Smoked LED tail modification HELP.

v10kingsnake

Reaction score
Current Rides
A LOT
I am looking to find a pair of smoked tails for my new 392 Rubicon unlimited. It currently has the factory LED equip tails and all options I see for the aftermarket tails seem to mention that their units will not work with factory LED units without modifications but they fail to mention what modification is needed. I also have the BSW system on these but most replacements seems to mention accommodating that by simply swapping over some parts from the old lamp to the new ones which is easy. However, without knowing what modifications are needed to make the lights work I am reluctant to order them. Alternatively, if anyone is aware of a set that IS made for replacing a set of factory LED ones and are simply PLUG AND PLAY, I would appreciate someone showing me a set that does work without mods.

392 has the LED package.
If you’re running a Tazer you need to toggle LED off/on once and do a full restart via instructions once or twice to ensure you don’t have hyper flashing.
Correct on BSW.
You need to make sure you get ones that can house the side mirror blind spot sensors, and then move those sensors over when you do the swap. I did it all with no more than a screwdriver kit. I know there’s another thread somewhere here recently asking similar with more robust replies and recommendations.

@v10kingsnake - check out Oracle Flush-mounted Tail Lights. I installed them on my 392. It did involve moving the BSM module over, but that was simple to do. I, also, had to flash them with my Tazer (as @HEAT392 mentions). Work perfectly for me!

Curious why you had to flash them. The video on Oracles site doesnt mention that . Only mentioned if the jeep wasnt LED equip to use the included resistor. Nothing about scanning or flashing them . What were they doing that made you have to do that step?

Curious why you had to flash them. The video on Oracles site doesnt mention that . Only mentioned if the jeep wasnt LED equip to use the included resistor. Nothing about scanning or flashing them . What were they doing that made you have to do that step?
After I installed them, the turn signals on the dash would flash rapidly. The tail lights themselves would work fine. I flashed the tail lights with my Tazer and the problem went away. Oracle, also, sent me a couple of pigtails to correct the problem, but since it hasn't happened again, I have a couple of pigtails sitting on my garage workbench.

I have the Quake smoked LED tails on my 392. I did swap the BSM parts to the new lights. No programming required, plug and play. I also did the smoked chop kit for the fronts.

I just ordered the Oracle flush mount ones. I liked those best. If I get a warning or weird flashing I will buy the taser or jscan I guess.

It’s if you’re using the Tazer JL mini you need to toggle the LED setting off/on to refresh it.

when you have LED and you make a change the Jeep goes around and checks the voltage, even if its an LED just not OEM the voltage can be slightly different, if it senses its different then you get the rapid flashing turn signal and a message on the dash that says a bulb is out, but its not.

Tazer did not have an accomodation for this at first but now they do. American Adventure labs has fender lights that replace the OEM when you do the fender tear out. If you can see it, look at my Gladiator in my Avatar as it has the fenders tore out and AAL lights. AAL and apparently Oracle have an inline adapter that resolves the issue but AAL will not sell it to you unless you have their lights. SInce then TaZER made the accomodation.

If this all makes sense, grab the pigtails Rugby offered you above he says he has on his work bench as you might need it if you dont have a tazer.

I will say that I love the LED's but if you plan on making changes you would be better off with plane jane lights to start and then there would be no issue.

AAL can also answer your question, I talked to the owner there by chance and he said he and Joe from Zauto (tazer) were working on the fix as it does not happen immediately. Somewtimes after a change the disco lights dont come on after days or a week.

Back