Protect Catalytic Converter From Theft?

hazards280

Reaction score
Current Rides
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Hello all! I am looking for any recommendations to protect the exposed cats in the 392 from theft. I frequently take my Jeep to remote trail heads to ride my dirt bike, and it's a prime target for theft. I see RockHard4x4 has a full body skid plate that covers them, but I'm wondering if there are other options available that don't add the weight of a full skid.

While insurance is there for cases like this, I'd rather avoid the headache and proactively put protection in place.

Hello all! I am looking for any recommendations to protect the exposed cats in the 392 from theft. I frequently take my Jeep to remote trail heads to ride my dirt bike, and it's a prime target for theft. I see RockHard4x4 has a full body skid plate that covers them, but I'm wondering if there are other options available that don't add the weight of a full skid.

While insurance is there for cases like this, I'd rather avoid the headache and proactively put protection in place.

I can’t even find a reliable answer to where the cats are. You seen a diagram? I just picked mine up last week and haven’t crawled underneath. Seeing some mixed answers on this interweb.

Have you had catalytic converters stolen before?

Go the deterrent route and use a metal etching tool to engrave “Stolen From [your VIN]” onto your cats.

Last edited:
I can’t even find a reliable answer to where the cats are. You seen a diagram? I just picked mine up last week and haven’t crawled underneath. Seeing some mixed answers on this interweb.
I ended up purchasing an aluminum skid plate for M.O.R.E. I called and asked if the skid covered the cats and the employee said they are well covered and would protect against theft. The price point was in line with what I was looking to spend, and the aluminum construction will hold up the the elements here in the mid-west. I'll update once it arrives and provide some feedback on the power coating quality and installation process.

Have you had catalytic converters stolen before?
I have not, I just want to avoid the problem from occurring. I'm sure nothing would ever happen since most Wranglers do not have easily accessible catalytic converters, and thieves would likely avoid them. I just have very little trust in people and some protection will bring peace of mind.

Back