Matt's 392 Build

7.62x392

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Starting a new thread to track my progress on my 2022 392 XR build, more for myself but hopefully some of you will find some of the info in here useful. Current mods are as follows:

Installed September 2022:
-Warn EVO 10S Winch
-Warn Winch Plate
-Factor 55 Flatlink
-Warn Power Interrupt Kit
-Ravelco Kill Switch
-XR Fender Flare Extension Delete

Installed December 2022 (by Hardline 4x4, Pottstown, PA):
-38x12.5r17 Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires (Load Range C)
-Clayton Offroad 3.5" Overland Plus Lift for 392
-Falcon 3.3 SP2 Fast Adjust Shocks for 392/4xe/JLUD
-Falcon 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer
-Steer Smarts Yeti XD Drag Link
-Steer Smarts Yeti XD Tie Rod
-Adams 1350 Front Drive Shaft
-Adams 1350 Rear Drive Shaft
-Teraflex HD Tail Gate and Tire Carrier Kit

2023 Updates:
-Baja Designs Squadron SAE Fog Lights (installed January 2023)
-Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio (installed March 2023)
-Metalcloak Full Belly Skids (installed March 2023 by Hardline 4x4)
-AEV Front and Rear Diff Covers (installed April 2023)
-ARB Twin Compressor and Epic Kraken (installed April 2023)
-Outback Adventures Trailgater (installed May 2023)
-AWE Switchpath Cat-Back Exhaust System (installed May 2023 by Hardline 4x4)
-2x Baja Designs LP6 Driving Lights in Amber (installed December 2023)

2024 Updates:
-2x JL Audio Stralthbox 10” Subwoofers (installed January 2024)
-JL Audio XD600/1v2 600W sub amp (installed January 2024)

Build Plans (in priority order):
-Switch Pros Bezel Style 8-Switch Panel Power System
-Audiotec Fischer Helix V Eight MK2 DSP
-Focal Performance 165AS Access Series 6-1/2" 2-way Component Speakers System (Roll Bar and Knee Panel)
-RCV Performance Ultimate Dana 44 300M 1PC RCV Front Axle Set
-RCV Performance Ultimate Dana 44 300M Rear Axle Set
-2x Baja Designs LP4 Lights (to be mounted on cowls)

Wishlist:
-UD60s, KMC Beadlocks, 40s, coilovers (still several years away after I am no longer daily driving this and turn it into a dedicated trail rig)

Below are some pics of the 392 both stock the day I took it home from the dealer, and then currently as of today. More detailed pics and information regarding each of the mods to follow as separate posts since I'm limited on the length of each post.

Stock on Purchase Date (ordered 1/19/22, picked up from dealer 6/2/22):
Overall - Stock Front Profile.jpg

Overall - Stock Side.jpg

Post Lift (Current State as of December, 2023):
IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4677.jpeg

IMG_7232.jpeg

Last edited:
Winch:
Thankfully I haven’t yet had to use the winch, so no first impressions on use yet, however I will say that the install process was very straight forward and took about 4 hours. Only snag I ran into on install was that the winch plate didn’t align perfectly with the 8 mounting holes in the frame so had to drill out some of the holes a bit. I also installed the Warn Power Interrupt Kit which is hardwired into the stock Aux 4 switch, so power is only supplied to the winch when Aux 4 is turned on.

Winch - Winch Parts.jpg

Winch - Winch Installed Far.jpg

Winch - Winch Installed Close.jpg

Winch - Warn Power Kit.jpg

Last edited:
Tires / Lift / Shocks / Steering:
My overall initial post lift impressions are that it drives and handles great, the steering is super tight (much better than stock), and the adjustable Falcon valved shocks are not even comparable to the stock monotubes. You can absolutely feel the Hemi working harder to turn those big tires, and there is a noticeable loss of acceleration and feeling of power. It also handles a little more like a truck now and feels a little less 'sporty'. However, I don't mind that at all given I bought my 392 for its off-roading capabilities, not on road performance.

Surprisingly the 38s fit just fine (at least for on road use) without wheel spacers with the 3.5” lift. I have no rub at all under full lock of the steering. I haven’t yet taken it out on the trails, so not sure if that will hold up under full flex situations. I will report back once I start wheeling again in the spring.

The Falcon steering stabilizer really tightens up the steering, and the front end feels rock solid with the Steer Smarts parts up there. Note that the bracket that the Falcon stabilizer comes with is not compatible with the Steer Smarts XD Tie Rod. Had to get a bracket to mount. The link is below:

I love these Falcon adjustable shocks too. Still playing with the adjustability. So far I like setting 2.4 the best for local in town driving, which allows the shocks to absorb the bumps a little more while keeping body roll down, and 3 (firmest setting) for highway driving. I’ll probably use setting 1 (softest setting) for off road use.

In case anyone is wondering what the current market is for our take-off parts, I sold the stock XR tires, suspension and steering components, driveshafts, and tire carrier / hinge gate reinforcement for $1,400, about an hour after I posted an ad for it all on the JL Wrangler Forum. Sold locally, I’m in PA and buyer came up from MD today (1/1/23).

Lift - Parts.jpg

Lift - Front Tire Far.jpg

Lift - Front Spring.jpg

Lift - Front Shock.jpg

Lift - Rear Shock.jpg

Lift - Steering.jpg

Lift - Steering Stabilizer Close Up.jpg

Lift - Tire Close Up.jpg

Last edited:
Tire Carrier:
This Teraflex kit is rock solid. Way more solid feeling with a 38” Nitto than the stock one did with the 35” KO2. I did learn in the process that the max tire size with this carrier and the stock rear bumper is 38”. Mine clears, the bottom of the spare tire barely touches the top of the rear bumper (there is no resistance from it touching when I open and close the tailgate). The shop I had install it noted it did take a little longer than they expected to install and align everything. Overall I’m very happy with it, and it looks real clean, just like it was from the factory.

Tire Carrier - Tire Carrier Close Up.jpg

Tire Carrier - Rear Tire Close Up.jpg

Tire Carrier - Far.JPG

Last edited:
Driveshafts:
The Adams driveshafts are super beefy. They feel much more solid than the stock shafts. Note that with the full-time AWD system that we have on our 392s, the front driveshaft is always spinning (absent using a Tazer to override to 2WD, however I do not want to destroy my axles / diffs so I do not run in 2WD at all). Given there is no aftermarket driveshaft for the JL that has an rzeppa joint, there is potential for driveline vibrations with the single / double carden joints on the Adams (and other brands) shafts. See below link for a whole thread on the JL forum regarding this issue on the 392s.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-driveshaft-mega-thread…buyer-beware.88097/

We initially had the caster set to 6.3 degrees (which is optimal for a lifted JL), however this much caster caused the pinion angle to be too low, causing fairly significant vibrations in the driveline above 45 MPH. We adjusted the caster down to 4.5 degrees and boom, most of the driveline vibrations went away. Not optimal from a handling perspective, however it drives just fine and will hold me over until I can get some UD 60s on there down the road, which have a higher pinion angle than the stock axles which will allow for more caster in conjunction with the AWD system on the 392. Note the stock caster is 4 degrees.

Driveshafts - Front Driveshaft.jpg

Driveshafts - Rear Driveshaft.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is awesome! You have really put some thought and time into this build. Nice color too!

The only mod to my tires/suspension has been to go with 35 inch Ridge Grapplers. I am very happy with the tires and I certainly looked at the 37 as the next size up and the 38 as the next size up in load range C but settled for 35's and no other mods, for the time being.

Since you have XR wheels and no XR fender flare extensions would you mind shooting a pic right down the side of the jeep to show how far out the tires stick? I have been wanting XR wheels, mainly because they have a wider offset. I could use spacers but I think wheels with the right offset are always better.

If you are looking for an under seat ARB mount I suggest the AAL version.

Wow that is awesome! You have really put some thought and time into this build. Nice color too!

The only mod to my tires/suspension has been to go with 35 inch Ridge Grapplers. I am very happy with the tires and I certainly looked at the 37 as the next size up and the 38 as the next size up in load range C but settled for 35's and no other mods, for the time being.

Since you have XR wheels and no XR fender flare extensions would you mind shooting a pic right down the side of the jeep to show how far out the tires stick? I have been wanting XR wheels, mainly because they have a wider offset. I could use spacers but I think wheels with the right offset are always better.

If you are looking for an under seat ARB mount I suggest the AAL version.
Thanks! Tires stick out about an inch and a half or so from the fender. Basically the outside tread lug is what is sticking out. I’ll take and post up a pic for you in the next day or so.

Thanks! Tires stick out about an inch and a half or so from the fender. Basically the outside tread lug is what is sticking out. I’ll take and post up a pic for you in the next day or so.
I thought wheel poke is not allowed in PA, at least May fail at inspection?

I thought wheel poke is not allowed in PA, at least May fail at inspection?
Just have to know where to get inspected lol. Taking the doors off is also technically not legal in PA, but I’ve driven right by cops with my fully naked Jeep and they just wave at me.

Warn winch plate, another guy that didnt research and read the 25 threads on the warn winch plate DO NOT USE posts.

Or my thread on the LP4 and 6 you could have bought and saved an easy $500

I give up

Warn winch plate, another guy that didnt research and read the 25 threads on the warn winch plate DO NOT USE posts.

Or my thread on the LP4 and 6 you could have bought and saved an easy $500

I give up
It took about 5 minutes to slightly oval out 2 holes to get it to fit. It’s a piece of steel that sits under the winch, really wasn’t a big deal.

I’m not ready to buy the lights yet. Want to get skids and a higher clearance exhaust first. Also a pair of LP4s is $750 on Amazon so unless you’re giving them away I’m not sure how I’d save $500.

Installed the Baja Designs squadron amber fog light pocket kit tonight. Super easy to install, took about 30 minutes start to finish for the pair. Basically plug and play, and came with new metal mounting brackets that replace the plastic ones. I think it looks way better with the amber, and these are definitely much brighter than the stock ones too, however not blinding when you look into them (good for oncoming motorists). A pair of Baja LP6s are now in order for the front bumper to match.

Before:
6D62693B-36FE-41A6-BDEE-26A8E5349F73.jpeg

FFBC581A-D5B5-47B2-8577-D224B79000BA.jpeg

Unpacking:
1CC69792-1788-4F10-884B-06DBC8008127.jpeg

F1E36A3C-5C70-44A1-98C3-AD990EB333B1.jpeg

Installed:
17239925-8BEE-486C-9E0E-1AA4C96EB628.jpeg

5377AF8D-1262-4A2C-A3D3-604D050290C0.jpeg

ECEE619B-73A0-4562-859C-5F2A6F27E91A.jpeg

C6EE100D-6ECD-48A2-9A6B-8EBDFC73BCE9.jpeg

Does anyone have any solutions to cover up this space?
EDC03EE1-7D08-44B9-954B-0779950B0341.jpeg

Nice job on lights. Adding to my list. I've read somewhere that a company makes a cover for that area but I can't seem to find them. I may make my own.

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 64
This is a great idea with the mud flaps! What did you use to cut the plastic flaps? The cuts look real clean.
I took off the rubi rails so the old mudflaps with cutout holes no longer needed. Just cut with angle grinder and then smooth the edges a bit, super easy and great fitment, no logo. You can also buy some ABS plastic plates to cut. I don't like the rubber seal/gasket in case they may trap water/snow.

Back