Problems with the 392 Rubicon

byhumba

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Inherently, most new editions have more problems than the following editions. I understand the 392 Rubicon is not considered completely new as the JL body style has been around since 2018, the engine since 2011, and the transmission since 2014 (at least the generation in the 392). However, the 392 Rubicon is a new trim/configuration and many modifications had to be done to fit all components well.

This thread is to help each other out and hopefully minimize serious issues.

So far, from reading other threads/forums:

The fuses not seated well in some 392s have caused some electrical problems.

Wires too close to heat sources have also caused electrical problems.

As the title says, what problems have we encountered?

Inherently, most new editions have more problems than the following editions. I understand the 392 Rubicon is not considered completely new as the JL body style has been around since 2018, the engine since 2011, and the transmission since 2014 (at least the generation in the 392). However, the 392 Rubicon is a new trim/configuration and many modifications had to be done to fit all components well.

This thread is to help each other out and hopefully minimize serious issues.

So far, from reading other threads/forums:

The fuses not seated well in some 392s have caused some electrical problems.

Wires too close to heat sources have also caused electrical problems.

As the title says, what problems have we encountered?
I think most auto enthusiasts understand at the onset of a new version, there will certainly be some issues. I only hope they will be minor. Electrical can be a big issue, especially if it resonates from a heat source. I would like to think that Jeep did their homework. We will see; fingers crossed.

I think most auto enthusiasts understand at the onset of a new version, there will certainly be some issues. I only hope they will be minor. Electrical can be a big issue, especially if it resonates from a heat source. I would like to think that Jeep did their homework. We will see; fingers crossed.
Agree. Electrical issues can turn into a big problem and I also hope most problems we find are minor. I understand cutting costs to increase revenue, what still bothers me immensely is that car manufacturers sometimes cut costs at the expense of safety.

Agree. Electrical issues can turn into a big problem and I also hope most problems we find are minor. I understand cutting costs to increase revenue, what still bothers me immensely is that car manufacturers sometimes cut costs at the expense of safety.
I will take an optimistic point of view. I purchased a new 2018 JL rubicon which was the first year of the Jl and have had no issues. It now has 25000 miles on it. I will be trading it in on the 392. The dealer wants it in the worst way, offering 40 thousand plus, not bad for a three year old model. I am so looking forward to the 392, cannot wait for its arrival.

I will take an optimistic point of view. I purchased a new 2018 JL rubicon which was the first year of the Jl and have had no issues. It now has 25000 miles on it. I will be trading it in on the 392. The dealer wants it in the worst way, offering 40 thousand plus, not bad for a three year old model. I am so looking forward to the 392, cannot wait for its arrival.
That makes me optimistic as well. Jeep has made great moves to make the brand what it is today. I'm sure they don't want to ruin that.

So...mine has a slight pull to the right. I’m a freak about that. Before I left the dealer I addressed it. They told me to go change rims and tires and then bring it back to them. It was perfectly aligned. They changed an electronic steering module which helped some but they knew I wouldn’t be happy about it so next week it will hang out at the dealership while they and the FCA engineers discuss and fix it hopefully. What pisses me off about it is that I had the QA sticker on my window with 40 miles on it. So the QA guy signed off on it with a noticeable pull? WTF? If it’s not fixed next week the dealership manager will elevate the problem to FCA.
I also keep loosing the back up camera lines so I’m having to reset every other day or so. And my CarPlay keeps dropping off and then coming back. I’m not sure if that’s a cable problem or a Jeep problem so I’m troubleshooting now.

So...mine has a slight pull to the right. I’m a freak about that. Before I left the dealer I addressed it. They told me to go change rims and tires and then bring it back to them. It was perfectly aligned. They changed an electronic steering module which helped some but they knew I wouldn’t be happy about it so next week it will hang out at the dealership while they and the FCA engineers discuss and fix it hopefully. What pisses me off about it is that I had the QA sticker on my window with 40 miles on it. So the QA guy signed off on it with a noticeable pull? WTF? If it’s not fixed next week the dealership manager will elevate the problem to FCA.
I also keep loosing the back up camera lines so I’m having to reset every other day or so. And my CarPlay keeps dropping off and then coming back. I’m not sure if that’s a cable problem or a Jeep problem so I’m troubleshooting now.
Ugh. Sounding like we may have to hunt for electric gremlins in some 392s.

all same issues on mine, but love it. will address at first oil change

Is anyone having problems with the backup "park assist sensors"? My passenger side rear is going off all the time. I have cleaned the sensor with no change. Seemed like it started having a problem when I installed 35" tires, so thinking somehow it is seeing the bigger tire, but the sensors in the rear bumper directly below the oversized spare are not going off and nether is the left side sensor. I'm thinking I have a sensor problem but thought I would ask if others have seen this problem.....

Sounds like it may be a tire pull if alignment is correct. I would rotate the tires and see if it changes the pulling.

> And my CarPlay keeps dropping off and then coming back.

I have this problem - have had my 392 for ~48 hours and CarPlay has disconnected 5 times. I've tried 2 different cables and 2 different USB ports. It might be a coincidence, but I noticed each time it happened I was in a very bad cell reception area and the music started cutting out shortly before the disconnect. For the life of me, I can't figure out why that would matter, but 5/5 so far...so just noting the pattern.

I wonder if it's the Uconnect that needs an update or the app on the phone? Seems like not everyone is having this problem leading me to believe it's a software issue.

Someone smarter than me posted a reply recently about losing the lines on back up cameras.
Hold tune and volume buttons the same time for about 20 secs. This will reset the camera but you'll lose it at some point in time.
Talked to my dealer today and we will get a recall letter this month and be able to have the dealer install new software.

Someone smarter than me posted a reply recently about losing the lines on back up cameras.
Hold tune and volume buttons the same time for about 20 secs. This will reset the camera but you'll lose it at some point in time.
Talked to my dealer today and we will get a recall letter this month and be able to have the dealer install new software.
I’ve been doing that everyday, it’s in the shop this week to address my issues. 1100 miles on it

Back