Power Steering HOT Warning?

On mine the only thing I’ve done is upgrade to the factory 35’s that are offered on the XR 392 because it wasn’t available when I ordered mine. I don’t think the power steering is getting hot, at least not in my case. It was throwing the error message on a cold start up lately and just recently every time I drove it along with the battery light and voltage spiking over 15. I just tightened the ground behind the rh headlight and it worked flawlessly today. The ground really wasn’t noticeably loose but I bet they must have poor contact from the factory due to paint maybe?
Poor grounding contact absolutely could have been part of the problem. I have not experienced any ground issues - but I know several that have...

but keep in mind that battery issues tend to manifest in the fall and it could be time for a new battery and/or a trickle charger :)

Jeep offers aev level 2 with 37's with no steering upgrades..why would that be if bigger tires would cause these issues

If they do, I would look at their markup. Maybe it’s worth it for the .2% that actually make it off road 😉.

Anyone that has built and taken their Jeep off-road knows that the aftermarket has way better options, performance, and price🤌

*** Edit*** AEV is not available on Jeeps Website/392 Build Options... but I know nothing about the AEV kit other than it is overpriced and would look great at the mall :)

Last edited:
If they do, I would look at their markup. Maybe it’s worth it for the .2% that actually make it off road 😉.

Anyone that has built and taken their Jeep off-road knows that the aftermarket has way better options, performance, and price🤌

*** Edit*** AEV is not available on Jeeps Website/392 Build Options... but I know nothing about the AEV kit other than it is overpriced and would look great at the mall :)
The jeep dealers offer aev level 2 as upgrade with jeep 392 order

Cool, but still doesn't change my statement and how many of those units do you think they are selling?

If its a Mall Crawler then outfit the whole jeep with AEV stuff most of their products never see dirt, I have personally never liked any of their overpriced, under performing products that look like they were designed for the street. That PSC steering kit is what I used on my last two builds and knew I was going to have too add it to my 392 but it was pretty far down on the list of upgrades. I am still running the stock 33's as I just picked the jeep up last weekend and was going to get wheels and 37's next as well as heavy duty Steering. PSC has two hydro assist kits as well as XD electric steering pump upgrades?

I never had an issue with my stock pump, 37's and beadlocks (heavy) until aired down to 10 psi and stuck in a rock garden with lots of back and forth lock to lock. Driving trails, full air on pavement, etc. zero issues. I think there is a lot to the 392 generating so much heat and in those sections you are not moving forward distance wise that heat builds and builds and soaks the pump. I think there is someone on here that has put a separate fan on the pump and cut the fender liner out and is having success. I also had the Apex kit installed and it made lock to lock on pavement a 1 finger operation...

I love the feel of the stock steering vs the PSC kit but the psc kit works in the above scenario but drives worse on the road. Everything is a tradeoff...

As I understand it, the power steering hot warning is for the power steering electrical motor itself being hot not from hot fluid. I think the Engine temperature could be cold and still possibly get the power steering hot warning if you turned your wheels back-and-forth quite a few times while not rolling with large diameter tires.

I am interested in the Apex PS pressure upgrade, but concerned by all the Hot warnings. I spoke to Apex today and they said that the electronic in/on the 392 and diesel models can get overheated due to increases engine bay temperatures. They felt the increased system pressure was a minor contributor, and the key issue was engine bay heat. They advised me to remove the inner fender on that side or cut it back to allow more flow around the electric pump. They also felt that a cooling fan on the electronics end of the pump would help. I may try this at some point, but I think with the wheeling I do, I am sure to see problems as the system is designed today.

I am interested in the Apex PS pressure upgrade, but concerned by all the Hot warnings. I spoke to Apex today and they said that the electronic in/on the 392 and diesel models can get overheated due to increases engine bay temperatures. They felt the increased system pressure was a minor contributor, and the key issue was engine bay heat. They advised me to remove the inner fender on that side or cut it back to allow more flow around the electric pump. They also felt that a cooling fan on the electronics end of the pump would help. I may try this at some point, but I think with the wheeling I do, I am sure to see problems as the system is designed today.
For what it’s worth…I had intermittent hot steering warning even when the Jeep was stock. When I put 37’s on it would happen a tad more often and usually when I was driving aggressively either in road or off (read: fast).

I put on the Apex kit with the cooler and I have not had it pop up again. The extra steering power and touch more firmness in the highway is nice too.

Here you go:
Post in thread 'Power Steering HOT Warning?'
https://www.jeep392.com/threads/power-steering-hot-warning.662/post-47727

That is the fan and a picture of it installed…

If you want to keep the stock feel, definitely go with the Apex kit and avoid the PSC. My wife really dislikes the PSC…great at slow speeds but wow at highway speeds don’t take your eyes off it for even a second squirrelly is a good description. At higher rpms I assume the pump is running full blast and makes the steering so sensitive…slow speeds / lower rpms and the steering feels OK.

I also thought about buying a second apex cooler and running them…I guess you would say in series or back to back to see if that helped even more. I think one would fit up in the behind the grill but have to make you own bracket.

I don’t do mud or water if I can avoid it so that should alleviate some of the fan issues…

Based on what I understand from the Apex engineer, a second cooler would not solve the problem. It is not an issue with the fluid being too hot. It is set the engine bay runs hot on the 392s and the pump putting out a little more pressure makes it run a little hotter, which causes the electronic circuit board to get hot and send out the warning. It totally makes sense that this could happen on a stock vehicle as well. I haven't seen it yet on mine, but I am guessing that I might, if I aired on my tires enough and have some tight spots to work the steering with while on the Rubicon. So far, I have experienced very difficult steering with it tires aired down, but I have not seen the warning light yet as I didn't force the situation too much.

Based on what I understand from the Apex engineer, a second cooler would not solve the problem. It is not an issue with the fluid being too hot. It is set the engine bay runs hot on the 392s and the pump putting out a little more pressure makes it run a little hotter, which causes the electronic circuit board to get hot and send out the warning. It totally makes sense that this could happen on a stock vehicle as well. I haven't seen it yet on mine, but I am guessing that I might, if I aired on my tires enough and have some tight spots to work the steering with while on the Rubicon. So far, I have experienced very difficult steering with it tires aired down, but I have not seen the warning light yet as I didn't force the situation too much.
Good information thank you. Seems like the additional fan might be the best alternative. Or liquid cooled circuit board…hmm could I convert a pc liquid cooled processor kit? ;)

Here you go:
Post in thread 'Power Steering HOT Warning?'
https://www.jeep392.com/threads/power-steering-hot-warning.662/post-47727

That is the fan and a picture of it installed…

If you want to keep the stock feel, definitely go with the Apex kit and avoid the PSC. My wife really dislikes the PSC…great at slow speeds but wow at highway speeds don’t take your eyes off it for even a second squirrelly is a good description. At higher rpms I assume the pump is running full blast and makes the steering so sensitive…slow speeds / lower rpms and the steering feels OK.

I also thought about buying a second apex cooler and running them…I guess you would say in series or back to back to see if that helped even more. I think one would fit up in the behind the grill but have to make you own bracket.

I don’t do mud or water if I can avoid it so that should alleviate some of the fan issues…
This is my post about the fan. Ever since I installed the fan I have never had the power steering hot light again. I only run the fan when aired down to about 10 psi. It's a pretty easy and cheap fix.

I have tried just about everything to keep my power steering pump from overheating. I'm on my 3rd power steering pump at 8,000 miles. I've cut the inner fender well out to provide more air. Installed the Apex power steering cooler and nothing seems to help. If you use your Tazer to run your radiator fan non stop if will certainly help. The loud noise of the radiator fan on high gets a little old after awhile. Last week I installed an electric fan directly in front of the power steering pump and it seems to have fixed the problem. I spent the week in Ouray, CO, aired down to 12 psi on 37x12.50 tires and never got the power steering hot light. I need to build a better bracket for the electric fan but I believe this is the fix for the power steering hot light.

SPAL 30103018 4'' 12 Volt Puller Low Profile Fan on Amazon for $53.95.

Did you wire this up to an auxiliary switch ?thanks

This is my post about the fan. Ever since I installed the fan I have never had the power steering hot light again. I only run the fan when aired down to about 10 psi. It's a pretty easy and cheap fix.
Thank you EBYCREEK! Apologies I did not give you credit, I just kept saying someone on here did this! Thanks for the part number and install pics. I really wish I would have tried this first!

I am also looking at the Apex as an option, on PSC site they have an upgraded pump (electric) like the factory but the pressure is 1800 which is pretty similar to the Apex right? Does anyone have any more information on this setup or used it?

Back