🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/466CPuu 🎁

Service 4wd

Earl 392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Earl 2023 Jlu 392
Just did an easy run half way through a 3 hour run ,service 4wd light comes on. Get home turn into driveway rear end is binding up. Our streets were just resurfaced and the rear tires twisted up the road surface rear differential is warm to the touch but not overly hot . Just turned 9000 miles. Seems like rear end not t case issue. It’s Friday 3 day weekend nothing is going to happen till next week.

That sucks!

That sucks!
That sucks!
Just went back out to garage fired up the Jeep no service 4wd light on ,so backed out in to the street no binding smooth as ever put the rear lockers on turned them off.. funny story when we got home had an email from Jeep saying make an appointment for tpms low pressure but nothing about service 4wd . They picked up my aired down tires at 17 lbs. so obviously Jeep remotely fixed service 4wd issue 🤪

Just did an easy run half way through a 3 hour run ,service 4wd light comes on. Get home turn into driveway rear end is binding up. Our streets were just resurfaced and the rear tires twisted up the road surface rear differential is warm to the touch but not overly hot . Just turned 9000 miles. Seems like rear end not t case issue. It’s Friday 3 day weekend nothing is going to happen till next week.
I've had the Service 4WD a couple of times. Everything binds up and then after it sets overnight it is fine the next day. I've also had the clutches get hot and the front wheels quit pulling. I have added the FAD motor to the front axle so that when it binds up I can Disengage the FAD with a toggle switch and force 2WD with the Tazer. I also have an Atlas transfer case on order as I have had it with the full time transfer case and the problems associated with it.

I wonder if there’s any stored codes. I know you said the rear locked up but it sounds a lot like a transfer case issue

I wonder if there’s any stored codes. I know you said the rear locked up but it sounds a lot like a transfer case issue
I tried to call Jeep it just went to VM thanks guys well it’s Friday .. I don’t really see how the t case could bind up the rear end. When I pulled in I felt it and I even backed up just to make sure and yep it was binding up. I didn’t want to wait until morning I wanted to test it out while still hot bizarre. Someone on this site might be able to chime in on codes staying in the Jeep system..

We shall see

I've had the Service 4WD a couple of times. Everything binds up and then after it sets overnight it is fine the next day. I've also had the clutches get hot and the front wheels quit pulling. I have added the FAD motor to the front axle so that when it binds up I can Disengage the FAD with a toggle switch and force 2WD with the Tazer. I also have an Atlas transfer case on order as I have had it with the full time transfer case and the problems associated with it.
What gear ratio in the Atlas did you order ?
Thanks I don’t like things that fix themselves. The steering is another issue

I ordered the 3:8 ratio on the Atlas. I also mounted an electric fan in front of the PS Pump. Haven't had the PS Hot light since I installed the fan. It's hooked to one of my AUX switches and only run it when in 4 Low.
I just don’t like when you need to turn the steering wheel for a better line in the rocks and I just will not turn. What fan are you using?I know that the fan won’t cure the hard steering problem just the heat issue thanks

I just don’t like when you need to turn the steering wheel for a better line in the rocks and I just will not turn. What fan are you using?I know that the fan won’t cure the hard steering problem just the heat issue thanks
I run this fan mounted to my frame just in front of the pump. You have to reverse the power and ground wire to make it a pusher fan. Works well, I’m on my 3rd power steering pump so I knew I had to do something. I have the Apex kit with cooler running my pump at 1800 psi.

Attachments

• IMG_9567.png
    IMG_9567.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 21
I run this fan mounted to my frame just in front of the pump. You have to reverse the power and ground wire to make it a pusher fan. Works well, I’m on my 3rd power steering pump so I knew I had to do something. I have the Apex kit with cooler running my pump at 1800 psi.
Thank-you

Earl, that sucks! Kinda sounds like your rear locker was stuck on. Was it only when you were turning? I hope you get it figured out quickly👍

For the Apex, I have 2 friends that run the Apex kit, on their 3.6’s, and they like them. I don’t think they had any of the overheating issues that have plagued the 392… but they definitely struggled to steer their jeeps, off-road, when they engaged their front lockers. I run PSC and can highly recommend it.

🍻

Earl, that sucks! Kinda sounds like your rear locker was stuck on. Was it only when you were turning? I hope you get it figured out quickly👍

For the Apex, I have 2 friends that run the Apex kit, on their 3.6’s, and they like them. I don’t think they had any of the overheating issues that have plagued the 392… but they definitely struggled to steer their jeeps, off-road, when they engaged their front lockers. I run PSC and can highly recommend it.

🍻
Are you running the PSC mechanical or electric pump?

I was bad stuck turned fully left in the rocks yesterday. I was diff'd out in front and about to fall of a ledge in the back. I was finally able to rock backwards and frontwards enough times to get the wheels turned and stack a couple of rocks to get out.

The day before, I was also stuck to the left but I had enough room to back out and get the locker off.

It seems like it's always stuck to the left.

I was bad stuck turned fully left in the rocks yesterday. I was diff'd out in front and about to fall of a ledge in the back. I was finally able to rock backwards and frontwards enough times to get the wheels turned and stack a couple of rocks to get out.

The day before, I was also stuck to the left but I had enough room to back out and get the locker off.

It seems like it's always stuck to the left.
Not a great feature should have been addressed years ago..where is the R&D?

Not a great feature should have been addressed years ago..where is the R&D?
IMHO, they should have upgraded the steering with the added weight of the 392 motor. My old 2019 JLUR could turn all day with my front lockers engaged, on 37’s, @ 10psi.

The same setup, on the 392, wouldn’t budge if I had my front lockers engaged. Fortunately, we all have some great aftermarket choices. I’m now on 40’s & 1-tons and I can’t say enough good things about the PSC. Even @ 5 psi, with lockers, I can easily turn without any problem +++ PSC’s big kit👍

IMHO, they should have upgraded the steering with the added weight of the 392 motor. My old 2019 JLUR could turn all day with my front lockers engaged, on 37’s, @ 10psi.

The same setup, on the 392, wouldn’t budge if I had my front lockers engaged. Fortunately, we all have some great aftermarket choices. I’m now on 40’s & 1-tons and I can’t say enough good things about the PSC. Even @ 5 psi, with lockers, I can easily turn without any problem +++ PSC’s big kit👍
Nice I agree they didn’t do us any favors that’s for sure

🍻
No indication that locker was on no lights nothing on off road pages.but yea that is what it felt like. Called a buddy he said this has happened to him about 12 or more times not even using 4wd just backing out of a parking spot he pulls back in shuts off the Jeep re starts it the service 4 wheel drive light goes out and everything is working properly very strange

Back