🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/466CPuu 🎁

Overheating Issue

phs3

Reaction score
Current Rides
2024 392, Anvil Gray
My 2024 392 with just over 5k miles on it overheated in midtown Manhattan and needed to be towed to a dealer a couple weeks back. Sadly, the three dealers I contacted in NYC at the time were unable to accommodate repairs (a Wednesday at noon) and said they would turn it away unless I had bought it there. This is a separate issue but well worth mentioning!

It was put on a flatbed and towed to where I purchased it in Upstate NY to the tune of $880.00. It had thrown a code that said there was a fault with the fan 1 control circuit (P0480). This code had come on before at least twice and cleared without returning. Now the Jeep is running hotter than normal. I was informed by the dealer that they could not replicate the issue and I needed to get home so did.

A couple days later the temps are still running high. The dealer said that 220 is not a good temperature for that motor but 205 is not bad. I took it to a Jeep dealer near home, this time, and they are still trying to figure it out after almost a week. They cannot replicate it and temps outside are a bit cooler than they were, I live in the mountains in Vermont.

Every time I get in, I go to the off road pages and accessory gauges before I start it and some of the temp pics are attached, then once running it goes back down to around 225. The instrument cluster is also red then clears after the vehicle is started.

Any thoughts welcome!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Wow
Reactions: SKT
Sounds like maybe a simple failed sensor to me...

In my observation, the coolant temp is roughly 18-25 degree lower than the oil temp. I’ve had coolant temp at 220 ish many times in daily driving, all normal to me.

I’m quoting someone’s reply from the JL forum there are two coolant temp sensors, not sure if it applies to the 392: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...or-and-thermostat-located.95468/#post-1979783

Also check and monitor the coolant level or any cracks in the coolant reservoir.

Last edited:
Update.....
Finally got it back from the Dealer after 9 days. As they did not see the fan code, the first dealer did, they did not do any work. They drove it to try and get it to overheat but could not. The coolant when hot is up around 225 but when cruising is at 215 +/-. Will have to wait until it overheats again to get anything fixed / repaired under warranty.

Fingers crossed!!

Thanks, EBYCREEK!! This is very helpful and along the lines with what one Service Manager told me!

My 2024 392 with just over 5k miles on it overheated in midtown Manhattan and needed to be towed to a dealer a couple weeks back. Sadly, the three dealers I contacted in NYC at the time were unable to accommodate repairs (a Wednesday at noon) and said they would turn it away unless I had bought it there. This is a separate issue but well worth mentioning!

It was put on a flatbed and towed to where I purchased it in Upstate NY to the tune of $880.00. It had thrown a code that said there was a fault with the fan 1 control circuit (P0480). This code had come on before at least twice and cleared without returning. Now the Jeep is running hotter than normal. I was informed by the dealer that they could not replicate the issue and I needed to get home so did.

A couple days later the temps are still running high. The dealer said that 220 is not a good temperature for that motor but 205 is not bad. I took it to a Jeep dealer near home, this time, and they are still trying to figure it out after almost a week. They cannot replicate it and temps outside are a bit cooler than they were, I live in the mountains in Vermont.

Every time I get in, I go to the off road pages and accessory gauges before I start it and some of the temp pics are attached, then once running it goes back down to around 225. The instrument cluster is also red then clears after the vehicle is started.

Any thoughts welcome!!!
I was getting similar high temperature warnings on my 23 hydro blue. I took it to the dealer and they found a small hole on the side of the coolant reservoir. They replaced the coolant reservoir and I haven’t had any more issues. It was covered under warranty.

I was getting similar high temperature warnings on my 23 hydro blue. I took it to the dealer and they found a small hole on the side of the coolant reservoir. They replaced the coolant reservoir and I haven’t had any more issues. It was covered under warranty.
I had the exact same thing with mine. It finally overheated and I took it to my dealer. They said there was a recall for the coolant reservoir. They replaced it and haven't had any problems since. I live in LA so it gets hot.
I will say that the engine runs hotter if I'm on a hill in traffic (it's an LA thing) as opposed to just regular traffic. Not sure what that's about.

Found this on the internet.
I have adjusted my Fan to come on much quicker at lower temps. While it's loud, the fact is I prefer it quicks in quicker but this is because we have such hot temps in Dubai. I am also running independent oil cooling fans which keep oil engine temps down. Keep in mind I have two massive radiators as I am also running the Magnuson super charger

I had the exact same thing with mine. It finally overheated and I took it to my dealer. They said there was a recall for the coolant reservoir. They replaced it and haven't had any problems since. I live in LA so it gets hot.
I will say that the engine runs hotter if I'm on a hill in traffic (it's an LA thing) as opposed to just regular traffic. Not sure what that's about.
interesting

Interesting. I haven't seen any recall notice in the mail? Can't log into that stupid Mopar (My Vehicle) dashboard to check anything.
That dam thing hasn't worked in weeks!
Yeah my coolant stays around 205/206 and will stay there 'IF' I am moving. As long as I'm getting a little air.
Oil temp will go up idling or moving slow, 226 Fahrenheit, I have seen 230, and it doesn't make me feel to comfortable. I will turn the AC on just to get the fan to start up.
I'd like to figure out a way to turn that fan on manually.

Side note, I have a six blade fan upgrade on the Jeep TJ. It was listed as mopar 'Max-cool' . It has worked great for years. It was $35 at the parts counter in 2004. I took that goofy five blade fan off and sold it in the yard sale for a buck to someone that made
'yard -art' . 😎

Things are way more complicated today.

I guess my question to Dubai_Bulldog392, what did you have to do to get the fan to come on at a lower temp? Just when you get a chance,

Interesting. I haven't seen any recall notice in the mail? Can't log into that stupid Mopar (My Vehicle) dashboard to check anything.
That dam thing hasn't worked in weeks!
Yeah my coolant stays around 205/206 and will stay there 'IF' I am moving. As long as I'm getting a little air.
Oil temp will go up idling or moving slow, 226 Fahrenheit, I have seen 230, and it doesn't make me feel to comfortable. I will turn the AC on just to get the fan to start up.
I'd like to figure out a way to turn that fan on manually.

Side note, I have a six blade fan upgrade on the Jeep TJ. It was listed as mopar 'Max-cool' . It has worked great for years. It was $35 at the parts counter in 2004. I took that goofy five blade fan off and sold it in the yard sale for a buck to someone that made
'yard -art' . 😎

Things are way more complicated today.

I guess my question to Dubai_Bulldog392, what did you have to do to get the fan to come on at a lower temp? Just when you get a chance,
I had my tuner adjust the setting in the PCM so it kicks on earlier — simple setting and any tuner can go into the system to adjust the temp settings in which it comes on.. this made a notable improvement.. again, I have additional cooling systems thanks to Magnusson super charger, however this small change from factory settings helps control the temps when ramping.. now i also installed two fans just for the oil with its own small radiators cooling the oil and larger reservoir.. allows more oil to cool. Hope this helps

Back