New Skid Plate for Engine Oil Pan

MrDavo

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock
Has anyone installed this?

It would be great if a skidplate like this, and how it bolts on in existing holes, would be available for a 392.

Seems like a better option than others that I’ve seen for the oil pan.

Are there any others on the market that mount similar to this one, or do all of the others require bolting to the motor mounts?

Last edited:
Tested on a vehicle with Aluminum oil pan only.

Keep in mind this one and most of the ones you can buy separately are designed around the aluminum oil pan. They will still work but there is a lot of clearance to be had if someone would build one for the steel oil pan.

Tested on a vehicle with Aluminum oil pan only.

Keep in mind this one and most of the ones you can buy separately are designed around the aluminum oil pan. They will still work but there is a lot of clearance to be had if someone would build one for the steel oil pan.
Good info. to know. So are there none currently available that are designed around the steel oil pan?

That entire area is far too exposed in my opinion. Jeep should have included a skid there or at least offer a MOPAR skid designed around the 392 engine package.

Next venture is the only one that I know of that has a specific option for either pan. The issue (for me) is you have to buy the whole system, they do not sell the engine or front section separately. I'm not looking for a whole system or to spend that kind of money, just looking to protect the oil pan.

Attachments

• NV-392-SOPvsAOL Engine Skid.png
    NV-392-SOPvsAOL Engine Skid.png
    274.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I’ve been looking at this one from M.O.R.E. since I have their skid on my Gladdy and it’s pretty nice:

The MORE skid works but was designed for the aluminum oil pan. So you'll need to consider buying a oil drain valve to keep from making a mess.

Next venture is the only one that I know of that has a specific option for either pan. The issue (for me) is you have to buy the whole system, they do not sell the engine or front section separately. I'm not looking for a whole system or to spend that kind of money, just looking to protect the oil pan.
This is exactly what I’m looking as well. So frustrating you can’t just buy the oil pan skid!

Has anyone installed this?

Apparently the ASFIR skids are only guaranteed to fit the few 2022 Wrangler 392s that have aluminum oil pans; not the 2021s or any with steel oil pans.

From ASFIR:
“At the beginning of the model year 2022 there were vehicles with the aluminum oil pan and we assembled our plates on them. However we cannot confirm the fit on a 2021 model year.”
Best regards,

F21549BF-00EF-44AD-94F2-5D9B834317C6.jpeg

Apparently the ASFIR skids are only guaranteed to fit the few 2022 Wrangler 392s that have aluminum oil pans; not the 2021s or any with steel oil pans.

From ASFIR:
“At the beginning of the model year 2022 there were vehicles with the aluminum oil pan and we assembled our plates on them. However we cannot confirm the fit on a 2021 model year.”
Best regards,

View attachment 14826
Thats odd… the aluminum was the first run. Everything after the initial run, was the steel pan. All 2022 have the steel. Seems like a typo.

Thats odd… the aluminum was the first run. Everything after the initial run, was the steel pan. All 2022 have the steel. Seems like a typo.
Not a typo. It was a specific answer to a very specific question I asked. The ASFIR plates were designed off a 2022 with an aluminum oil pan. There are some early 2022s with the aluminum pans.

It’s also unclear if it was designed off European right side drive, and if that makes a difference in fit.

Agreed, I have a 2022 with the stamped steel pan.

I’ve been looking at this one from M.O.R.E. since I have their skid on my Gladdy and it’s pretty nice:
M.o.r.e. needs to update the pan to fit the stamped steel pan to provide more clearance. I keep asking them.

I keep looking at the Metalcloak. I just don't want the gas tank skid. You have to buy the whole kit and you don't have to install the gas tank skid. I keep hitting my cross exhaust pipe. I wish M.O.R.E would update their design for the stamped steel oil pan.

Not a typo. It was a specific answer to a very specific question I asked. The ASFIR plates were designed off a 2022 with an aluminum oil pan. There are some early 2022s with the aluminum pans.

It’s also unclear if it was designed off European right side drive, and if that makes a difference in fit.
I saw on their site where it states it’s designed with LSD vehicles.
I emailed them. Curious what their response will be.

That is the same reason I didn't want Next Venture. The M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans. skid plate is the way I decided to go (the only one I could find at the time). It's good to see ASFIR offering the same option but I like the M.O.R.E. because it offers protection for the cats which is good to make it harder for a thief to get at.

I wish M.O.R.E would update their design for the stamped steel oil pan.
I have the stamped steel oil pan and I was thinking just like you. After the install I came to the conclusion that it's kind of nice to have the extra space between the skid and oil pan, that leaves some room in case I fell off a rock onto the skid hard enough to bend the skid, it probably would not make contact with the oil pan.

That is backwards. Early 21's had low hanging oil pain. Later 21 and since have had steel pan.

Back