Need advice

NorCal392

Reaction score
I ordered my Jeep 392 back in November (I’m in Northern California). I just recently (and finally) took delivery (VIN678137). I ordered Crystal Granite with half doors. Shortly after delivery I noticed the paint seemed more brown with gold, rather than crystal granite (at least from what I have seen on the web). Today I finally got around to trying on the half doors and taking the top off….. that’s when I really noticed the paint. The half doors appeared grey (crystal granite)…. The rest of the Jeep more brown. Additionally, the fenders and small corner pieces beneath the windshield were a different grey (crystal granitish)…… so…… I called the dealer (they have been great). I’m scheduled to bring it in Monday for them to document and reach out to Jeep. What is everyone’s thoughts? This seems crazy on such an expensive vehicle. Additionally, when I removed the tops, there was masking tape left on the metal beneath the freedom top and it was painted over and left a deep line/gash in the metal/paint (granted this is nothing in the grand scheme of things). Anyways…. See attached photos and please give me your best advice. Cheers.

Attachments

• A6CFEA17-CA27-4C2B-AE12-AE144D7062AA.jpeg
    A6CFEA17-CA27-4C2B-AE12-AE144D7062AA.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 6DDF9615-2768-4EB1-B37D-9581EB58B295.jpeg
    6DDF9615-2768-4EB1-B37D-9581EB58B295.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 291
  • E99FAB9F-5B79-4365-B3CF-8A2758124455.jpeg
    E99FAB9F-5B79-4365-B3CF-8A2758124455.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 277
  • C2528418-65F0-4FC4-9B59-326AF9FAA4D4.jpeg
    C2528418-65F0-4FC4-9B59-326AF9FAA4D4.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 283
ABSOLUTELY agree with you! I can easily see three different colors between the hood, lower front quarter and half doors. At $80k the paint should match. Hell, the paint should match on a $20k vehicle. ANY new vehicle. In your case, QA is borderline offensive. I’d hate to see you lose time while back in for a complete repaint, but on that vehicle I’d demand it.

I ordered my Jeep 392 back in November (I’m in Northern California). I just recently (and finally) took delivery (VIN678137). I ordered Crystal Granite with half doors. Shortly after delivery I noticed the paint seemed more brown with gold, rather than crystal granite (at least from what I have seen on the web). Today I finally got around to trying on the half doors and taking the top off….. that’s when I really noticed the paint. The half doors appeared grey (crystal granite)…. The rest of the Jeep more brown. Additionally, the fenders and small corner pieces beneath the windshield were a different grey (crystal granitish)…… so…… I called the dealer (they have been great). I’m scheduled to bring it in Monday for them to document and reach out to Jeep. What is everyone’s thoughts? This seems crazy on such an expensive vehicle. Additionally, when I removed the tops, there was masking tape left on the metal beneath the freedom top and it was painted over and left a deep line/gash in the metal/paint (granted this is nothing in the grand scheme of things). Anyways…. See attached photos and please give me your best advice. Cheers.
Wow…… big difference in color on those panels from your pics and hard to believe that passed final inspection from factory. Disappointing I’m sure for you given the time it takes to get these builds and certainly not the paint quality expected for an $80k vehicle. Hopefully your dealership will work it with FCA to make it right. Good luck and keep us posted on outcome.

This will be our 3rd vehicle in Granite and that's not Granite. That's BS on 80k and the wait you probably had. They should redo it but what a PITA!

Thank you all for the quick replies. I’m getting more and more freaked out though. I can’t imagine having my brand new 90k (OTD cost with tax) vehicle fully repainted? Seems like that would drastically effect its value?I would hope Jeep would replace it with a perfect example free of defects? But then I would have to wait forever!? I realize I’m jumping the gun…. I’ll find out more next week. Like I said the dealer has been great so far, and I want to give Jeep the benefit of the doubt and allow them the opportunity to make good on this. My gut tells me I will be having to turn this one in though and wait for a replacement!? I waited way too long for this beast of a machine…... and she sounds so good!

Thank you all for the quick replies. I’m getting more and more freaked out though. I can’t imagine having my brand new 90k (OTD cost with tax) vehicle fully repainted? Seems like that would drastically effect its value?I would hope Jeep would replace it with a perfect example free of defects? But then I would have to wait forever!? I realize I’m jumping the gun…. I’ll find out more next week. Like I said the dealer has been great so far, and I want to give Jeep the benefit of the doubt and allow them the opportunity to make good on this. My gut tells me I will be having to turn this one in though and wait for a replacement!? I waited way too long for this beast of a machine…... and she sounds so good!
Have them order you a new one but keep this one until new replacement comes in. That would be my best case scenario but who knows what the dealer protocol will be. Sorry it sure sucks for sure.

Looks like they were sprayed in different conditions or something happened with the material taking the paint. I'd definitely take it in and have them look at it. If they can't help, take it to somewhere nearby(with a MOPAR body shop or that is licensed to handle Jeep body warranty work). They can tell you the definitive answer on the problem and how to remedy it.

If you choose to have it repainted, as long as it done properly, it should last the life of the vehicle and I don't believe it would affect the value.

This will be our 3rd vehicle in Granite and that's not Granite. That's BS on 80k and the wait you probably had. They should redo it but what a PITA!
Unreal. How in the hell did this get past q2?
The factory knows who was on the line when your vehicle was built. A head or two should roll!

Unreal. How in the hell did this get past q2?
The factory knows who was on the line when your vehicle was built. A head or two should roll!
No idea. I know this has been an issue before with the WB Hellcats. I've been on their boards for 5yrs now and many have had their Fenders or bumper paint off. Heard everything from factory wanting to send repainted parts to FCA approving panels resprayed by certain body shops. Parts are sprayed all over the place. My HC was built in Canada and had the fenders and wheels out on in Detroit. They will fix it as to how remains to be seen in this case.

Depending on what the dealer gets from Jeep, donthesitate to go to the regional mgr or to use dispute process outlined in the manual. Hope you don’t need all that and the dealer is able to get a solution that you’re happy with. Good hunting!

Wow, extremely noticeable. Something went wrong somewhere. No way would I accept a repaint on my new vehicle, not even on a Prius. It's not the same as an original factory coat.
No sir-eeee, I'd demand a contract reversal. I've done that twice over the years, even demanded my trade vehicle back off their lot one time. But, that situation was a used Wrangler deal. Then a few years back I had a new Genesis. It had an odd clink or engine knock that was very noticeable. They said it was normal and they called the factory and factory said yes its normal. I said no not to me. They took it back, reversed paperwork, put it on the lot as used, and I waited about a month for another. Oops, they were right afterall, it was normal for that engine. My replacement had the same idle sound and all the others I saw around town had the same. Anyway, tell them you want a fair and professional handling of the situation, they would want the same if it were them. Manufacturers do buy backs all the time and then sell them as such. The title gets classified as a buy back and resold. My friend got a great deal on a very low mileage F150 manufacturer buy back.
Reverse the deal and replace and request priority build if possible. I would not accept anything other. They would have to call the police to the dealership if they refused me. That's just too much money. And Jeep has better quality reputation than that from consumers. We all know Jeep does better than this. Yeah screw ups happen every now and then, but a great company respects the consumers that support it. Put them to the test.

That’s not right. Not on any new vehicle regardless of price. Body parts are painted separately, but should all match when assembled. Your 392 should not have passed QC. Perhaps when Jeep builds ~1K Wrangers each day, some slip by but that shouldn’t happen. Good luck in getting the issue resolved.

Was this resolved? I have an order in granite with half doors.

@Viking Jeeper . Here's a pick of my Granite Doors which are 3-5 shades off. My Dealer got the okay from Stellantis which is good they acknowledged the issue. Now have to get a quote which I've done and submitted to Dealer. So now we wait.
Screenshot_20211008-141314_Messages.jpg

@Viking Jeeper . Here's a pick of my Granite Doors which are 3-5 shades off. My Dealer got the okay from Stellantis which is good they acknowledged the issue. Now have to get a quote which I've done and submitted to Dealer. So now we wait.
Glad to hear that Stellantis is going to make it right. I ordered firecracker red with half doors and I’ll have to watch out for this. I may even insist on taking one of the half doors out of the box during the delivery/acceptance process.

0A174D4D-8B39-44D4-90DB-87A0067DE64B.png

I think the issue with the half doors is that they are not painted when the rest of the vehicle is going through the paint process. Here is a picture of the assembly line and you can see the full doors are attached so is the windshield and hood.
620AF120-0964-4939-AB73-26E6CA710B21.png

My guess is the half doors are either painted by a vendor or in another process and the paint color is not being matched properly. Either way that is not acceptable on any vehicle (except a yugo)

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Stellantis is going to make it right. I ordered firecracker red with half doors and I’ll have to watch out for this. I may even insist on taking one of the half doors out of the box during the delivery/acceptance process.

View attachment 1776
I think the issue with the half doors is that they are not painted when the rest of the vehicle is going through the paint process. Here is a picture of the assembly line and you can see the full doors are attached so is the windshield and hood.
My guess is the half doors are either painted by a vendor or in another process and the paint color is not being matched properly. Either way that is not acceptable on any vehicle (except a yugo)
Half Doors, Cowl, Fenders, and Front Grill all done somewhere else and thrown on. At least you can see if it matches or not. Doors boxed and thrown in Jeep. I already knew it was an issue and we almost pulled them out to check at Dealer. Decided not to because noway you're getting all that shit back in the Jeep like they did. Literally no room for my mats. Also my Dealer is almost 2hrs away so wasn't making multiple trips Knowing what I do now would have then would have just left them there lol.

Back