Ok to Idle the 392?

Prior to retirement, when I wasn't on a fixed income, I had a couple of bikes and a fun car. During Northeast winters I kept them hooked up to C-Tek charger/conditioners. Had an extension wire the company provided that hooked up to the battery terminals and allowed a quick disconnect...no need to mess with the alligator clamps for a weekend only vehicle.

They worked flawlessly and condition the battery by varying the charge. In 15 years, using 4 of them, never "boiled" a battery or had any issues. Great on bikes with sensitive electronics too.

They are a bit more expensive than the average trickle charger but for a ride you care about they have solid electionics and fail safe features...I considered them an investment. A number of high end European exotics come with them mounted onboard (they are waterproof).

There are a number of varieties so if you are doing different sized batteries you might want one that adjusts (for marine, car/truck, ATV, motorcycle, etc).

Battery chargers 🤬
I have three two bank Noco chargers running right now, one on my 2020 F350 and one on my 2005 GMC 3500 that have been parked for close to five months but spend the winter outside. The third is on my 2013 John Deere 624k with a 24 volt system, the loader sits out in the cold and needs to be ready for any emergency. My winter truck is a 2008 Nissan Titan that gets plugged in every night from the first night below freezing to the last night below freezing mostly because it carries a 100 gallon diesel fuel tank and the transfer pump takes a huge toll on my battery and if it sits for a day below -0 it’s dead.
This was the first winter with the 392 and after only three weeks of being parked in cold weather it was flat dead and non responsive to my booster pack. It took boosting the Jeep with my F350 and piggybacking a second battery just to get it in my garage. I warmed the battery overnight before recharging it the following day. It sat in the garage (heated) untouched for 5 weeks and was dead again. After recharging it again I disconnected the battery and it is still fully charged, tested twice since being disconnected.
I’m so over winter 🥶

Installed the new NOCO D2 battery tender today. For now, I just added a wide piece of peel n' stick velcro to back of D2 and stuck on top of factory battery cover/protector. No clearance issue with hood closed.
My Jeep arrived at dealership in Oct. 2023, I bought it in early Nov.
Lately have been driving it only once a week. After a drive today, I installed the D2...and to my surprise, according to LED light on D2, my battery was below 75%. Point being, for Jeeps only driven weekly, it makes since to add some type of a battery maintainer.

Installed the new NOCO D2 battery tender today. For now, I just added a wide piece of peel n' stick velcro to back of D2 and stuck on top of factory battery cover/protector. No clearance issue with hood closed.
Lately have been driving it only once a week. After a drive today, I installed the D2...and to my surprise, according to LED light on D2, my battery was below 75%. Point being, for Jeeps only driven weekly, it makes since to add some type of a battery maintainer.
The D2 is just a 2 amp charger right? How long did it take to get to fully charged? If your battery was really at 75% it would have taken several hours or even days to get that big battery to 100%

The D2 is just a 2 amp charger right? How long did it take to get to fully charged? If your battery was really at 75% it would have taken several hours or even days to get that big battery to 100%

It took around 24 hours for the LED indicator on the D2 to change from slowly blinking RED (less than 75%) to slowly blinking GREEN (over 75%), blinked GREEN for another 24 hours to get to solid GREEN (fully charged).

It took around 24 hours for the LED indicator on the D2 to change from slowly blinking RED (less than 75%) to slowly blinking GREEN (over 75%), blinked GREEN for another 24 hours to get to solid GREEN (fully charged).
Wow. Sometimes my LJR goes a week or more between drives. In that case I put my 4 amp charger on it and usually within a few minutes it shows fully charged. Thats a 4 year old AGM battery.

Same here. Picked up a Noco Genius 2. It appears to do the job. No complaints so far.

Attachments

• 209E9BCF-8D70-44C9-B6F9-1DE8580E0BE5.jpeg
    209E9BCF-8D70-44C9-B6F9-1DE8580E0BE5.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 10
I've worked remote for the last 12 years. I seldom go anywhere during the weekdays. Before the 392, my JK saw only about 4k miles a year. Mine sits all week without issue.

I've worked remote for the last 12 years. I seldom go anywhere during the weekdays. Before the 392, my JK saw only about 4k miles a year. Mine sits all week without issue.

That's what I thought before connecting the D2. I'd usually drive my Jeep weekly, never hesitated to start or any issue.
I was surprised when I connected D2 that LED claimed my battery level was lower than 75%.
Solid GREEN now, fully charged.
Little extra peace of mind given the known shorter life cycle of current batteries.

Back