Sky Touch or Dual Top

leakgator

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 Earl 392XR, 2013 F150
Hey 392 team.
I recently ordered the 392 with the Sky Touch.
I’ve still got a 2012 JKU, so I’m excited for the newer feel.
I searched for this topic and I’m sure a quick google would open up loads of stuff and I’ve looked at those threads. I just wanted to ask the 392 family their thoughts on which you chose and why?
Parts of me wants the open air freedom of being able to remove the top completely and parts of me wants the sky touch convenience.
I appreciate any thoughts.
Looking forward to my 392!

As with everything, there are pros and cons to consider with each choice. And we all differ in what we are willing to sacrifice for certain conveniences.

I chose the freedom panel hard top.

Sky One Touch Pros - open air experience at the touch of a button.

Cons - price, more noise on hwy trips, top can't be completely removed, more electronics to worry about, rear side windows are easily removed and may be easier to get stolen, reliability and longevity are to be determined, and rear window can't be easily removed.

Hard Top Con - relatively difficult removal

Pros - opposite of sky one touch's cons.

If you think you'll actually want to switch tops regularly and have the help or equipment etc., then some people here prefer the "real" Jeep experience of hard/soft tops (per my experience with the comments). Personally, I have two 8-year old girls and I live in TN where it rains or pours with a moments notice so I LOVE the Sky One. Yeh I might not look as "cool" to a Jeep lifetime owner who goes offroad a few times a month but I don't really care. I love the open roof and I can close it in 30-seconds when needed. If I was a hardcore off roader I may have a totally different opinion.....I definitely get it! So short answer is what do you plan to do with your $80K Jeep?

Got 2 jeeps... I have a soft top jl.... great top for a 2 door. Previously I had a jlu hard top.....pain removing and storing the panels and having to plan for weather.... My 2nd current jeep is the 392 w sky touch.... best top ever. No parts to store. No planning around weather. Never have to leave my jeep "topless" and return to a rained upon, or sunglass missing jeep. With the skytouch open i feel free and with the back panels removed OMG its the best!

It also depends on the region. I'm in SoCal with very little yearly rain. If I was in a rainy/snowy region, I can see how I could have added more pros for the Skytouch.

I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler but had 2 issues. I didn’t want to deal with storing a hard top or getting stuck in the rain with no top. The Sky One touch solves that issue. The other was wanting a V8. 392 solves that issue.

Wow, thanks for all the great responses.
I live in north Georgia, so I know all about those pop up downpours.
I love the idea of the sky touch, but worried about not being able to fully remove the top. To be honest though, I don’t remove it a ton on my JK.
I had a friend say they knew someone with the sky and it leaked bad. They could be the exception.
it it pretty quiet?

First mod? not sure, I’d like to leave the stock radio, and I love car audio, but man I need to grow up, I’ve got a crap ton of money in my current one. I wish it had native wireless CarPlay. I have a kenwood DNR1007xr (10.1” screen) and it’s great. Honestly if it had wireless CarPlay and uconnect 5, I’d leave it alone. But how does it sound??

I went with the dual top setup. I do not use the 392 as a daily driver, so I run it with no top for the summer. Was coming out of a 2017 JKU so was really looking forward to the JL soft top (NO ZIPPERS)! I love the no top driving but realize it's not for everyone. To each his/her own. The hoist a cart is a must for hard tops though.

I have had soft tops, hard tops and my 392 now has the Sky One touch. I live in Florida, It gets hot and it can rain a lot different time of the year. I find my self using the Sky one touch a lot more than I thought I would. Mostly mornings and evenings right now. Run the A/C in the middle of the day.

It is just very convenient so you use it more. 98 percent of the time I open and close it going down the road. starts raining I slow to 59 mph and close it. Don't really get better than that. I think it is pretty quiet, the little bit of wind noise at 80 does not bother me at all.

I was unsure when I ordered it and was on the fence like you but I'm now convinced I made the right decision for me and I would buy it again.

Hey 392 team.
I recently ordered the 392 with the Sky Touch.
I’ve still got a 2012 JKU, so I’m excited for the newer feel.
I searched for this topic and I’m sure a quick google would open up loads of stuff and I’ve looked at those threads. I just wanted to ask the 392 family their thoughts on which you chose and why?
Parts of me wants the open air freedom of being able to remove the top completely and parts of me wants the sky touch convenience.
I appreciate any thoughts.
Looking forward to my 392!
I chose the dual tops because in Minnesota we get lots of frozen rain, thaw and refreeze, and of course snow. I felt that scraping a snowbrush on the soft portion of the one touch might not be good for it after an extended amount of time.
It(the one touch) is way cooler, if your climate allows it.

I was absolutely on the fence about this, to the point I came to the conclusion it didn't matter which option it had since I missed the boat for ordering the 392 and had to find one available. I live in South Central TX, great weather overall (in my opinion) and I commute in a work vehicle as a daily driver. The 392 is a fun weekend vehicle for that will live in the garage. I have a 81 CJ8 that basically stays naked year round, unless we take the 392 on an extended road trip I see the same for it. I love the convenience of the Sky Touch, but it bothered me ever so slightly to not be able to go full naked. Long story short I was more picky about the color and figured I'd be happy with whichever top. Good luck!

I ordered the Sky Touch on my 2018 JL Rubicon and love it. I like it so much I ordered it on my 2021 392 that is built but is in limbo waiting for "inspection."

I ordered the Sky Touch on my 2018 JL Rubicon and love it. I like it so much I ordered it on my 2021 392 that is built but is in limbo waiting for "inspection."
Got my 392 a few weeks back and opted for the Sky one touch top based on researching prior to ordering in March. I’ve owned many Jeep’s over the years and was tired of taking hard tops off which really limited me going topless for years. I can say the sky touch is the best option for me and I’m certainly glad I ordered it. I tend to open top up in am and evenings now where before I wouldn’t have that option with previous hard tops. Whichever way you go, I’m sure you’ll be happy.

Another Florida 392 with the skytouch. Love it and had on my previous 2019 as well. I had a hardtop with removable panels on a previous JK and took the top off once. I use the skytouch all the time. Very convenient. I installed the hothead skyliner and the added insulation is great.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. So is the hothead liner for the sky touch worth it? I have the hotheads in my jk and it’s great. Does it hurt or hinder the operation of the sky touch? Thanks again!

Hothead was super easy to install and does not hinder the operation at all. Road noise seems improved and maybe a bit cooler In this heat but hard to tell.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Had a hardtop on my 2012 JK. I removed the top one summer, and between storing it and putting it back on, I never did it again.

I chose the Sky Touch on my 392. Like others have said here, while it may not offer quite the experience of a fully removable top, in my view, it gets like 90% of the way there and I was sold on the convenience alone. I'll add the hothead liner to make it look a little nicer and cut some of the noise. I can't recall reading any reports of the Sky Touch top leaking but did find a number of people saying how surprised they were at just how water/windproof it was.

The 392 will be my daily (whatever that means in this work-from-home world) for at least a little while and, if I get to the point that it becomes an open-air toy, I'll take the Sky Touch off once and for all, remove the doors and be happy.

I ordered mine with the Sky Touch and don't regret it one second. My 2016 JKU had a hardtop, which I hoisted in my garage and put a soft top on in the summer. Love the open air at the push of a button and glass is easy to remove on sides. No leaks. No hassles of soft top. It was worth it for sure!

I ordered mine with the Sky Touch and don't regret it one second. My 2016 JKU had a hardtop, which I hoisted in my garage and put a soft top on in the summer. Love the open air at the push of a button and glass is easy to remove on sides. No leaks. No hassles of soft top. It was worth it for sure!
Thanks for all the great replies. Sounds like the general consensus is the sky touch is great. I appreciate all of you and your advice.

Back