New Skid Plate for Engine Oil Pan

So... I've a 2022 392 w/ the new stamped steel oil pan. I (had my shop) install the M.O.R.E. (bare) aluminum engine/trans skid. Interestingly, when I called M.O.R.E. some time ago when thinking of buying their product, they said there were 2 different versions. Now, on their website, it states the current design is supposedly cut to accommodate both the steel and aluminum oil pans... They LIE! lol First... it's obvious that a good bit of clearance is unnecessarily lost... likely from the original aluminum design. Today I went in for 1 of my free dealership oil changes. I can attest that; while YES - you CAN reach and remove the drain plug - you will get a large amount of oil flowing back onto the skid plate. It was bad enough that the dealership removed the lower bolts of the skid in an attempt to remove the oil and TRY to clean up the mess. (Sadly - with very limited success... I've since went to a self serve power wash place and stuck the high-pressure wash up there in a futile attempt to get more oil out.) I have to say... while the quality of manufactoring on the product appears very high, there's obviously some design issue. I'll be calling M.O.R.E. Monday morning to discuss their recommendation for the best path forward. In the mean time... I see that some here are installing a Fumoto F106SX? Are you also buying the drain kit? I could use a little bit of input here... have you since actually had to do an oil change and if so, how painless was it?
The “drain kit” costs a dollar. Went to lowes and bought rubber hose, cut it to length and good to go. No mess, easy and with the MORE shield, the valve is protected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 39
The “drain kit” costs a dollar. Went to lowes and bought rubber hose, cut it to length and good to go. No mess, easy and with the MORE shield, the valve is protected.
Wait... what... you said go with the "MORE shield"???? Is this something above and beyond the actual skid plate?? Educate me??

Last edited:
So... I've a 2022 392 w/ the new stamped steel oil pan. I (had my shop) install the M.O.R.E. (bare) aluminum engine/trans skid. Interestingly, when I called M.O.R.E. some time ago when thinking of buying their product, they said there were 2 different versions. Now, on their website, it states the current design is supposedly cut to accommodate both the steel and aluminum oil pans... They LIE! lol First... it's obvious that a good bit of clearance is unnecessarily lost... likely from the original aluminum design. Today I went in for 1 of my free dealership oil changes. I can attest that; while YES - you CAN reach and remove the drain plug - you will get a large amount of oil flowing back onto the skid plate. It was bad enough that the dealership removed the lower bolts of the skid in an attempt to remove the oil and TRY to clean up the mess. (Sadly - with very limited success... I've since went to a self serve power wash place and stuck the high-pressure wash up there in a futile attempt to get more oil out.) I have to say... while the quality of manufactoring on the product appears very high, there's obviously some design issue. I'll be calling M.O.R.E. Monday morning to discuss their recommendation for the best path forward. In the mean time... I see that some here are installing a Fumoto F106SX? Are you also buying the drain kit? I could use a little bit of input here... have you since actually had to do an oil change and if so, how painless was it?
Go on Amazon and buy what I did. The Fumoto with the drain quick connect hose. Problem solved. It’s a clear hose for the fumoto that snaps on for oil changes. You won’t drop one drop of oil.

Sorry about the multiple same replies. Phone was acting up.

You have a link? I've looked and looked... would much rather prefer to buy off Amazon if possible.

I am all done ordering all my parts. If anyone has any questions, I am here to assist. Got them all delivered.

You have a link? I've looked and looked... would much rather prefer to buy off Amazon if possible.

HOSE KIT FOR 3/8" ID NIPPLE FUMOTO VALVES- type that in Amazon​

Wait... what... you said go with the "MORE shield"???? Is this something above and beyond the actual skid plate?? Educate me??
Sorry meant the MORE Skid plate.

UPDATE... just got off the phone with MORE... turns out that their skid plate was indeed only tested w/ the original design. (THe first person obviously was mistaken.) They were candid in saying that they knew of no one with the newer 392 to test. Soo... I'll be yanking the pan to clean it and buying one of the Fumoto F106SX M14-1.5 Sx Series dain valves. What a cluster... but at least I've a go-forward solution.

Has anyone tried this skid:

Has anyone tried this skid:
Good find. Haven't heard of this one. Might be worth a call.

Good find. Haven't heard of this one. Might be worth a call.
There’s a removable small section that appears to make the drain plug accessible. I might reach out to Rusty’s and see if it’ll work with the steel pan.

Edit: I got a prompt email back from Rusty’s and they claim that it will work with both skids.

Last edited:
There’s a removable small section that appears to make the drain plug accessible. I might reach out to Rusty’s and see if it’ll work with the steel pan.

Edit: I got a prompt email back from Rusty’s and they claim that it will work with both skids.
I wonder if it was designed for the steel pan?

I wonder if it was designed for the steel pan?
Doubtful. All of the pics on their site show it installed with the aluminum pan.

Back