School Me On Rock Sliders (aka: rocker guards) Steps

CJMore

Reaction score
New to the JL platform, but not Jeeps, my last was a built CJ crawler on tons w/302.
Before I can go bigger the kids 7/10 + wife have to be able to get in...
Requirements:
Live in Colorado and wheel it all.
I'm tall and normally step in IE don't use as a step but family will, so I don't want something that sticks out TOO far/wide.
These will be used as sliders so they need to be stout.
I'd prefer to install myself - any specialty tools req'd

Research I think narrowed down to these (3)
GenRight Guards
LOD Sig Sliders
RSE Retracts
Did I miss one I should be looking at?

I don't wanna go the rookie route, Smittybilt, to something trail worthy, are any of the above not stout?

Leaning towards RSE for looks, but do they function and can they take real abuse? Have we figured out how to drop them for the car wash? What happens with the door are off?

School me and with real world experience please before a waste $2k+.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Wow, those GenRights are expensive! I have ACE sliders on my 2013 JKUR and will probably do the same on my 392. They've held up really well but require removing the body bolts for mounting.

Slightly different than the LOD model listed above, but I’ve been pleased with the LOD destroyers.

They are heavy, but very stout. Function well as a step and slider and also protect the paint from flying debris. Fairly straightforward install with a couple of tubs and/or floor jacks.

IMG_7849.jpeg

Like Marksman, have LoD Destroyers. Love them for all the reasons he stated.

I had to ask the forum members here for insight into install. I was worthless & weak on this install but all ended well and no regrets.

Had retractable steps on a Longhorn Ram 1500 a couple of years back. No issues and a real "cool factor". Didn't go that route on my Rubicon as I was a bit edgy thinking of sliding and a retractable mechanism. I believe others here have had good success with them so I might just be a bed wetting hysteric on this one. Let's see how others weigh in regarding current experience if you like them.

+1 for LOD Destroyers. I have them and love them. As already stated install is a bit of bitch, but worth it.

+1 for LOD Destroyers. I have them and love them. As already stated install is a bit of bitch, but worth it.
One other benefit that they offer that some others do not (and is often not considered or noticed until after the installation) is that they also hide the pinch seam very well.
IMG_8004.jpeg

Wow, those GenRights are expensive! I have ACE sliders on my 2013 JKUR and will probably do the same on my 392. They've held up really well but require removing the body bolts for mounting.

I second ace as being a great option.

Im a big fan of LOD, run their signature which is the beefier of their options (not an opinion, per LOD). I suspect the destroyer performs awesome as a slider (many accounts) and better as a step.

Im a big fan of LOD, run their signature which is the beefier of their options (not an opinion, per LOD). I suspect the destroyer performs awesome as a slider (many accounts) and better as a step.
Thanks Bocephus for chiming in on the signature as that is my preference w/ LOD.
A couple three questions.
Is there enough space to "act" like a step?
Is that outside rail slick?
Did you get textured or bare?

The signature is my preference w/ LOD.
A couple three questions.
Is there enough space to "act" like a step?
Is that outside rail slick?
Did you get textured or bare?
Absolutely enough to act like a step, I use it constantly. It’s just an inch or so below the door sill, if that matters, but it’s certainly enough depth for a step. That outside rail (ie edge) is smooth, but the step surface itself is perforated with maybe half inch circles. Super grippy enough, even muddy shoes or in rain. Fwiw, my short (but athletic lol) wifey and kids don’t have problem with it. I ordered mine powder coated. I haven’t bashed it on rocks, but powder coat is holding up great. Had these on last jeep too. I’m a huge fan.

69852217850__A5942438-276F-4A4D-B6C7-E223FD2C3AA0.jpeg

Unsolicited but Fwiw, I dislike the RSE. Awesome concept but too many accounts of finicky sensor/ electronics. But maybe they’ve got the kinks worked out at this point. The RSE gen3s have been out for a while now, and they are certainly popular.

LOD Destroyers (Part LOD-JRS1814-2). Tough to install without a second person helping, but possible.

Bonus: Provides 99% protection for hinges, doors and fender flares from rocks flung by front tires.

1684847852700.png

Rusty’s and Rock Hard Patriot angled up sliders are made for real wheeling, and stick out just enough to help stepping in. They both have better than average ground clearance, which I like.

I looked hard at the LOD Destroyers and think they are also a solid product. In the end, I went with Metal Cloak's Overland Rocker and Flip Step kit. You can use just the base rocker (similar to the stock Rubicon sliders) and you also have the ability to flip the step up/down depending upon whether you need a step or more clearance.

If you go down to the "tech" section, you'll see the three positions (no step), lowered step and full clearance step. I included a pic so you can see how far the optional step extends from the Jeep.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_6566.JPG
    IMG_6566.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 44
I did tons of research on the rocksliders/steps last year and ended up with the beefy ShrockWorks version, frame mount. Sadly they went out of business back in Jan: https://www.jeep392.com/threads/shrockworks-closed-permanently.2192/#post-34328

I had posted more pics on the JL forum: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...xperience-of-shrockworks-rock-sliders.101725/

Each slider is a single piece, DOM tubing and perfect welding with semi-gloss powder coating to my liking. They weight over 100lbs and the cost is less than 1K including the shipping. The best part if they don't put any Logo on their products, which gives the OEM look I love.

I've seen the Rage 4th rocksliders being mentioned on some Youtube videos, and you can get a closer look here: https://www.rage4th.com/pro76-bumper-video
But I don't know more info on their product, except the guy at WFO Concepts have used on a few builds. The Rage 4th owner Jason also has a 392.

I like the Rusty's too, they look great. I didn't go with theirs because they are not true frame mount.

There are pros and cons to most sliders. I went with the Rusty's because I like the "semi" frame mount design. They don't mount to the frame rail itself, but to mount to the frame mounted body mound. I have the metalcloak under armor and didn't want to have a frame mounted slider that caused me to drop the under armor lower in order to get the frame mount slider installed. I didn't want to have a gap between the under armor and the frame rails. If I wasn't running under armor, I would've gone with a true frame mounted slider.

I came within an inch of ordering the rock hard patriot sliders as they mount in three separate locations. The pinch, seam, the body mount, and to the body itself.

I have no hits to the sliders yet, so can't tell you how they really perform, but they help getting in the jeep as it's a little bit taller with the metalcloak 3 1/2 inch lift and 37 inch Nitto tires.

I went with the LOD Rockslider Lite with Skid Plates and it’s been great as a step for my wife and young kids. I haven’t tested it against rocks, but have done enough research to hear with the skid plates, it’s a stellar option with a little savings in weight. Installation was fine by myself with just a jack stand on the other end to help level it out while tightening bolts. Overall, pleased with the product.

I went with the RSE and the additional slider skid plates. I've installed 3 sets of these and the install was not to bad. Hardest part is loosening the body bolts. As far as washing them you just flip the off and on switch and when they drop turn the power off and they will stay down which allows to to wash and lube them. I've drug mine over several rocks and never had a problem. I just touch up the scratch marks with a can of black spray paint.

Attachments

• IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 42
Rock Hard 4x4 - Slider Steps are stout.

Can get upward angle or flat. I bought the flat ones.

IMG_8349_resized.jpg
IMG_8346_resized.jpg

Back