Performance exhaust button - No difference in sound on/off?

dog

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
'22 392 XR ordered Jan 21 2022 -------------- Picked up Aug 22 2022!
Hey all, let me preface this by saying I've had the thing for about 10 days and I have 2010 miles on it, solid mix of highway and around-town driving, both aggresive and super easy-going. I have also read the manual (and the 392-specific manual addendum pamphlet thingy) about 20 times to make sure I'm not crazy. No cluster lights or alerts either.

I can't for the life of me hear a single difference between the two modes when I press the performance exhaust button. I've let it idle for 5 minutes and tried the button, I've tried the button while driving very very easy on the throttle, I've tried the button when going slow, I've tried the button going highway speeds, I've tried the button with the top and doors on/off. I hear zero difference. After driving around for 20 minutes or so, I've gotten out while the thing is idling and gone behind it, and in a blind test of a buddy turning the button on and off, I cannot detect a tone change whatsoever.

Let me also add that I do a lot of sound-sensitive professional audio monitoring and if there was a tone change, a timbre change, a decibel change, or any sound characteristic change whatsoever, I sure as hell should be able to pick it out! The way people talk about the feature in casual posts, it sounds like something's not working properly on mine, since they report being able to hear an obvious enough, (if subtle), difference when the button is pressed.

I'm thinking that if it's stuck in either position, it's stuck open/loud/"on".

I have an appointment at the dealership next week for them to look at it, but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced an issue like this, or had been able to find threads where someone else experienced something similar. Also if someone's a wizard and has a fuse chart handy, if there's one of those I should check, or if I'm missing something absurdly obvious.

Thanks!

There should be a definite and almost immediate change. It is perceptible at any time in my Jeep. The only time I turn it to quiet is when ordering fast food in the drive through. It immediately idles quieter then when I turn the perf exhaust back on it rumbles again at idle.

If you are really getting on it, the quiet mode will go loud automatically for that pull only.

The start up growl is the same in both modes also but only for that initial start.

Do you think you are always quiet or loud? It should be easy to tell.

Hey all, let me preface this by saying I've had the thing for about 10 days and I have 2010 miles on it, solid mix of highway and around-town driving, both aggresive and super easy-going. I have also read the manual (and the 392-specific manual addendum pamphlet thingy) about 20 times to make sure I'm not crazy. No cluster lights or alerts either.

I can't for the life of me hear a single difference between the two modes when I press the performance exhaust button. I've let it idle for 5 minutes and tried the button, I've tried the button while driving very very easy on the throttle, I've tried the button when going slow, I've tried the button going highway speeds, I've tried the button with the top and doors on/off. I hear zero difference. After driving around for 20 minutes or so, I've gotten out while the thing is idling and gone behind it, and in a blind test of a buddy turning the button on and off, I cannot detect a tone change whatsoever.

Let me also add that I do a lot of sound-sensitive professional audio monitoring and if there was a tone change, a timbre change, a decibel change, or any sound characteristic change whatsoever, I sure as hell should be able to pick it out! The way people talk about the feature in casual posts, it sounds like something's not working properly on mine, since they report being able to hear an obvious enough, (if subtle), difference when the button is pressed.

I'm thinking that if it's stuck in either position, it's stuck open/loud/"on".

I have an appointment at the dealership next week for them to look at it, but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced an issue like this, or had been able to find threads where someone else experienced something similar. Also if someone's a wizard and has a fuse chart handy, if there's one of those I should check, or if I'm missing something absurdly obvious.

Thanks!
Save yourself a trip and find the fuse in the fuse box and plug it in. Yours is acting like it is not plugged in All the way.

Last edited:
The fuse you want to check/reseat is F62. As others have said, you’ll know when it’s working. 🤞

099B641B-9FF9-46E9-B94C-4DBB13D14895.jpeg

Your valve is definitely not working right, the change in sound is not subtle
What he said.

There is no way it is working if you can't hear a difference. I call it "sneak mode" because I normally run with the button on, but when I want to "sneak" home late at night... I hit the "sneak" button and it basically goes silent! There's a dramatic difference. Take it to Jeep.

The system is pretty simple, vacuum line behind intake manifold with check valve -> to vacuum canister below battery -> line from canister to solenoid on rear crossmember -> splits after solenoid and vacuum line to the diaphragms in exhaust.
I ripped everything out past the check valve when I put in the Magnaflow exhaust.

Make sure rubber lines are connected to the valves. They forgot to connect one valve in my Jeep in the factory hence the exhaust was in loud mode at all times. Chances are they've dropped a ball with yours as well :)

The fuse you want to check/reseat is F62. As others have said, you’ll know when it’s working. 🤞

View attachment 6771
Agree, while your in there, push them all in firmly. Night one when I picked her up that was the first thing I did. I swear half of them were not seated in properly. While I was waiting for her to be built I read a lot of forums where that was a huge issue with all Jeeps. I can’t believe they don’t have someone at the end of the assembly line making sure they are all seated properly. It can create so many weird electrical issues.

• Thanks to @scarab - I checked that both hoses were connected, so that's good.
  • Thanks to @Gnomad and @stumblinhorse - I also pulled, inspected, and reseated fuse 62 - it was in fact seated properly (almost to my disappointment, haha).
  • Thanks to @Dral97 - I read through those troubleshooting steps posted by Rich in that thread - and they seem like pretty good ones. Might need to get under it while it's running and see if I feel a vacuum change on those hoses when someone pushes the button. I'll be safe about this test. Guess if I don't feel vacuum change on the hoses it's probably a solenoid issue, since the hoses are definitely connected.

I did push in every fuse I could before I drove her off the lot, and there were a LOT of them. So I'm gonna take it for a quick drive and see if pulling/reseating that fuse did anything!

Back in a bit, will update soon, huge thanks to everyone for the replies!

• Thanks to @scarab - I checked that both hoses were connected, so that's good.
  • Thanks to @Gnomad and @stumblinhorse - I also pulled, inspected, and reseated fuse 62 - it was in fact seated properly (almost to my disappointment, haha).
  • Thanks to @Dral97 - I read through those troubleshooting steps posted by Rich in that thread - and they seem like pretty good ones. Might need to get under it while it's running and see if I feel a vacuum change on those hoses when someone pushes the button. I'll be safe about this test. Guess if I don't feel vacuum change on the hoses it's probably a solenoid issue, since the hoses are definitely connected.

I did push in every fuse I could before I drove her off the lot, and there were a LOT of them. So I'm gonna take it for a quick drive and see if pulling/reseating that fuse did anything!

Back in a bit, will update soon, huge thanks to everyone for the replies!
Dog... take it from the Panda... The Jeep is under warranty. Let the Dealer deal with it. And in case you think I'm saying that because I'm the kind of guy who can't work on my own vehicles, nope. Been there, done that (ASE Certified, yada yada yada)... I just know when it's time to let the warranty do it's job.

Dog... take it from the Panda... The Jeep is under warranty. Let the Dealer deal with it. And in case you think I'm saying that because I'm the kind of guy who can't work on my own vehicles, nope. Been there, done that (ASE Certified, yada yada yada)... I just know when it's time to let the warranty do it's job.

1000% with you on this one, and it's great advice. It was worthwhile for me to roll under it and check the vac lines, and it was worthwhile to seat a fuse, but I ain't trying to get too dirty with a brand new jeep. I'm not gonna go deeper than that. Glad I learned a thing or two about how it works though, since it's a new system for me.

As for an update after test driving - still zero tone change when pushing the button. Guessing it's probably the solenoid. My appointment is on the 9th so guess I'll just have to wake the neighbors between now and then, really looking forward to trying out the infamous sneak mode though! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks again for everyone's responses, I'll update once I have it looked at next week, so that future searchers can find some solid info.

Agree, while your in there, push them all in firmly. Night one when I picked her up that was the first thing I did. I swear half of them were not seated in properly. While I was waiting for her to be built I read a lot of forums where that was a huge issue with all Jeeps. I can’t believe they don’t have someone at the end of the assembly line making sure they are all seated properly. It can create so many weird electrical issues.
Was not just the Jeeps. A lot of the TRXs came off the line with unseated fuses. It was one of the main things for dealers to check on their PDIs.

Save yourself a trip and find the fuse in the fuse box and plug it in. Yours is acting like it is not plugged in All the way.
The salesman and I went through the entire fuse box and pushed in fuses the day of delivey. Three were loose enough to move. Check them all!!
SHOJEEP

3B09AE7E-0806-4D66-A136-C2C00B9D3653.jpeg

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Well that’s embarrassing. Guess I didn’t follow the lines far enough! Lesson learned.

At least they didn’t have to order a new solenoid or keep the Jeep more than a couple hours, I’ll chalk that up to a win!

View attachment 6908

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Well that’s embarrassing. Guess I didn’t follow the lines far enough! Lesson learned.

At least they didn’t have to order a new solenoid or keep the Jeep more than a couple hours, I’ll chalk that up to a win!
There you go, they forgot to connect the hose in the factory. The same thing as I had with mine, only on the other side lol :ROFLMAO:

Back