Small Travel Trailers

Yes,
I have an off road camper I plan on towing pictured here behind my LJ.

FDF874F2-FAC1-4EE8-869C-D00F7D7CD8A1_1_105_c.jpeg

Yes, we are planning on towing the motorcycle trailer.. “they say” it’ll be fine.

Yes, we are planning on towing the motorcycle trailer.. “they say” it’ll be fine.
You will be fine unless the trailer with motorcycle exceeds 3500 lbs. I’m wondering if the tow package includes a circuit in the wiring harness to accommodate a trailer brake controller in the driver’s compartment area. 🤔

The 392 Jeep shouldn't have a problem pulling a trailer the size of the Classic 12. Question though, Is the 3300 pound weight loaded or unloaded? The weight of propane, water, groceries, cookware, bedding, etc., adds up a lot quicker than one might think. I would make sure that the trailer comes with brakes and that the Jeep is equiped to operate them. My LJ with the 4.0 can handle my off road camper trailer okay but it struggles on mountain passes and big hills. The top end, speed wise, is reduced (on flat ground) because of not being able to use the overdrive. Without the trailer brakes it would be very dangerous to operate on or off road behind my current Jeep or any Jeep for that matter. My Trailer weighs 890 pounds before adding the 200+ pound tent, 25lbs of propane, 20 gallons of water, two 5 gal fuel cans, Refridgerator/containers full of food along with about three to four hundred pounds of camping/adventure gear and clothing. I need to weigh it when I have it loaded sometime but I'm guessing it is probably something more than 2000 pounds.

You will be fine unless the trailer with motorcycle exceeds 3500 lbs. I’m wondering if the tow package includes a circuit in the wiring harness to accommodate a trailer brake controller in the driver’s compartment area. 🤔
Yes, we were wondering the same thing. Our son just bought a trailer and there is an APP on his phone he uses for braking. We need to talk to him about that and see how that works?

I wouldn't depend on a phone app to help with stopping a trailer I might be towing. Should there be a panic stop situation... How confident might you be in finding the phone and applying the "Brake APP" for the trailer in time/effectively while applying the Jeep brake pedal if at all? Should I be towing a trailer the last thing I'm looking for is a cell phone to apply trailer brakes. Trailer brakes should be appropriately controlled by the towing vehicle's foot applied brake pedal through a trailer brake controlling device. Geez... who comes up with "I have a cell phone application to stop a trailer" I'm towing?

Might the same app cause a nearby trailer to apply its brakes?

Be safe please.

Last edited:
If it is like my 19 rubicon (ordered with tow package), It will have a connector under the drivers side dash for the trailer brake and charge circuit. You can get a mating connector from the trailer brake vendors and make a short adapter harness to plug into the jeep and trailer brake controller.

If it is like my 19 rubicon (ordered with tow package), It will have a connector under the drivers side dash for the trailer brake and charge circuit. You can get a mating connector from the trailer brake vendors and make a short adapter harness to plug into the jeep and trailer brake controller.
Thank you Beckbuilt! Good to learn that that there should also be a charging circuit available as well, my trailer needs that to charge its battery. I have experienced very good service and performance with several Prodigy Brake controllers in various vehicles over the years and will most likely go with another one of their products.

Thank you Beckbuilt! Good to learn that that there should also be a charging circuit available as well, my trailer needs that to charge its battery. I have experienced very good service and performance with several Prodigy Brake controllers in various vehicles over the years and will most likely go with another one of their products.
Check out the Red-Arc controllers. They have a wired remote allowing the base to be mounted out of view. They’re great for vehicles with limited dash space.

Check out the Red-Arc controllers. They have a wired remote allowing the base to be mounted out of view. They’re great for vehicles with limited dash space.
Thanks Again! I'll check out the Red-Arc line.

I'm considering this one. Very light, but also compact. Not a lot of space for gear and such. The price goes up quickly with options. I have not made my mind up on which trailer, but I know I want to get one in the next year or so. https://www.tentrax.com/ascend

Our son bought a little toy hauler but there is a fold out bed on the side and cabinets for storage in the front. They can take their bikes inside the camper, a small heater or AC so room for gear, a bed and lightweight.

I pulled the trigger on a RedArc Tow Pro Elite along with a Tekonsha Custom Wiring Adapt Trailer Brake Controllers-jeep and a Redarc Wiring Adapter For Tekonsha Brake Controller Harness all from E-Trailers.com.

Anyone plan on towing a small travel trailer?
One of the reasons I wanted the 392 was to make towing easier. I had towed with my 2019 JL 6 cylinder a little and it did better than I expected in some situations but I always wondered how the 6 cyl would do on a long trip towing a trailer. That is considering my previous Jeep struggled to go over 70 mph. (on 37's and lifted).

So when I had to haul this very heavy log over an hour way yesterday I was curious how the 392 would handle it.

In short, I'm not even sure the 392 knew the trailer and 3500lb log was back there. (surely it wasn't over 3500lbs as that is the towing limit :) )

It literally pulled it without issue. I had to ease off the accelerator
IMG_9035.JPG
IMG_9034.JPG
IMG_9040.JPG
several times as I got up over 70mph and was barely working the 392.

After pulling the heavy log and trailer to the sawmill, I had recorded an impressive 14.9 MPG. I don't even get that driving around town. (my foot is heavy and the motor sounds cool)

So pulling a travel trailer is going to be no big deal whatsoever. This log was a beast. White oak, right at 16 feet long along with a 'crotch' piece.

After taking the log off, I'm not kidding, I could barely tell I was towing a trailer.

One of the reasons I wanted the 392 was to make towing easier. I had towed with my 2019 JL 6 cylinder a little and it did better than I expected in some situations but I always wondered how the 6 cyl would do on a long trip towing a trailer. That is considering my previous Jeep struggled to go over 70 mph. (on 37's and lifted).

So when I had to haul this very heavy log over an hour way yesterday I was curious how the 392 would handle it.

In short, I'm not even sure the 392 knew the trailer and 3500lb log was back there. (surely it wasn't over 3500lbs as that is the towing limit :) )

It literally pulled it without issue. I had to ease off the acceleratorView attachment 427View attachment 428View attachment 429 several times as I got up over 70mph and was barely working the 392.

After pulling the heavy log and trailer to the sawmill, I had recorded an impressive 14.9 MPG. I don't even get that driving around town. (my foot is heavy and the motor sounds cool)

So pulling a travel trailer is going to be no big deal whatsoever. This log was a beast. White oak, right at 16 feet long along with a 'crotch' piece.

After taking the log off, I'm not kidding, I could barely tell I was towing a trailer.
FABULOUS… we’ll be towing a trailer … great to know. TY (jeep looks A MAZING)… cannot wait. - mines on the train…. 🎉🎉🎉

OH, what cha doing w/ that IMPRESSIVE Log??

I was wondering how the 392 would do paired with one of the Black Series Trailers such as the classic 12. It's right at 3300 pounds. - https://www.blackseriescamper.com/travel-trailers/classic12.html

View attachment 70
This trailer would be an amazing comfortable off grid experience. Very fancy.

I have to think the log I towed was heavier than 3300lbs. Pulling it was literally no bid deal as I said. I do think if you were towing at the limit (or maybe just a little over the limit) braking is the primary issue. I really had to be aware of staying 'ahead' of the traffic in front of me. I put a lot of extra space between me and the car ahead. The braking power was just not there.
So towing, not a problem.....braking needs to be addressed with heavier loads.

FABULOUS… we’ll be towing a trailer … great to know. TY (jeep looks A MAZING)… cannot wait. - mines on the train…. 🎉🎉🎉

OH, what cha doing w/ that IMPRESSIVE Log??
Congrats on your 392 almost arriving.

It will be flat sawn to make some arts and crafts furniture projects. I sawed another log last year and it is now ready to make some things. They take about a year to dry out after sawing.

Back