2023 Rubicon 392 XR Earl
Bone Stock the day I brought her home:

2023 392 XR in Earl
IMG_0540.jpeg

My Plans:
  1. Grab Handles
  2. Fire Extinguisher
  3. Winch
  4. Name Decal: I have already ordered it and am waiting to receive it. It will go on the rear fender because I like the Rubicon decal. The name decal is in the same color and style as the Rubicon decal.
  5. Winch Guard: I haven't decided on the brand / style yet.
  6. Lights: Still deciding on this, but leaning to the following:
    1. A Pillar: KC Hilites Flex ERA 4
    2. Winch Guard: KC Hilites Flex ERA 4
  7. On-Board Air: I haven't decided yet on which direction. Trying to decide between
    1. Power Tank - I used to run this and loved it, but it's harder and harder to find places to refill, and it's a constant hassle to deal with that. But I love the functionality and looks of the system.
    2. ARB Dual Air Compressor with M.O.R.E. Mount
    3. Portable Arb dual air compressor
  8. Communications (for now I'm going to use hand-helds, but eventually will go with these):
    1. Midland MXT575
    2. Yaesu FTM-300DR 2m/70cm
  9. Bestop Trektop Ultra
  10. Wheels: Actual beadlock rings on my factory XR wheels
I'll decide by the time all of this is installed whether I'll go with larger tires and/or a lift. I'm pretty incredibly happy with the stance now. I will most likely go 37s and a lift, but I'm in no hurry to do that.

Last edited:
Warn Zeon 10-S Winch / Warn Winch Plate / Factor 55 Flat Link Install

We picked a ridiculously cold day to do this, and my 18-year-old son refused to put jeans and a long sleeve shirt on. It was about 25 degrees with the high wind outside when we did this. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the Jeep all the way in the garage and still have room to comfortably work on the front end because of my workbench (which you can't see in this image). In the end, we got her done! I will probably change the fairlead at some point in the future. I'm not crazy about the looks of this one, but it gets the job done for now.

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

Last edited:
Fire Extinguisher Install

Bad Ass Moto Fire Extinguisher Mount installed. My kids got me this fire extinguisher mount and fire extinguisher for Christmas. We installed it. Super quick and really solid mount. It doesn't move at all, nor does it make any noise on the road. I will say it's going to be slower to release than I'd like, but it's better than nothing.

IMG_0576.jpeg

Grab Handles

I got these super cheap grab handles from Amazon. They work, but I'm not a fan, and I will replace them eventually. For now, they help people get into the Jeep, which is what I needed. I can't honestly say I'd recommend them to anyone. Link to the grab handles.

IMG_0575.jpeg

Looking good! I also took delivery of a 2023 XR recently! Curious how the winch install went on the factory bumper? Follow any guides you could share?

Thanks!

Looking good! I also took delivery of a 2023 XR recently! Curious how the winch install went on the factory bumper? Follow any guides you could share?

Thanks!
The winch install is pretty easy. I used the Warn winch plate, so I can't speak for any others.

Here is what I can provide in the form of advice:
  1. Have someone to help. It's not hard, but it definitely will be much easier with a helper.
  2. Make sure you remove the fog light wiring clips from the harness before re-attaching the steel bumper. I didn't do this, and I realized as I was trying to tighten everything up that I was either going to crush or cut those wires, so I had to remove the bumper, detach the clips, and then reinstall it.
  3. If you have a winch with synthetic cable and an abrasion sleeve, don't forget to install it before installing the rope onto the winch.
  4. If you have a warn zeon winch with synthetic cable, it's a bear to get that rope onto the drum. I used soapy water in a spray bottle, which made it much easier, but it was still the hardest part of the installation by a lot.
  5. If you're using a Warn winch plate, it comes with these giant zip ties to hold the plate in place so that you can line up the bolts for the bumper while supporting the weight of the winch. Don't cut the zip ties until you are 100% certain you're not going to take the bumper back off (see #2 above :) ).
  6. To tighten the 4 inside-the-frame bumper retention bolts, you're going to need a combination of extensions and universal joints for your sockets, but you absolutely must tighten those completely regardless of how difficult they are to reach.
That's the best advice I can give. Overall, I'd rate it 2 out of 5 wrenches in install difficulty.

The winch install is pretty easy. I used the Warn winch plate, so I can't speak for any others.

Here is what I can provide in the form of advice:
  1. Have someone to help. It's not hard, but it definitely will be much easier with a helper.
  2. Make sure you remove the fog light wiring clips from the harness before re-attaching the steel bumper. I didn't do this, and I realized as I was trying to tighten everything up that I was either going to crush or cut those wires, so I had to remove the bumper, detach the clips, and then reinstall it.
  3. If you have a winch with synthetic cable and an abrasion sleeve, don't forget to install it before installing the rope onto the winch.
  4. If you have a warn zeon winch with synthetic cable, it's a bear to get that rope onto the drum. I used soapy water in a spray bottle, which made it much easier, but it was still the hardest part of the installation by a lot.
  5. If you're using a Warn winch plate, it comes with these giant zip ties to hold the plate in place so that you can line up the bolts for the bumper while supporting the weight of the winch. Don't cut the zip ties until you are 100% certain you're not going to take the bumper back off (see #2 above :) ).
  6. To tighten the 4 inside-the-frame bumper retention bolts, you're going to need a combination of extensions and universal joints for your sockets, but you absolutely must tighten those completely regardless of how difficult they are to reach.
That's the best advice I can give. Overall, I'd rate it 2 out of 5 wrenches in install difficulty.
Can I ask what winch you installed? I wanted to go with warn Zeon 10 s warn told me it would hit grill or bumper.
jeep dealership suggested I try bulldog plate part number 20353 6 mm thick.. thanks

Warn Zeon 10-S Winch / Warn Winch Plate / Factor 55 Flat Link Install

We picked a ridiculously cold day to do this, and my 18-year-old son refused to put jeans and a long sleeve shirt on. It was about 25 degrees with the high wind outside when we did this. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the Jeep all the way in the garage and still have room to comfortably work on the front end because of my workbench (which you can't see in this image). In the end, we got her done! I will probably change the fairlead at some point in the future. I'm not crazy about the looks of this one, but it gets the job done for now.

View attachment 17403

View attachment 17404
Any clearance issues ? Bumper or grill ?

Any clearance issues ? Bumper or grill ?
Nope, it fits perfectly. It sits with plenty of clearance all the way around. I am in my truck at the office today or I'd go down and snap some pictures, but I'll try and remember to do that tonight when I get home.

Can I ask what winch you installed? I wanted to go with warn Zeon 10 s warn told me it would hit grill or bumper.
jeep dealership suggested I try bulldog plate part number 20353 6 mm thick.. thanks
I have a Warn Zeon 10-s and the Warn winch plate. It fit perfectly, and touches nothing.

I have a Warn Zeon 10-s and the Warn winch plate. It fit perfectly, and touches nothing.
Nope, it fits perfectly. It sits with plenty of clearance all the way around. I am in my truck at the office today or I'd go down and snap some pictures, but I'll try and remember to do that tonight when I get home.
Here are a couple of images of the winch installed showing clearance between the body and the bumper.
1DE89730-18F6-4BE3-BDB2-0BD422B6B9EC_1_105_c.jpeg
065695E5-3A51-4A6D-944C-2F8B22018CAA_1_105_c.jpeg
29106E12-23E6-4F11-8BB1-D7A6DD0FDF54_1_105_c.jpeg

Back