slight squeak/squeal

ZABUKOVIC RV

Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 JLU RUBICON, 2021 JLU Rubicon 392
Besides me only having mine for less than a week and already going through a windshield (THANKS COLORADO CDOT) I notice while at idle I hear a squeal (SOUNDING LIKE A BELT) As hard as it is not to hit the gas, I have tried hard to break it in the proper way and almost have 1000 miles on her already going over Independence Pass and have fluctuated speeds without hot rodding. Cant hear it while driving due to the exhaust. But while sitting at idle it's obvious. Going to take it in next week. To see what the dealer says. Only other issue is my driver front fender was not installed proper either. Looking down on the fender I see that 2 white fender tabs are bent and not going into there appropriate holes one the body.

Otherwise,.............LOVE THIS JEEP! Just got rid of my 2020 Diesel JL which I loved also. But the 392 is worth the extra IMO.

Mine has the 30 second start up noise but it goes away after it gets warm. I will keep an ear out for this noise though most of the time I am rocking tunes so loud it makes the rear view mirror dance. But I'll be better and listen more. Just crossed the Rubicon 600 mile mark tonight.

Mine has the 30 second start up noise but it goes away after it gets warm. I will keep an ear out for this noise though most of the time I am rocking tunes so loud it makes the rear view mirror dance. But I'll be better and listen more. Just crossed the Rubicon 600 mile mark tonight.
I got the same noise I made a service appointment for next week any idea of what it is?

Besides me only having mine for less than a week and already going through a windshield (THANKS COLORADO CDOT) I notice while at idle I hear a squeal (SOUNDING LIKE A BELT) As hard as it is not to hit the gas, I have tried hard to break it in the proper way and almost have 1000 miles on her already going over Independence Pass and have fluctuated speeds without hot rodding. Cant hear it while driving due to the exhaust. But while sitting at idle it's obvious. Going to take it in next week. To see what the dealer says. Only other issue is my driver front fender was not installed proper either. Looking down on the fender I see that 2 white fender tabs are bent and not going into there appropriate holes one the body.

Otherwise,.............LOVE THIS JEEP! Just got rid of my 2020 Diesel JL which I loved also. But the 392 is worth the extra IMO.
Yep I get the same 30-second famous "Hemi tick" at start-up and then it's gone. Any longer than that and I'd take it to the dealer. Sucks about your window but I'd rather be in CO any day! I was there this summer in a rental Jeep and it's amazing.

I'm also getting it. Drives me crazy. It squeaks like a bed spring for about 30s to a minute, then fades away over the next 2-3 minutes. My dealer replaced the serpentine belt - but no change. It almost sounds like a pully/bearing that has a squeak until it gets hot.

I'm also getting it. Drives me crazy. It squeaks like a bed spring for about 30s to a minute, then fades away over the next 2-3 minutes. My dealer replaced the serpentine belt - but no change. It almost sounds like a pully/bearing that has a squeak until it gets hot.
This is common on the hemi engines. I think that it is the exhaust pipes squeaking until they heat up and when they heat up they get tighter and the squeaking goes away. The exhaust pipes are hooked to the body as well as to the engine and the engine moves on its motor mounts. The squeaking changes if you put it in drive or reverse. I haven’t heard any other explanations for the squeaking that make good sense

Still just conjecture though

I have the same issue with mine and it has 2k mi on it. I had a similar problem with my Raptor and here was the choices, 1, it could be the wast gate linkage rattling and go away after 15 to 20 seconds
2, It could be the cam phaser issue that they were prone to, which if that was the issue you were looking at either a complete tear down or engine replacement because of the metal that was going through the entire engine.
I was lucky enough to have just the waste gate linkage issue.
One way several owners were able to determine if it was the Cam Phasers was to hold down the gas pedal and crank it for 10-15 seconds to build up oil pressure, it will not start if you had the pedal to the floor and I just tried it with my Jeep and it will crank without starting but when you do start it the squeal is still there. Apparently it is an issue with a lot of 392 owners no matter what the motor is in.BUT the Jeep 392 has a different accessory mounting bracket on the front of the motor to put the alternator up top
I have to bring it in for some little things and I will have them look at it. If I`m told it`s a Jeep thing like the wandering and dead spot with the steering was with my 3.6 Rubicon

Has anyone replaced the cats to see if that resolved?

Bump. How many people are experiencing this?
I just got mine and have about 500 miles on it and mine does this at start up too. After about 30 seconds it goes away. Sounds like the belt but I’m not sure.

dealer has looked at it 3 times. Replaced the belt, then a pulley, no luck. I

Common noise. Mine has always done it. Exhaust pipes squeak until they get hot. Expansion tightens everything up. This is the only explanation I've heard that makes sense. Goes away as soon as exhaust pipes warm up. Sure does sound like a bearing or belt sometimes, but it's not. After 30 sec to 1 minute, squeak is gone and engine sounds wonderful. I've just chalked it up to another personality quirk of the beast, like the exhaust pops on decel in offroad + and the weird 4 cyl sounds.

I’m just curious, after 1 minute or so, do you hear any other noise/sound other than the performance exhaust sound when the engine is on load? Mine always have a hissing type sound until it shifts. A good example is when the jeep is coasting in 4 cylinder mode, if I press the throttle pedal it has the hissing sound until the other 4 cylinders fire up. It drives me nuts as I don’t believe this is a normal noise.

Going out of 4 cyl mine just makes a quick weird noise as it switches to 8. Only a 1/4 sec or so. Almost sounds like a shift but no rpm change. Barely can feel it but sound is noticeable and I suspect normal.

Mine is pretty loud when performance exhaust is on, but that is not my problem, still that hissing/squeak sound makes me crazy.

Not sure why more people aren't upset about this. Mine is loud and lasts for a few minutes.

Odd how even fully warmed up. If I turn the jeep off for 15 min that's enough time for the squeak to come back albeit it goes away much faster.

I have a theory it has to do with the manifold gasket. I’m tempted to install a new one and see if that changes things at all.

I have a theory it has to do with the manifold gasket. I’m tempted to install a new one and see if that changes things at all.

I wonder if something just isn't torqued correctly. Manifold bolts, maybe header to down pipe bolts....who knows.

Back