New Skid Plate for Engine Oil Pan

The only mod was making a larger hole for the steel pan oil plug?

Yep, that was the only mod I made. I originally thought I would want to move it up closer to the oil pan, but there isn't much clearance to be had and the exhaust crossover is by far the lowest hanging part. I'm just happy to have it protected.

Just saw where motobilt is releasing a full system for the 392 next week. So another option to consider. No real info yet but I hope that since it’s just now designed and released it will be based around the steel oil pan. Only comparisons being the ones they already produce for the JT and other JLs if no 392 tax pricing is reasonable.
Well looks like it’s available now! https://motobilt.com/collections/newest-products/products/skid-system-for-392-jeep-jlu#description

They dropped a new micro rear bumper and lower corner armor as well. It’s on the new products page.
Just saw that thanks. Bell pan looks nice need to see how the weight compares to the other steel options. I believe it’s about 100lbs heavier than aluminum options. Also says it goes over the fuel tank skid

Last edited:
It also has two mounting positions higher for the stamped steel oil pan

This is pretty tempting. I like what I saw with the intall instructions. With the sale about the same price as all of the other steel options and about the same weight or lighter than others. They said it would ship in about 1 week

I’m sure I just removed 100 pounds of plastic and hardware with the fender chop 🤣

I’m going to put together a spreadsheet tomorrow

I went with the Asfir. It was the cheapest of the bunch, aluminum, and I figured it would be the easiest to modify and make work with the steel oil pan. The pictures are deceiving, it looks like it hangs low but it is at the exact same distance from the ground as the oem exhaust loop, so no clearance is lost. I'm not a hard core wheeler, but wanted to add protection to the low exhaust loop and this one fit the bill.
I did some trail run recently and did notice the exhaust loop connected to the crossmember bar got scratched, other places were fine.

Well, took a couple weeks longer than planned to get around to this install, but other than the Control Arm Skids and Track Bar Brace I still need to get to I now have everything installed including Rusty’s Muffler, 7-Pin, Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, and Enigine/Oil Skids. The install was pretty straightforward for the most part and I only had a couple minor issues (and one more moderate of my own making) with the install. I did this myself, at home on the garage floor, with jacks, ratchets straps and axel stands. In hindsight I would highly recommend going somewhere with access to a lift, especially for the fuel tank skid.

The fuel skid is not an overlay. It replaces the factory skid, which is what holds the fuel tank in place, so you have to be very careful when dropping the tank and work ratchet straps into the process to hold the tank up. The fuel skid is necessarily a very tight fit, so it takes some work to get in place and aligned. Due entirely to my own fault, impatience, and not paying enough attention, I managed to accidentally break off one of the interior frame mounting nuts (good grief, Charlie Brown!!). Had to cut the spinning bolt out and install a rivet nut replacement. Was concerned at first the rivet nut might not hold up to the necessary torque, but it did and all is good.

The only other install issues were with the engine/oil skid. The brackets that hold the front of the skid are a VERY tight fit around the engine mounts and brackets, and of course subject to manufacturing variations. I had to slightly notch out areas on both brackets to get them to properly fit and seat, but they were fine once I did and I only needed to take about 1/8th to 1/4th an inch at most. The last issue was the lock nut on the passenger side bracket mount. It is a very tight squeeze around obstructions and my thinnest thin-walled socket was still too big. I got creative and used a plumber’s tube wrench and just BARELY had enough clearance to tighten the nut with quite a bit of effort.

Other than the above install fun (is there such a thing as a seamless mod install?), everything else went off without a hitch and I am very happy with Rusty’s skid package. It is very solid, well coordinated, and looks great.

As to the engine/oil skid and clearances we’ve been talking about in this thread, you definitely lose more with the stamped steel pan. Here are the pertinent measurements. Keep in mind I estimate I have lost a good 0.5“ to 1” of overall loss to height/lift just from the weight of my various mods alone (winch, grill guard, skids, rock sliders, etc.), and that of course factors into/contributes to the below:

Before Engine/Oil skid install clearance was approximately:

15.75” to lowest point of steel oil pan
15” to lowest point of Fumoto Valve
12.25” to lowest point of exhaust crossover
11“ to lowest point of skid band over exhaust crossover (so effectively true lowest point of exhaust crossover)

After Engine/Oil skid install clearance was approximately:

13.75” at front (highest point) of engine/oil skid
13.25” at approximate location of former low point in oil pan (roughly middle of skid drain cover)
10.75” at lowest point of rear of skid covering exhaust crossover

Bottom line, there is approximately 2.5” (without Fumoto valve) or 1.75” (with Fumoto valve) of lost clearance from this engine/oil skid if you have the steel oil pan vs the original aluminum oil pan.

The only other observation I would make is the engine/oil skid is very, very close to the front of the exhaust crossover on both sides of the skid (see pics below). It fits, but there’s no wiggle room. I’m considering pulling it back off and grinding out a little better clearance for the exhaust pipe, but haven’t decided yet.

For folks with the steel oil pan who are especially concerned with every bit of clearance, this may not be a vialble option for you. For my purposes and type of wheeling I’ll be doing, I’ve decided I am fine with this clearance and overall I really like the Rusty’s skids a lot.

Hope this is helpful and apologies for the long post.
I came across this video today, and came back to re-read the details you posted, indeed helpful!

Maybe hasn’t been mentioned here, this new oil pan skid from Artec is also another option: https://artecindustries.com/collect...d-only-with-oil-door-4-door-392-hemi-aluminum

Very expensive though.

I watched the full skid installation videos, just to get some details of the oil pan skid:

Just not sure if we can only buy and install the oil pan skid, it seems to be able to attach to the transmission cross support skid (some people call it crossmember too).

Last edited:
Maybe hasn’t been mentioned here, this new oil pan skid from Artec is also another option: https://artecindustries.com/collect...d-only-with-oil-door-4-door-392-hemi-aluminum

Very expensive though.

I watched the full skid installation videos, just to get some details of the oil pan skid:

Just not sure if we can only buy and install the oil pan skid, it seems to be able to attach to the transmission cross support skid (some people call it crossmember too).
I watched this video. Very nice system. I never even bothered to check the price.

I came across this video today, and came back to re-read the details you posted, indeed helpful!

I re-felt my own install pain watching this vid. Thanks for posting. I agree with him, once you get it installed it’s great but getting there is a little bit of journey in itself.

Very expensive though.

Artec will sell just the oil pan skid, without the rest…

Artec will sell just the oil pan skid, without the rest…

I like their design and it’s aluminum. Those slots will also help drain out any accumulated water or leaking oil . Hope they’ll have a big sale on 4th of July or wait until Black Friday.

I like their design and it’s aluminum. Those slots will also help drain out any accumulated water or leaking oil . Hope they’ll have a big sale on 4th of July or wait until Black Friday.
I have their whole system and I’m happy. They are 20% off right now. When I purchased at blackfriday last year, they were only 15% off. This is the best price/discount I have seen in a long time.

I have their whole system and I’m happy. They are 20% off right now. When I purchased at blackfriday last year, they were only 15% off. This is the best price/discount I have seen in a long time.
Thanks good to know. Are you able to confirm if we can install just the oil pan skid without other pieces? The picture I saw they have the overlapping section, and the oil pan skid covers another piece.
1686753337079.png

Thanks good to know. Are you able to confirm if we can install just the oil pan skid without other pieces? The picture I saw they have the overlapping section, and the oil pan skid covers another piece.
View attachment 22584
It’s modular you can do just the engine / trans. They mention it in the description on their site.

Attachments

• IMG_8909.png
    IMG_8909.png
    328 KB · Views: 6
I just ordered the Artec one after talking to their sales team. Apparently they designed it to fit both the Aluminum and Steel oil pans. He (Jeremy) also said they're going into production now and will be ready to ship in 2 weeks. Will report back once I have it on. I had their full system on my '19 JLUR and loved it. I'm sure this will be just as good.

I just ordered the Artec one after talking to their sales team. Apparently they designed it to fit both the Aluminum and Steel oil pans. He (Jeremy) also said they're going into production now and will be ready to ship in 2 weeks. Will report back once I have it on. I had their full system on my '19 JLUR and loved it. I'm sure this will be just as good.
Haha, I talked to Jeremy this morning as well and got the same story. I ordered it, along with their diff covers and rear lower control/shock mount skids. Going to be visiting SW CO in a few weeks, and I'd like to have it installed before that.

I like that the oil drain access door is big enough that I can still add a Fumoto valve if I decide to do that. 20% off and lighter weight aluminum helps too - since adding the RSE sliders w/armor, I want to save weight were I can!

Back