Low Range Speed

Bocephus

Reaction score
Current Rides
Wrangler 392, Ford Expedition
What enables a Mojave to run up to 50mph in 4 low? I think the 392 is capped similarly to a rubicon - 25 (or 30?) in 4 low.
392's have the same low range gear ratio as Mojave, i think - 2.72:1.
I'm puzzling over this partly in view of the Tazer No Limitz, which if i'm reading correctly, removes the 4Lo speed limiter (in addition to the 4hi delimiter).
I can't imagine wanting / needing to approach anything near that speed in 4 low. If I'm 4 low, i'm truly crawling.
But, I'm interested to understand the factors that come into play aside from transfer case low range ratio.

I don't rock crawl much. Most of what I do are remote roads in the mountains. I usually run between 15 and 30 MPH. In high range, I'm usually stuck in lower gears, and downhill runs do not get much engine braking. But low range is not fast enough for smoother parts of the road. Being able to go faster in low range while keeping the engine braking for controlling speed when it switches to a downhill section could be helpful.

I do wish the Jeep had an engine braking knob that dialed in just the right amount of engine braking for downhill sections.

The 392 is about 50mph in 4L. I wanted to go faster on the sand flats at our dunes on the coast. Now I can with the Tazer. But, after getting feedback from the 392 FB groups and talking to a couple Mopar mechanics. I'm probably not going to get the Tazer to increase the speed limiter in 4L. The consensus was the transfer case wasn't designed to spin up faster than 50 in 4L. It could break/come apart.

The 392 is about 50mph in 4L. I wanted to go faster on the sand flats at our dunes on the coast. Now I can with the Tazer. But, after getting feedback from the 392 FB groups and talking to a couple Mopar mechanics. I'm probably not going to get the Tazer to increase the speed limiter in 4L. The consensus was the transfer case wasn't designed to spin up faster than 50 in 4L. It could break/come apart.
Ah okay, so Mojave and 392 are similarly limited in 4Lo. Thanks

Back