STOLEN: Black 392 Wrangler

I learned about it from a video on stealing cars with the modern RF key fobs.... cars with auto door unlock and push button start, like our Jeeps. I believe these are actually less secure than autos from 10 - 12 years ago without push button start. There are many bag versions available, just google it. I chose this one:

Faraday Bag for Key Fob, Wisdompro WP4694 RFID Key Fob Protector RF Car Signal Blocking, Anti-Theft Pouch, Anti-Hacking Case Blocker - Black (PU Leather)
This is the one I bought and works really well.

MONOJOY Faraday Bag for Car Key Fob Protector, Keyless Signal Blocking Key fob Black Pouch Anti-Theft Remote Entry Smart Fob Case 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KZF64...abc_W093J6XC4QPYPD11H9QB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

@Membrain is correct!

I went to an installer. It took about 3.5 hours. You can also contact the dealer in some cases and they will send someone to you to install it. On the Ravelco web site you can find a dealer/installer for your location. I am in Kansas (like you) and had to wait about 3 - 4 weeks for new dealer to take the midwest region, then they had to train a local shop on installation before I could schedule the install.

@jmwillia, since you are in Kansas I believe the only installer is Mash Motors, Inc. (1616 S 125th St E, Wichita, KS 67207) Mike Mash is the owner and will take good care of you. Otherwise call the Dealer number for the Midwest region https://ravelcomidwest.com/ and schedule a tech to come to you.

It's been a long nervous wait to get the kill switch, but I believe it is the best solution out there!
Thanks for the information definitely going to get with them and get one installed.

Now that I finally picked mine up, these are the DV8 Hood locks, just another option. I've been a fan since the JK because you can adjust how tight the hood is held down so no flutter on the highway. They've added rubber covers so gunk doesn't get in the mechanism.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 193
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 198
Has anyone inquired about the key programming lockdown or "gimp" mode that Stellantis does/started doing on the Dodge vehicles? I asked two locals and they knew nothing of it, nor did the service departments. I'm really wanting the key programming lockdown to come to Jeep.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/ar...nces-three-new-theft-protection-measures.html
I am pushing FCA/Jeep and the dealership to see if they can get the same theft protection measures for our Jeeps. I pointed out that the dealership cars with the proximity remotes are vulnerable too. They should be worried.

@Membrain is correct!

I went to an installer. It took about 3.5 hours. You can also contact the dealer in some cases and they will send someone to you to install it. On the Ravelco web site you can find a dealer/installer for your location. I am in Kansas (like you) and had to wait about 3 - 4 weeks for new dealer to take the midwest region, then they had to train a local shop on installation before I could schedule the install.

@jmwillia, since you are in Kansas I believe the only installer is Mash Motors, Inc. (1616 S 125th St E, Wichita, KS 67207) Mike Mash is the owner and will take good care of you. Otherwise call the Dealer number for the Midwest region https://ravelcomidwest.com/ and schedule a tech to come to you.

It's been a long nervous wait to get the kill switch, but I believe it is the best solution out there!
They came to my house today and Installed the kill switch, guy was from KC, install looks excellent. Money well spent in my opinion.

They came to my house today and Installed the kill switch, guy was from KC, install looks excellent. Money well spent in my opinion.
Congrats! I am so much more at ease with the Ravelco kill switch installed!

Now that I finally picked mine up, these are the DV8 Hood locks, just another option. I've been a fan since the JK because you can adjust how tight the hood is held down so no flutter on the highway. They've added rubber covers so gunk doesn't get in the mechanism.
Thank You for turning me on to these DV8 hood locks! I don't have them installed yet as I just color matched them but they are pretty trick. I had the cheap locks on the Jeep for maybe a week, the $50 locks from Amazon that could easily be pried open.

Attachments

• 20211014_175438.jpg
    20211014_175438.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 20211017_125129.jpg
    20211017_125129.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20211017_134828.jpg
    20211017_134828.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 188
Thank You for turning me on to these DV8 hood locks! I don't have them installed yet as I just color matched them but they are pretty trick. I had the cheap locks on the Jeep for maybe a week, the $50 locks from Amazon that could easily be pried open.
Post pics of that color match once it's on! I picked up the black turnbuckles but sometimes the chrome that's still remaining bugs me

Post pics of that color match once it's on! I picked up the black turnbuckles but sometimes the chrome that's still remaining bugs me
Will Do (y)

I only matched the black mounts. I'm considering filling in the DV8 logo with red [Firecracker Red] then putting a clear coat over that. I didn't get the black turnbuckles. I'll post some pics once it's done.

I agree. Advanced Viper alarm system was bypassed when someone tried to steal my 2003 Rubicon...a $30 kill switch (like you said, basic [relay, switch, and wiring]) I put together saved it.
A kill switch is a good start and will prevent anyone using a “cloned key fob” from being successful. However, with the Dodge vehicles the prevalent method of their theft is breaking a rear window (so as not to set off the factory alarm) crawl in and disengage the transmission from park through the console, release the P-brake if applied and have others push it onto a trailer or tow it away somehow never even starting it. My solution is inbound, a MOPAR Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS) coming from moparonlineparts.com, PN/SKU 82216093AA, $369 for the system, and an annual subscription fee of either $199 for Silver or $299 for Gold. Gold allows for an unlimited number of tracking inquiries as well as other goodies while Silver only allows 200 tracking inquiries per year. Not only will it allow tracking of the vehicle but will notify the owner if someone is tampering with or attempting to get into the vehicle. Not sure what the installation cost will be, but the CDJR dealer I contacted said that they won't install it for me because I didn't purchase it from them but did recommend a business that specializes in car alarms, stereos, etc.

A kill switch is a good start and will prevent anyone using a “cloned key fob” from being successful. However, with the Dodge vehicles the prevalent method of their theft is breaking a rear window (so as not to set off the factory alarm) crawl in and disengage the transmission from park through the console, release the P-brake if applied and have others push it onto a trailer or tow it away somehow never even starting it. My solution is inbound, a MOPAR Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS) coming from moparonlineparts.com, PN/SKU 82216093AA, $369 for the system, and an annual subscription fee of either $199 for Silver or $299 for Gold. Gold allows for an unlimited number of tracking inquiries as well as other goodies while Silver only allows 200 tracking inquiries per year. Not only will it allow tracking of the vehicle but will notify the owner if someone is tampering with or attempting to get into the vehicle. Not sure what the installation cost will be, but the CDJR dealer I contacted said that they won't install it for me because I didn't purchase it from them but did recommend a business that specializes in car alarms, stereos, etc.
I agree with you, many high end vehicles get stolen with a tow truck. I purchased that EVTS with a year subscription. Seems like a great product. I want to try it for one year to see if it's worth renewing when the time comes. I tried installing a cheap kill switch on my 392, but all the new electronics and computers in new vehicles may be affected by installing such devices...and like you said, does not prevent getting taken with a tow truck.

It truly is shocking how fast someone can steal a car with one of those repo style trucks. My current SUV broke down a while back and I had to get it towed to the dealer. Problem was the tow guy showed up at my house while I was at work, so he couldn’t just take my car. Or so I thought! I told him I‘d be there to meet him in 5 to 10 minutes. I was shocked when I got home just 10 minutes later and saw a repo style tow truck, and that my SUV was already loaded up and ready to go. It had like a fork that lifted the front end, then slid something underneath to lift the back wheels too. It was so fast. It was shocking. My neighbor thought my car was being repossessed LOL.

I have been following this thread with interest. I used to work a job that had security protocols. We followed the principle of 3-factor security where you needed:
1. Something you HAVE (like a key FOB),
2. Something you KNOW (like a PIN code)
3. Something you ARE (thumbprint scanner)

I like the Ravelco Kill switch that @DavyBoy put in. It’s not a second factor but it is dead simple and effective. There is an interesting thread on the inner workings of a Revelco someone took apart on Jalopy Journal

Another option is the Autowatch Ghost 2 immobilizer that uses key pushes in the cabin (like the window switches, AUX switch, etc…) to enter a PIN code (2-factor security) to allow the vehicle to start. But after reaching out to them in Canada it is not currently available in the USA. Here is a demo of the system - Ghost 2 Demo

When (if) I get my 392 I plan to:
1. Instal locking hood latches (thanks @CBH )
2. Instal Mopar Wheel locks
3. Look into the the key programming lockdown or “gimp” mode that @YukonCornelius mentioned
4. And park in the garage
And maybe the Ravelco.

Thanks for all the good ideas and stay safe.

Last edited:
Has anyone inquired about the key programming lockdown or "gimp" mode that Stellantis does/started doing on the Dodge vehicles? I asked two locals and they knew nothing of it, nor did the service departments. I'm really wanting the key programming lockdown to come to Jeep.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/ar...nces-three-new-theft-protection-measures.html
Last week I contacted FCA and asked for an update to the letter I sent a month ago. (I was asking for the theft protection you referenced). I was told the letter was sent up the chain and that someone would contact me. Still waiting for a contact. I'm confident that we will have a security program upgrade (similar to what Dodge gets) available to us. Just don't know when.

I'm confident that we will have a security program upgrade (similar to what Dodge gets) available to us. Just don't know when.
I was just wondering about that…. Thanks for the update.

Also as an update I reached out to RAVELCO because I am not near a dealer and they sent me an email back stating:

“Unfortunately, RAVELCO is without a Dealer or Distributor in your area. Until we can find and establish a reputable representative in your area, you can buy a RAVELCO Anti Theft Device directly from us (the manufacturer) and have it installed by your own local auto dealer or mechanic shop Please send $439.95 - US Dollars +$24.95 for shipping US”

So RAVELCO does sell to the public based on location. They include specific wiring instructions based on you vehicle which would be interesting to see how they do it. I would guess the unique plug wiring path is what provides the security. Also I read that the wiring bundle has the potential for a short in the canon plug harness that prevents a thief from just jumping contacts randomly (or just jumping all contacts) to find a combo that works.

It would be good to install your own so that a person would have working knowledge of the system

I was just wondering about that…. Thanks for the update.

Also as an update I reached out to RAVELCO because I am not near a dealer and they sent me an email back stating:

“Unfortunately, RAVELCO is without a Dealer or Distributor in your area. Until we can find and establish a reputable representative in your area, you can buy a RAVELCO Anti Theft Device directly from us (the manufacturer) and have it installed by your own local auto dealer or mechanic shop Please send $439.95 - US Dollars +$24.95 for shipping US”

So RAVELCO does sell to the public based on location. They include specific wiring instructions based on you vehicle which would be interesting to see how they do it. I would guess the unique plug wiring path is what provides the security. Also I read that the wiring bundle has the potential for a short in the canon plug harness that prevents a thief from just jumping contacts randomly (or just jumping all contacts) to find a combo that works.
So @Turboencabulator, I liked your multi-layer security protocols post. I have the locking hood latches, the wheel locks, parking inside the garage at home, and now Ravelco. I am looking into a GPS system tracker solution (not the uconnect one as it is severely limited) and hoping Stellantis provides a solution as described by others. My last line of defense is "State Farm Auto Insurance".

I would suggest that you go for the Ravelco! I have googled solutions and read many first hand accounts of vehicle theft and the most effective seems to be a kill switch when the vehicle is not locked in a garage. Ravelco is a sophisticated kill switch and if a thef can defeat it, then so be it, as I know I have done all I can. It is worth the peace of mind. My installer told me it was a challenge to do it right, but I am sure you can find someone to do it in your area. Little things like using the same wiring harness wrapping tape (as the factory) for Ravelco wires that make it blend into the existing factory wiring is important. My installer showed me some of those details. The only theft approach that I have to be concerned with now, is towing it away and there is not much I can do about that, short of the GPS tracking device, which can be easily defeated.

My last line of defense is "State Farm Auto Insurance".
Exactly :) mine is called USAA. This is my first new car and I found out you can add +25% new car coverage that will help cover the higher cost of replacing a new car vs old car.

I would suggest that you go for the Ravelco!... Little things like using the same wiring harness wrapping tape (as the factory) for Ravelco wires that make it blend into the existing factory wiring is important. My installer showed me some of those details. The only theft approach that I have to be concerned with now, is towing it away and there is not much I can do about that, short of the GPS tracking device, which can be easily defeated.

Honestly the fact that it would takes time to "figure out" how to defeat the Ravelco system would make most 'professional' (organized crime) car theft crews wonder if it's worth that effort. Things like using the same wire tape, armoring the wire bundle, running connections in the same color wire, making connections in the engine compartment by passing through the firewall, all help muddy the waters and slow down the process. The only thing I am not sure of is if there is a way to just tie all the connections together and bypass the Ravelco or if that would short out the required circuits and essentially brick the car. Also is there any chance that my Jeep service department might try and pull the "that violates the warranty" card.

@DavyBoy Thank you for sharing your experience with the Ravelco! It really helps to hear from someone who has this system installed.

Back