Lock nuts and side steps for the 392 XR

HearHear

Reaction score
Current Rides
Lexus, Nissan, 392 Wrangler
I’m leary about buying standard Mopar locking lugs and sidesteps for my 392 extreme recon. The vehicle fitment information always lists Wrangler JL, but never Extreme Recon. So, I don‘t know what’s going to fit with the bigger XR tires/wheels. Anyone use the standard lock nuts (Mopar part no. 4755282AA) with the XR wheels? Also anyone use standard Mopar sidesteps for a Jeep with XR package?

I’m leary about buying standard Mopar locking lugs and sidesteps for my 392 extreme recon. The vehicle fitment information always lists Wrangler JL, but never Extreme Recon. So, I don‘t know what’s going to fit with the bigger XR tires/wheels. Anyone use the standard lock nuts (Mopar part no. 4755282AA) with the XR wheels? Also anyone use standard Mopar sidesteps for a Jeep with XR package?
Even with the Extreme Recon Package you still have the same wheel hub (therefore same lugs) and the same OEM rock sliders, which mount to the exact same holes with the same hardware as the MOPAR Side Steps. When I unbolted the first rock slider I was suprised at how heavy it was when it landed on my chest :oops: and how light the MOPAR Side Steps were. The best part about the MOPAR steps...I can stand on them and clean the windshield without standing in the two doorways. :)

Even with the Extreme Recon Package you still have the same wheel hub (therefore same lugs) and the same OEM rock sliders, which mount to the exact same holes with the same hardware as the MOPAR Side Steps. When I unbolted the first rock slider I was suprised at how heavy it was when it landed on my chest :oops: and how light the MOPAR Side Steps were. The best part about the MOPAR steps...I can stand on them and clean the windshield without standing in the two doorways. :)

Do you have extreme recon? If you don’t mind me asking what side steps did you get?

Do you have extreme recon? If you don’t mind me asking what side steps did you get?
I do not have the XR Package. I installed the OEM Plastic Side Steps and love ‘em. My dealer had a pair in stock, which I preferred because they would be easy to return.
tempImageBkjR9F.png

I do not have the XR Package. I installed the OEM Plastic Side Steps and love ‘em. My dealer had a pair in stock, which I preferred because they would be easy to return. View attachment 2567
@CBH Thank you for the photo! I am curious if it hangs out the same distance as the fenders? It looks great! Do you find it helps prevent rocks from being flung up by the front tires and hitting the rear fenders? Also do you find it is wide enough to act as a legitimate step for more vertically challenged drivers?

I think I’m going to instal the OEM plastic steps when I finally get my 392 in the mail from Toledo. I like that they are simple with no moving parts and made of plastic so they won’t rust. I need something so my wife can get in easily. As she put it: “You get Fox shocks and I get a step”. I’ll just hang on to my OEM skip plates and swap them out when we actually go on an off-road adventure.

Its a 392 not a 2wd sport, use the performance steps so it looks the same caliber as the rest of the Jeep

Its a 392 not a 2wd sport, use the performance steps so it looks the same caliber as the rest of the Jeep
Just to be clear I think you are referring to this part:

Jeep® Performance Parts Rock Rails - Mopar (82215165AB)​

82588DF7-3DFF-4B13-B95A-65468935BAC0.png

As opposed to these which are on @CBH jeep which looks awesome IMHO👍.

Assist Steps, Side Steps, Molded - Mopar (82215164AB)​

924D284F-408F-4A93-8022-AECB735B4878.jpeg

I guess it comes down to “looks the same caliber as the rest of the Jeep” vs. “best meets what you need day to day”.
For normal daily driving I need:
1. protection from rocks hitting the back fender.
2. A wide enough step for the family to be happy getting in a taller vehicle.
3. Something that won’t rust out.

To me the Performance Rock rails look a bit more narrow. So less likely to protect the back fender and less helpful getting in. And they are made of steel so they will eventually rust. The one advantage is the trail but I am sure there a much better rock rails out there if your going for the trail use.

@CBH Thank you for the photo! I am curious if it hangs out the same distance as the fenders? It looks great! Do you find it helps prevent rocks from being flung up by the front tires and hitting the rear fenders? Also do you find it is wide enough to act as a legitimate step for more vertically challenged drivers?

I think I’m going to instal the OEM plastic steps when I finally get my 392 in the mail from Toledo. I like that they are simple with no moving parts and made of plastic so they won’t rust. I need something so my wife can get in easily. As she put it: “You get Fox shocks and I get a step”. I’ll just hang on to my OEM skip plates and swap them out when we actually go on an off-road adventure.
The MOPAR Side Steps fit the contours of the fenders both in width and in design. The gap between the step and the fender is about 1” so the chance of debris getting through that narrow opening is slim. I have never seen any debris on the steps or on the sides of the Jeep... and since they are dimpled plastic, they offer good traction even when wet. Unless you wear a size 16 shoe you will be able to place most of your shoe on the step without slipping off.
tempImageuQglz4.png
tempImagewjtKwH.png

The MOPAR Side Steps fit the contours of the fenders both in width and in design. The gap between the step and the fender is about 1” so the chance of debris getting through that narrow opening is slim. I have never seen any debris on the steps or on the sides of the Jeep... and since they are dimpled plastic, they offer good traction even when wet. Unless you wear a size 16 shoe you will be able to place most of your shoe on the step without slipping off. View attachment 2585View attachment 2584
Can you tell me what Mopar part number that is please? My dealer recommended 82215164 but I want a second opinion.

I do not know. I bought it at the dealer and lost the receipt
Can you tell me what Mopar part number that is please? My dealer recommended 82215164 but I want a second opinion.
Here’s what I found stamped underneath the side steps:
tempImageMh7onZ.png
tempImages6MJLl.png

The MOPAR Side Steps fit the contours of the fenders both in width and in design. The gap between the step and the fender is about 1” so the chance of debris getting through that narrow opening is slim.
That helps out a ton. I appreciate you taking the time to take some detailed pictures of your rig.

In regards to the MOPAR performance rock rails:

1641846613799.png

Does anyone have any experience with these rails on a 392 (or non-392 for that matter)? Seems like a nice option for those that want to keep the look and install location (not having to mess with body mount bolts) of the factory rails while still providing a step. Also seems like they should be pretty corrosion resistant.

I also wonder why the MOPAR websites say that these won’t fit a 2021 (or anything but a 2018) JLU? Quadratec’s website says they will fit a 2018 to current JLU.

Here is a short video about them on Quadratec’s website:

View attachment 2596

Does anyone have any experience with these rails on a 392 (or non-392 for that matter)? Seems like a nice option for those that want to keep the look and install location (not having to mess with body mount bolts) of the factory rails while still providing a step. Also seems like they should be pretty corrosion resistant.

I also wonder why the MOPAR websites say that these won’t fit a 2021 (or anything but a 2018) JLU? Quadratec’s website says they will fit a 2018 to current JLU.

As I was shopping for steps I too was concerned about fitment, since our frames are reinforced and just did not know what might differ. I read many forums and no one had an issue for fitting a standard JL step on a 392. I went the route of Ironman brand steps. Most manufacturers will not confirm that their step will fit a 392, as they simply have not tried. Don't take my word as gospel, but consider me one more data point where all should be fine if you pick a step designed for a 2018 plus JL Unlimited.

As I was shopping for steps I too was concerned about fitment, since our frames are reinforced and just did not know what might differ. I read many forums and no one had an issue for fitting a standard JL step on a 392. I went the route of Ironman brand steps. Most manufacturers will not confirm that their step will fit a 392, as they simply have not tried. Don't take my word as gospel, but consider me one more data point where all should be fine if you pick a step designed for a 2018 plus JL Unlimited.
Appreciate the input.

I’m almost certain that these MOPAR rails/steps literally mount to the same exact holes as the factory rock rails, so I would think they would surely fit.

I’m also wondering if these are as solid as the factory rails and if they provide a nice step? They do appear to be slightly narrower that the molded plastic MOPAR steps that were mentioned above.

Based on what I have seen from the instructions all the Mopar options (rock rails and steps) just mount to the pinch seam holes and the underside of the body ‘u’ channel using brackets.

I would imagine that would be fine for light duty use like steps but for dragging it up and down the Rubicon trail I would want to tie rock sliders into the frame. At that point I would integrate something like MetalCloak under cloak armor into the plan. For now though the steps are perfect for daily “mall crawl mode” driving.

Based on what I have seen from the instructions all the Mopar options (rock rails and steps) just mount to the pinch seam holes and the underside of the body ‘u’ channel using brackets.

I would imagine that would be fine for light duty use like steps but for dragging it up and down the Rubicon trail I would want to tie rock sliders into the frame. At that point I would integrate something like MetalCloak under cloak armor into the plan. For now though the steps are perfect for daily “mall crawl mode” driving.
Factory rock sliders work well for being mounted to the rockers but don’t give any protection from doors while at the “mall” like steps do

Back