Off-road Trail App

7.62x392

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2022 JLUR 392 XR
For those who take their 392s off-road, what map software are you using? I’m about to pull the trigger on a year subscription to OnX Offroad but before I do just curious what everyone’s thoughts were on that app or any of the competitors for that matter (such as Gaia).

following!

Somewhere along the line I signed up for alltrails.com - I had heard from somewhere they were one of the best. Sadly, that rabbit hole I went down has completely disappeared from my memory and since I haven't gotten the chance to use the service yet, I'll have to report back in the future after I get my rig and put the service to good use.

In the meantime, I've got the pro subscription and looking forward to trying it out!

I use Gaia, I love it!

I use Gaia, I love it!
following!

Somewhere along the line I signed up for alltrails.com - I had heard from somewhere they were one of the best. Sadly, that rabbit hole I went down has completely disappeared from my memory and since I haven't gotten the chance to use the service yet, I'll have to report back in the future after I get my rig and put the service to good use.

In the meantime, I've got the pro subscription and looking forward to trying it out!
I can only speak for Colorado and Utah… but trails offroad is unquestionably the easiest to use for finding and navigating off-road trails. Gia and All Trails are good choices if you want support for other outdoor activities… but I have found them overly complicated to use if you just want to wheel.

I ended up going with Gaia over OnX, seems like the more established app after doing some further research, but I’m sure they’re all generally similar. Bonus was that it was cheaper at $40 per year vs $99. I’ve used it once now exploring the trails at Wharton state forest in NJ and so far so good. Just make sure to download the maps for the area you are exploring ahead of time as once you lose service only the specific pre-downloaded maps work.

You can set it to record your trip so you can see the trail you just took, or create new trails as you go if they don’t currently exist in the Gaia system (although I didn’t encounter any legal trails that weren’t already in the system this time out). You can also mark and save points of interest along the way (such as good camping spots) to visit the next time out or share with others. Ozark Overland Adventures has a pretty comprehensive video on YouTube talking about many of the functions.

I have half a dozen or so other off-roading trips planned over the next 3 months so I’ll continue to report back as I used it more and learn some of the features.

I use OnX and have since the beginning. It has a committed team and regular updates. The amount of stuff it can do, versus what it started with is amazing. One account across all devices, route planning, Android Auto/CarPlay support, featured trails, 3D maps, offline maps, etc. On the premium subscriptions it even shows property lines and ownership. I have a discount code if anyone wants to use it.

—S

I use OnX and have since the beginning. It has a committed team and regular updates. The amount of stuff it can do, versus what it started with is amazing. One account across all devices, route planning, Android Auto/CarPlay support, featured trails, 3D maps, offline maps, etc. On the premium subscriptions it even shows property lines and ownership. I have a discount code if anyone wants to use it.

—S
What’s the code? I wouldn’t mind giving OnX a try as well. I’ve heard good things about both apps (Gaia and OnX) at the end of the day.

I use the Megellan TRX gps. Advantages and disadvantages I suppose, works for me.

I got six months of onX off-road free with my Jeep. There are not many trails in my area but I have used it to map out the trails on my property and it works really good, think I may renew it when the six months is up.

following!

I do like AllTrails for hiking. Never really checked it out for off-road trails, but recently went to Arches National Park in the JK and did note that the Silver Steps (Herdina Park trail) was done pretty accurately. I’ll have to check into it a little more. Might as well since I have the subscription. Thanks for noting it!

Back