Replacing stock 392 battery

Well... add mine to the list.

I hopped in to put it into the shop this morning and got the AUX switches message.

I threw it on the charger and it charged for 3 or 4 hours... nearly done now, but the charger reports 69aH of charge delivered... to what... a 80aH battery? That was pretty dead, considering I just drove it the day before.

I'd like to do an antigravity... but it gets just cold enough here to maybe an issue a few times a year, and we spend some time in Montana and Wyoming where, well they know what cold is.

It looks like I can pick up an Odyssey or an Optima 94r locally today. I've ran both with decent luck, but on paper the Optima looks to have an edge, 880cca versus 850 (but it is 6 pounds heavier).
View attachment 36371
Yours is a 23 ? And battery is bad already.

Yours is a 23 ? And battery is bad already.
Yes, a 23 20a edition. I took delivery June 1st last year... pushing 25k miles since.

It did start, so it's not DEAD, dead. but I've been fighting my wireless CarPlay unit for a couple of week now, and I suspect it was getting low voltage on startup, causing it to lose it's mind. Today's Aux switch message confirms my suspicions.

Yes, a 23 20a edition. I took delivery June 1st last year... pushing 25k miles since.

It did start, so it's not DEAD, dead. but I've been fighting my wireless CarPlay unit for a couple of week now, and I suspect it was getting low voltage on startup, causing it to lose it's mind. Today's Aux switch message confirms my suspicions.
Well that’s a bummer Jeep should replace it under warranty

Well that’s a bummer Jeep should replace it under warranty
Yeah, I thought about it, but I don't want another junk battery, nor do I want to play the stupid games with the dealer getting it replaced....
You know, the old "we didn't find anything wrong with it, it tested fine". And there is no way in hell they are keeping it for a few days.

I'll eat the cost of a battery just to keep them from touching it.

I was getting the aux switch error quite a bit. I suspected my battery, but the dealership said it checked out. I got a yellow top anyway, but the warning message still occurred. I subsequently began to have a rough idle -- diving 1-200 RPM at red lights. I took it back to the dealership and they diagnosed it. At the positive terminal of the battery is a T-shaped copper bus bar. The post closest to the firewall on that bus bar is a press-fit threaded post (I forgot what is connected to this). This post on my bus bar was loose and spinning in the bar. There was evidence of arcing and also heat damage to the red rubber boot.

I have a 2021 with 24k miles on it. This all started maybe 5000 miles ago.

The dealership wanted an arm and a leg to fix this because I had a winch and an SPOD attached to other posts; they said it would not pass a warranty claim. I took it home, drilled out the post and reattached the cables securely.

There are no more AUX warnings and the idle is solid now. I'm quite happy about the outcome because I was hearing horror stories about what a rough idle foretold on the 6.4.

So, check the connections at the battery for play. It could be a factor for you.

Yeah, I thought about it, but I don't want another junk battery, nor do I want to play the stupid games with the dealer getting it replaced....
You know, the old "we didn't find anything wrong with it, it tested fine". And there is no way in hell they are keeping it for a few days.

Can’t argue with that 👍

So what battery did you choose? If you don’t Mind sharing

Picked up an Optima last night at a nearby Autozone. Got it dropped in this morning. It was pretty straightforward, but pretty challenging to get the old one out and the new one in. It might have been easier to unclip the hood lift struts and fold the hood all the way back to the windshield.

I even got the little battery blanket back in place without too much fuss.

IMG_3886.jpg
IMG_3887.jpg
IMG_3888.jpg
IMG_3890.jpg

Just wondering if you regularly use a battery tender?

Just wondering if you regularly use a battery tender?
I do not, but I drove it 25k miles in a year, so it sees use nearly every day and does not sit for long.

Picked up an Optima last night at a nearby Autozone. Got it dropped in this morning. It was pretty straightforward, but pretty challenging to get the old one out and the new one in. It might have been easier to unclip the hood lift struts and fold the hood all the way back to the windshield.

I even got the little battery blanket back in place without too much fuss.

View attachment 36419View attachment 36420View attachment 36421View attachment 36422
Yellow Top FTW !

Back