco or if that would short out the required circuits and essentially brick the car. Also is there any chance that my Jeep service department might try and pull the "that violates the warranty" card.

@DavyBoy Thank you for sharing your experience with the Ravelco! It really helps to hear from someone who has this system installed.

I've had USAA for years. They are a bit more expensive than some other options; however, whenever I've needed them they have always been there, no questions asked. And of course they offer 20% above actual cash value in the event of a Total Loss, which was definitely an option I selected.

Attachments

• 20% above actual cash value.JPG
    20% above actual cash value.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 97
I am an Electrical Engineer and I believe this is the best kill switch option out there, or I would not have spent so much $ to get one.... Shorting them all together will not do the trick because it would short the ground wire to all the pins which would kill (ground) all the pins. On the Jeep392 there are two functions disabled, either of which will prevent the Jeep from starting.... BTW, I would prefer USAA, but when I tried to join the Navy after college, I was turned down because I have chronic asthma. And THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND/OR YOUR FAMILIES!
Thank you @DavyBoy! I was really wondering how the Ravelco system worked and the 2 function disable with a hidden ground is exactly what I have read on other mechanics forums. And I agree that the old wire them together randomly or all into one and pray it works... won't work. The only way to "defeat" it would be to run down all the wires into the engine bay and close the circuits manually, which is going to take a very long time and a lot of work. I think the Ravelco system is by far the best way to go for installing a kill switch. And remember car thieves don't want to steal YOUR car, they want to steal A car.

I am super stoked that FCA/Dodge/Stellantis/Jeep might incorporate the Dodge New Theft deterrent measures. Particularly the Enhanced Security Mode, or 4-digit key code to limit engine power to less than 3hp. Assuming that is "baked in" to the engine computer that would be 2-factor security (something you have: the key fob & something you know: the 4-digit PIN code). Now you could take this to silly levels by having a 3-factor authentication system using an air-gapped key-chain authentication fob that is unlocked with a thumbprint scan (think iPhone) then you enter the randomly generated code into the jeep radio unit. But that is just silly because any smart thief would just go steal a tow truck then use it to tow off your car. ;)
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.49.04 AM.png

@justinB I agree USAA has been great I have had them for 20+ years and never had an issue. I was incorrect when I said the new car purchase assistance was 25% it is actually 20% like you said. As a side note check out their Personal Computer Coverage it covers your laptop against theft but more importantly coffee spills of power surges. I have used it once and it was worth every penny.

IMG_56FE160C9E4E-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Ditto on USAA. Been a member for decades since I was an Army officer. After reading this thread, I already installed the Gorilla locking lug nut system and the Rampage locking hood latches. Could not use the Bolt lock as I have the trail cam.

Sorry to hear that sir. Like I stated in a previous thread I had a brand new 1993 LX 5.0 Mustang stolen within a few months of ownership. This situation does make you wonder if they had to work hard to open the hood where most of the electronics are (not all) then would this have happen? Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how we look at it one can place lock external on a Jeep’s hood. Most vehicles once a subject is inside the cabin of a vehicle they can pop the hood. So…this may accelerate my purchase of a BOLT brand lock kit for the hood. I am very sorry about your experience. I would like to say you will get over it but from a car guys perspective you will probably look over your shoulder after parking your next vehicle for a long time. Very sad for you. Take care.

I was just wondering about that…. Thanks for the update.

Also as an update I reached out to RAVELCO because I am not near a dealer and they sent me an email back stating:

“Unfortunately, RAVELCO is without a Dealer or Distributor in your area. Until we can find and establish a reputable representative in your area, you can buy a RAVELCO Anti Theft Device directly from us (the manufacturer) and have it installed by your own local auto dealer or mechanic shop Please send $439.95 - US Dollars +$24.95 for shipping US”

So RAVELCO does sell to the public based on location. They include specific wiring instructions based on you vehicle which would be interesting to see how they do it. I would guess the unique plug wiring path is what provides the security. Also I read that the wiring bundle has the potential for a short in the canon plug harness that prevents a thief from just jumping contacts randomly (or just jumping all contacts) to find a combo that works.
It takes someone who knows what they're doing at least an hour to install, which includes the individual bypasses. I am an auto mechanic and had given thought to the DIY method but said "hell no!" after reading the instructions.

I tossed the key fob to my neighbor and told him he could have the jeep if he could get it started... the Ravelco allows them to think they can start it and drive it away, but that is not the case. I know one of the bypassed/locked out circuits is the fuel pump... so it won't even start.

Ditto on USAA. Been a member for decades since I was an Army officer. After reading this thread, I already installed the Gorilla locking lug nut system and the Rampage locking hood latches. Could not use the Bolt lock as I have the trail cam.
Does anyone have a remedy for securing the strap in the front of center console that allows the Transmission to be put into neutral without the engine running? That seems to be the most prevelant theft method for the Hellcats and other high performance MOPARS. On my TrackHawk, I was able to fabricate a metal strap and secure it with tamper resistant screws to hinder/prevent someone from quickly accessing the strap that can be pulled to put the Transmission in neutral allowing the vehicle to be pushed or towed. The 392s or JLs in general don't seem to have enough room in the compartment to do something similar.
tempImageS7s4UK.png
tempImagelq78xr.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have a remedy for securing the strap in the front of center console that allows the Transmission to be put into neutral without the engine running? That seems to be the most prevelant theft method for the Hellcats and other high performance MOPARS. On my TrackHawk, I was able to fabricate a metal strap and secure it with tamper resistant screws to hinder/prevent someone from quickly accessing the strap that can be pulled to put the Transmission in neutral allowing the vehicle to be pushed or towed. The 392s or JLs in general don't see to have enough room in the compartment to do something similar.View attachment 2564View attachment 2565
Superglue?
:)

@Turboencabulator, I appreciate your comments/thoughts on this topic. I am an Electrical Engineer and I believe this is the best kill switch option out there, or I would not have spent so much $ to get one. You have probably already researched the details of the Ravelco kill switch, but I would like to emphasize that this switch has 16 pins and a would be thief would have to connect the exact right pins together to start the jeep. And each switch scrambles the pins differently, so that it is almost impossible for two vehicles to have the same connection pins. Shorting them all together will not do the trick because it would short the ground wire to all the pins which would kill (ground) all the pins. On the Jeep392 there are two functions disabled, either of which will prevent the Jeep from starting. So on our Jeeps I believe that a would be thief would have to connect at least 4 of 16 pins together correctly (and maybe 5 for the ground). For some vehicles, it is my understanding that there may be 3 functions disabled which would require 6 (or 7) pins connected correctly. Certainly, it is possible to defeat the switch, but it would take a lot of time, which as you stated, thieves generally do not have. However if someone wants the Jeep, with enough effort they will eventually get it (towing is most likely).

Also, I did not mention in my previous post that I protect my key fobs in a faraday cage bag so stealing my RF code is very difficult. The bag is inconvenient, but another level of protection. I hate thieves!

BTW, I would prefer USAA, but when I tried to join the Navy after college, I was turned down because I have chronic asthma. And THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND/OR YOUR FAMILIES!
I encourage everyone to pressure Stellantis for the security program upgrade they are putting in the hellcats and other high end Dodge vehicles. Jeep Chat can't help, they are getting stonewalled by their superiors. They (Stellantis) know what the problem is, it's just not a priority (we have already bought a Jeep).

I think the easiest fix to disable the gear selector would be to put a hard switch (hidden) inline with the transmission release switch.
I did this on my Land Rover years ago. Worked very well. The only option to steal it then is to drag it onto a flatbed Or a tow bar with a dolly.
Truth is, if somebody wants it bad enough, theres nothing that can be done to prevent theft entirely.

Does anyone have a remedy for securing the strap in the front of center console that allows the Transmission to be put into neutral without the engine running? That seems to be the most prevelant theft method for the Hellcats and other high performance MOPARS. On my TrackHawk, I was able to fabricate a metal strap and secure it with tamper resistant screws to hinder/prevent someone from quickly accessing the strap that can be pulled to put the Transmission in neutral allowing the vehicle to be pushed or towed. The 392s or JLs in general don't seem to have enough room in the compartment to do something similar.View attachment 2564View attachment 2565
Sorry, old thread and this has been answered somewhere I am sure but can you explain with a little more detail where this strap is? Am I seeing it in the second picture? I have never heard of this. There are times we want the trans in neutral without the engine running but I did not know it was possible with the push button start.

Sorry, old thread and this has been answered somewhere I am sure but can you explain with a little more detail where this strap is? Am I seeing it in the second picture? I have never heard of this. There are times we want the trans in neutral without the engine running but I did not know it was possible with the push button start.
Please see the attached photos.

Attachments

• tempImage7eXWTv.png
    tempImage7eXWTv.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
  • tempImagezPtN5F.png
    tempImagezPtN5F.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
  • tempImagePISPGf.png
    tempImagePISPGf.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
Please see the attached photos.
Thanks! I had no idea.

Did you ever find a solution for your question, now that I completely understand it? If secured in the console is it still possible it could be activated from under the Jeep?

Thanks! I had no idea.

Did you ever find a solution for your question, now that I completely understand it? If secured in the console is it still possible it could be activated from under the Jeep?
I have not found a solution to secure the strap that would at least slow a would-be thief down or hopefully discourage them all together like I did for my TrackHawk. I'm pretty sure there is a way to put the trans in neutral from beneath the vehicles but not sure how hard it would be to get sufficient access to the appropriate connections. TrackHawk is really low to the ground so that is a pretty good deterrent in that respect. Attached photos are what I did for the TrackHawk.

Attachments

• tempImageyUs0FE.png
    tempImageyUs0FE.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • tempImageFkwMy3.png
    tempImageFkwMy3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
Definitely sleep better at night at home…..and easily less worried when naked and have to walk away from it for any reason, when otherwise out and about.
I respect the hell out of you for walking away from your jeep naked!

How’s that possible that you can’t find it. Our 392 jl have gps tracking u get it in an app when u buy the damn truck🤔
Clearly hasn't read the thread yet decided to post a critical comment 🤔

Last week I contacted FCA and asked for an update to the letter I sent a month ago. (I was asking for the theft protection you referenced). I was told the letter was sent up the chain and that someone would contact me. Still waiting for a contact. I'm confident that we will have a security program upgrade (similar to what Dodge gets) available to us. Just don't know when.
Nice. Thanks for putting in the work!

Took the plunge and having the Ravelco installed in 2 weeks. Looking forward to having a little piece of mind when parking my car in the garage when I go to the office in Philly.

Back