Regear

Laserflorida

Reaction score
Current Rides
Anyone regeared yet? Have 37’s on mine and would like to regear but local experienced shop was unsure of parts needed. Had 4.56 on my previous JL and thinking of 4.88’s on 392

They claim with the engine no need to regear, but I had an 03 wrangler I regeared to 4.56 with 33s on it and could go up to a 35 maybe a 37 inch tire with a 4.56...idk I definitely want to regear at some point as they most likely went with smaller gears for speed and on road performance

They claim with the engine no need to regear, but I had an 03 wrangler I regeared to 4.56 with 33s on it and could go up to a 35 maybe a 37 inch tire with a 4.56...idk I definitely want to regear at some point as they most likely went with smaller gears for speed and on road performance
Been driving with the 37’s for a few weeks and just on initial impressions I would be happier with a regear. I regeared my 6 cylinder 2015 JK (35’s) and 6 cylinder 2019 JL (37’s and 4.56) (both auto) and was happier after regearing. Just waiting on the upgrade shop (Brandons auto and truck in Pompano, Florida - they merged with Florida Fortec) They did a fantastic job on the 392 wheels, tires, bumpers, winch etc

Been driving with the 37’s for a few weeks and just on initial impressions I would be happier with a regear. I regeared my 6 cylinder 2015 JK (35’s) and 6 cylinder 2019 JL (37’s and 4.56) (both auto) and was happier after regearing. Just waiting on the upgrade shop (Brandons auto and truck in Pompano, Florida - they merged with Florida Fortec) They did a fantastic job on the 392 wheels, tires, bumpers, winch etc
Yeah I think I wanna do a metal cloak 3.5 inch lift kit, 37" tires, and 4.88 regear at some point then!

My $0.02 ... personally, I’m leery of regearing too low in this thing without going to a Dana 60 or even 70. The amount of torque generated off idle is huge. Multiple that out thru 1st gear low, even with the 2.72 t-case and 3.73s and you’ve got serious axle breaking potential if you’re wheeling it, particularly in high traction situations where tires may get bound up.

I probably will regear with 37s, but with so much torque, I’m contemplating no more than 4.10s since I have no plans for a 60/70, though I do plan on RCVs.

looking forward to seeing the direction people go, though -

My $0.02 ... personally, I’m leery of regearing too low in this thing without going to a Dana 60 or even 70. The amount of torque generated off idle is huge. Multiple that out thru 1st gear low, even with the 2.72 t-case and 3.73s and you’ve got serious axle breaking potential if you’re wheeling it, particularly in high traction situations where tires may get bound up.

I probably will regear with 37s, but with so much torque, I’m contemplating no more than 4.10s since I have no plans for a 60/70, though I do plan on RCVs.

Yeah, sometimes people forget (or don't realize) that lowering the gearing within the same axle housing comes at the cost of ring and pinion strength.

I agree 4.10s would be the next logical move probably around 37" tires or bigger, since it is currently at 3.73s! Thanks for sharing!

I regeared to Spicer 4:56 a few weeks ago. I put 37x13.5x20NittoMT the day I bought it so I haven’t really known what it’s like to drive it stock. I ordered these before the Recon was even announced. Over 500 miles the gas mileage is about the same. It never down shifts to 7th out of 8th for overpasses and head winds like it did before. Definitely feels quicker especially in the midrange gears. I’ve done several Brake Tourque Launches before the regear and one today after the regear…..I chirped those big ass 37s today, that never happened before the regear. I feel the my Jeep universe is right now. I used the Tazer to recal, speedO is dead on at all speeds.

Update
regeared to 4.56 and have about 3,500 miles on the regear. Much better with the 37’s then before regear. Its faster and super responsive.

I’ll offer some unsolicited advice due to my past experiences with 3.5”-4.5” lifted CJ’s, JK’s and recently two 392 JL’s…
I’ve owned an assortment of engine choices in my Jeeps from 6 cylinders, 5.7’s, 350’s, 6.4’s etc.
I’ve mentioned before in several of my posts here @ JEEP392 of what I use my Jeep for.
To be specific… I DO NOT do “mud”, unless it absolutely cannot be avoided.
As mentioned before, I am extremely OCD and I’ve been known to spend HOURS/DAYS up underneath my jeep with LITERALLY a toothbrush and water hose, just cleaning the mud and gunk from the underside of the suspension, the cracks and crevices from around shocks, springs, and everywhere else I could find the nasty shit before it sets up like concrete and erodes the seals overtime and causes huge headaches and costly repairs and replacement parts etc.
I prefer and enjoy rocky terrain and high altitude shale mountain roads in Colorado and Montana.
I won’t hesitate to cross deep creeks or the occasional river to get to where I wish to be and more importantly… where people aren’t.
“Gearing” is very important… but one NEEDS to be honest about his/her particular use for their vehicle of choice.
This information below is a guide for those thinking of running larger tire sizes.
The following information comes from other Jeep drivers including myself AND years of experience taking my Jeeps off road in all kinds of situations etc.

For what it’s worth…
3.73 - Stock tires
4.10 - 35” tires
4.56 - 37” tires… This choice is for those who spend most of their time driving @ 60-80 mph on highway, back roads and typical daily driving. (4.56 gears with my set up is my personal favorite.)
My 392 NEVER has to hunt for the right gear on or off road.
4.88 - 37’s with the majority of your driving in stop/go traffic and MORE than the occasional off road adventure.
5.13 - for 40’s
5.38 - for 42’s
Remember… the best advice I can give is, BE HONEST with your decision to re-gear and WHAT exactly you will be doing in your Jeep.
BIGGER… BETTER… and MORE… is cool as hell sometimes, but ISN’T ALWAYS BETTER!!!
Just my $.02

Your point is exactly what I’ve been saying off this forum. The whole reason mopar went 3.73 gears instead of the standard rubicon 4.10 is so the axles don’t implode under the torque generated by the 6.4, same with the diesel. I won’t regear until I upgrade axle assemblies.

Last edited:
Remember that 8th gear is a .67 overdrive, the 392 has 2 overdrive gears. If you calculate it out 5:38 and 40" will be a couple of hundred rpm over stock at 65 and will compensate for the extra weight of the tires. For the best of both worlds you should stay close to the stock ratio of tire size and gearing. That being said going to 37" and 40" tires with low gearing and stock axles is a recipe for pending disaster. I have Dana 60/80 HD Elite axles due in February with Nitto 40" Trail Grapplers, trying to have it all, the axles have much larger brakes and should hold up to rock crawling and a heavy foot on the skinny pedal on the street plus retain stock gas mileage. haha!

Last edited:
The Recon version has 4.56 gears and 35" tires... did they change anything else (axles, etc) or just the gears??

I regeared to Spicer 4:56 a few weeks ago. I put 37x13.5x20NittoMT the day I bought it so I haven’t really known what it’s like to drive it stock. I ordered these before the Recon was even announced. Over 500 miles the gas mileage is about the same. It never down shifts to 7th out of 8th for overpasses and head winds like it did before. Definitely feels quicker especially in the midrange gears. I’ve done several Brake Tourque Launches before the regear and one today after the regear…..I chirped those big ass 37s today, that never happened before the regear. I feel the my Jeep universe is right now. I used the Tazer to recal, speedO is dead on at all speeds.
Do you happen to have the part number(s) you used for the re-gear??

Do you happen to have the part number(s) you used for the re-gear??
They are the Dana44 advantek by Spicer:
4:56 Rear-10067141
4:56 Front-10050939
Please verify before you order. You would also need the install kits

I’m having 4.88’s put on this week. Should be fun.

Anyone want to share an approximate cost (parts & labor) to change gears??

Back