Stiffer Ride??

cgrosen324

Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 Ford Raptor
I’ve had my 392 XR for almost a year and a half (hard to believe it’s been that long already) and I’m thinking about changing the springs and shocks for a stiffer ride. Actually, I’m not sure if that’s the correct route or if I’m even stating it correctly. I’ve taken two recent trips to UT and like CA and AZ the roads in the middle of the desert just suck. I’ve noticed quite a bit of lane wondering, not absorbing bumps and overall control on the road are lackluster at best when cruising at 80. The is my sixth Wrangler, so I know steering is pretty bad no matter what due to the solid front axle, but I’m hoping someone knows how to make this at least somewhat better. I do take it off pavement but no rock crawling. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone

Falcon 2.2 fast adjust steering stabilizer really stiffened up my steering, feels a lot tighter now, even with 38s and a 3.5” lift (I did also change my steering components out to Steer Smarts Yeti, but the stabilizer is what stiffened everything up as I drove for a week without it while the part was coming in and it was night and day). Handles bumps in the road much better than it did stock with much lighter 35s.

Clayton is known for having stiffer springs if that is what you are looking for, but I don’t think that will help with on road ride quality, generally a softer spring would. Another option would be to purchase adjustable shocks where you can dial in the stiffness to your liking. Both Fox and Teraflex are good options.

I have a RockKrawler 2.5 lift with their triple rated springs, and the fox 2.5 DSC adjustable shocks. Also the fox steering stabilizer. There is a clear difference with the stabilizer all the way tight vs open. I’m not saying that it takes all the wondering out but it did clean it up. The shocks are fun the play with, you can really dial in how firm or soft the ride is. It’s not an instant fix, it takes trail and error and deciding which ride you want the most. I do a lot of interstate driving and I drive it like a race car (gas mileage is almost 10) mine is dialed in for the interstate to feel like butter. My off road settings are firmer, I can tell pretty quick when I forget to change my settings back. I’m on 37x13.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers for reference
Question for 762…what’s your take on the Steer Smart? I haven’t felt the need to make my steering any better with my set up, but it is a Jeep and can always be improved.

I have a RockKrawler 2.5 lift with their triple rated springs, and the fox 2.5 DSC adjustable shocks. Also the fox steering stabilizer. There is a clear difference with the stabilizer all the way tight vs open. I’m not saying that it takes all the wondering out but it did clean it up. The shocks are fun the play with, you can really dial in how firm or soft the ride is. It’s not an instant fix, it takes trail and error and deciding which ride you want the most. I do a lot of interstate driving and I drive it like a race car (gas mileage is almost 10) mine is dialed in for the interstate to feel like butter. My off road settings are firmer, I can tell pretty quick when I forget to change my settings back. I’m on 37x13.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers for reference
Question for 762…what’s your take on the Steer Smart? I haven’t felt the need to make my steering any better with my set up, but it is a Jeep and can always be improved.
Between the 38s and 3.5” lift on mine I wanted to make sure I had a little more strength in the steering, especially since I take it off-road regularly enough. They are much thicker and more solid then the stock components to keep the components from wearing down as quickly under the heavier load of a 38” tire. Also the SteerSmarts components are all adjustable, as opposed to stock which is not. This allows me to dial in better angles given the higher lift I have. I probably could have gotten away with the stock components, but I don’t think they would take the long term abuse offroad nearly as well as the beefier and more finely tuned steer smarts components.

Thanks for the responses 👍 I already have the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer and I agree - it helped that steering dead zone quite a bit. Maybe I’ll try the adjustable shocks route…?

Back