Sting Gray or Hydro Blue

Q8_392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Wrangler 392
Hi there,
My preferred colors for the 392 are Sting Gray and Hydro Blue. After months of waiting the local Jeep dealer received two 392 wranglers, Sting Gray and Crystal Granite. Both are regular 392s as XR package is North America-Exclusive. I have not yet seen a blue one in person and I can't rely solely on internet pics. So, I'm hoping to get some inputs and feedbacks from actual owners (Sting Gray and Hydro Blue) that will help me decide.

- What is the general weather condition at your region?
- How is it holding up so far, any complaint?
- Under day light, does it look a bit too shiny for a jeep? (Hydro Blue owners)
- Have you applied ceramic coating or any PPF?
- Any tips or regrets?

Thanks,

Wait, are you asking about sting gray or granite crystal metallic?

I assume sting gray and you’re wondering if you should take the hydro or wait for a sting.

I was torn between Sting gray and Hydro. I ultimately went with Hydro and have zero regrets. There are ALOT of SG near me, and I wanted something that had a bit of pop. I love SG, in fact my wife has one.

I thought Hydro would be too much blue, but it isn’t. It also looks incredible in low light.

Here are two pics for reference.

Attachments

• 7C214D87-FCA3-4099-BDFD-2C4C20BE2236.jpeg
    7C214D87-FCA3-4099-BDFD-2C4C20BE2236.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 66BB5D04-A1E4-4B69-A232-28799DD95C08.jpeg
    66BB5D04-A1E4-4B69-A232-28799DD95C08.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 115
Wait, are you asking about sting gray or granite crystal metallic?

I assume sting gray and you’re wondering if you should take the hydro or wait for a sting.
Sting gray and hydro blue are my favorite colors on 392. I've seen the sting gray in person, but i have not yet seen the hydro blue. I would like to get some real inputs from actual owners to help me make a decision on whether to snatch the Sting Gray, or wait a month or two for the Hydro Blue.

I was torn between Sting gray and Hydro. I ultimately went with Hydro and have zero regrets. There are ALOT of SG near me, and I wanted something that had a bit of pop. I love SG, in fact my wife has one.

I thought Hydro would be too much blue, but it isn’t. It also looks incredible in low light.

Here are two pics for reference.
Thank you for the feedback and pics. I also think hydro is a little too much blue and maybe a bit too shiny being a pearl coat, but I need to see one in person.

Most people won’t care about this but you can also consider that you will also see that color on parts from the interior.

gray, black, gcm will blend better with the interior. Probably only a concern if you’re going to wrap in a different color.

I struggled with sting vs hydro.

I ultimately went with sting gray. I love it. Looks more utilitarian which was the vibe I really wanted with my 392. I get compliments ts on it all the time.

With that said, hydro looks great too especially in low light. I didn't care for it in bright light though. I saw someone did a stealth ppf (matte) on hydroblue and it looked phenomenal.

I was concerned about hydro being a bit too loud for me. I don't have a look at me personality and I also wanted my 392 to be more of a sleeper. Hemi cars and trucks are targeted for theft and car jackings around these parts so I figured a less loud color might help be a little less in your face so to speak

Welcome to the forum @Q8_392 - I don't think you can go wrong with either color! (I know that's not much help though.lol)

To talk further on what I said in my last post here. I was between Sarge and Sting. I even had a Sarge on order but switched it to sting. I still think Sarge edges out Sting by a little bit in my mind. However, I came up with the goal of adding black accents to the outside of sting (not going overboard), which I think looks really good, and then adding some sting painted accents to the inside (again not going overboard) so the stuff you see on the door surrounds and such blends into the interior.

However, another reason is that I'm considering a wrap. I'd love to do something like this, except a little lighter blue (think JK Arctic blue):

That would look wonky if I had Sarge parts showing, but it would look ok (in my mind) with a few sting parts showing on the inside. I'd love to get arctic blue wrap with an integrated replica of the 1941 upper body graphic, but in a gray that matches Sting. Just Empty Every Pocket.

My other thought is to get a flat blue wrap that is close to the effect of the paint job on my TTUE.

fj.jpg

I thought of Hydro for a quick sec, but as others said, it's a little louder what my personality likes for myself (but I love seeing other people's hydros!)

Last edited:
Thank all for your inputs, they were very helpful. I made a decision and snatched a SG. I can't wait to drive her home. i
Any tips or advice on paint protection?
I've read a little bit about ceramic coating and PPF, but I'm not quite sure I understood the difference between them or which one works better:unsure:

Attachments

• SG 392.jpg
    SG 392.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Thank all for your inputs, they were very helpful. I made a decision and snatched a SG. I can't wait to drive her home. i
I've read a little bit about ceramic coating and PPF, but I'm not quite sure I understood the difference between them or which one works better:unsure:

PPF is a clear or matte protective film that covers the paint and protects against chips, etc. Ceramic is some sort of treatment that makes it harder for dirt/dust/grime to stick to the paint so the car washes easiers.

I'd recommend getting PPF on the rear body flares. Rocks get kicked up. I've noticed a couple of chips on mine.

PPF is a clear or matte protective film that covers the paint and protects against chips, etc. Ceramic is some sort of treatment that makes it harder for dirt/dust/grime to stick to the paint so the car washes easiers.

I'd recommend getting PPF on the rear body flares. Rocks get kicked up. I've noticed a couple of chips on mine.
@Q8_392 - He ^^^ brings up a very valid point...especially where you live. I have been to Kuwait in the past and the sand (and sand storms) can really do a number on the paint. To the point where you don't see it right away, but over time it becomes very noticeable. Welcome to the forum!

Gray, the answer is always gray.

Granite Crystal was the color of my GC SRT. That color shows the slightest scratch.
Im not. A fan of blue on any vehicle, except the Toyota FJ40 of the early 70’s.
I do have the sting gray and really like it. Reminds me of the Sahara tan JKUR color. No metallic, just looks like primer that’s been clear coated.

I had a ceramic coating applied right after I got it in May. I have yet to need to wash her other than hosing it off at the car wash weekly.

I just got it from the dealership. Opted for the upper side graphics. Next is PPF.

Attachments

• 20220825_160904.jpg
    20220825_160904.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220825_160924.jpg
    20220825_160924.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 60
Back