PPE Aluminum transmission pan

Bobo57

Reaction score
Current Rides
Demon, Boss 303
Hi all,
Anyone install an aluminum PPE transmission pan on their 392? Wondering how it went, easy/difficult/issues?
Thanks in advance,
B

Yes, I have it installed
IMG_3677.jpeg

Unless they have changed something, you must use the gasket that comes with their pan as the factory gasket won’t work. The shape of one of the corners is different on the OEM Jeep gasket that has the metal backing. It’s been a while since I did it so some of the details are fuzzy.

The worst part is the refill procedure on ZF transmissions. Ass end has to be jacked up and the fluid has to be at operating temp to ensure properly filled.
IMG_2616.png

For our Jeeps, you have to disconnect front driveshaft or use Tazer to force 2WD.

As another note, I have Rusty’s skid plates and there’s no interference.
Any reduction in trans temp? Does it hold another quart of fluid?

Holds two extra quarts. I tow a bit and the trans does run cooler. I also have a 180 t stat and fans set at 185 though.

Holds two extra quarts. I tow a bit and the trans does run cooler. I also have a 180 t stat and fans set at 185 though.
Run the bypass valve and I bet it runs even cooler

Yes, I have it installed
View attachment 36701
Unless they have changed something, you must use the gasket that comes with their pan as the factory gasket won’t work. The shape of one of the corners is different on the OEM Jeep gasket that has the metal backing. It’s been a while since I did it so some of the details are fuzzy.

The worst part is the refill procedure on ZF transmissions. Ass end has to be jacked up and the fluid has to be at operating temp to ensure properly filled.
View attachment 36704
For our Jeeps, you have to disconnect front driveshaft or use Tazer to force 2WD.
What part number pan are you using? I don't see one listed for the 392.

Yes, I have it installed
View attachment 36701

View attachment 36704
Thanks, that's interesting because PPE told me to use the Jeep gasket. I will have to revisit that with them.

Thanks, that's interesting because PPE told me to use the Jeep gasket. I will have to revisit that with them.
That’s incorrect based on my experience. You’ll find out pretty quick either way if you get one.

Edit: if they don’t include a gasket for some reason, can get one for a Charger/Challenger/Ram with an 8HP.

Last edited:
That’s incorrect based on my experience. You’ll find out pretty quick either way if you get one.

Edit: if they don’t include a gasket for some reason, can get one for a Charger/Challenger/Ram with an 8HP.
Thanks, that's exactly why I'm asking the question. Would hate to get this apart and learn on the fly.

Revmax bypass valve ordered. I check our Jeep 392s and its identical
Be careful with the removal of the factory one, you’ll need to reuse the O-rings or match them up and replace them.

Be careful with the removal of the factory one, you’ll need to reuse the O-rings or match them up and replace them.
And those O-rings are from?

Back