RockKrawler 2.5 No Limits with Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. 38s

Attachments

• IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 46
I've got the same 392 specific AEV 2.5 DualSport lift as @CAMEL2R . I share his assessment & am very happy with it. I'd add that the decision should also be driven by your use case. The AEV lift is DualSport - a compromise between road manners and offroad capability. If you are a serious rock crawler there are likely lifts that would be a better choice.

With a winch, power side steps, roof rack & Teraflex Alpha tailgate reinforcement/tire carrier the AEV 2.5" lift added about 1.5" to the existing 1" lift of the 392 . It has a slight rake without gear in back / trailer attached.

LF
Any issues on road? I have been hesistant to move forward because the 2024 stock 392s drive surprisingly well at highway speeds. I'm fine with a small sacrifice in ride quality but I really enjoy the way my jeep drives. Looking at 17in wheels, zero offset, 37in tires, aev 8100xp suspension and lift, teraflex track bar and drag link, and finally an aev steering stabilizer. Missing anything?

I 'think' the extended length on my shocks is 27.2", or something like that. Metalcloak Rocksport shocks have a 28" extended length, and their six pack shocks have a 30" extended length. Three inches more droop at the shock mount makes a big difference. Metalcloak recommended extending the front bump stops, so I actually did not limit up travel, because I am still using the stock length front bump stops from the XR package. I have a little more up travel, but a little less down travel than a pure rock crawler would have. I did that because handling is better and because I did not want to change the stock front driveshaft. I have 15,000 miles on this set up, and the stock front driveshaft appears good as new.

I also plan on changing to either 38" Nitto Trail Grapplers, or 39" BFG KM3s, which are pretty much the same size. My 37" Cooper STT pro tires on Method Bead Grip wheels will move over to my wife's Gladiator Mojave that is now running 35s. The new 38s or 39s will be mounted on a set of Teraflex Nomad split spoke wheels. I want to try the Teraflex air down system.

I don't plan on changing the suspension. Instead, I am switching to Next Venture aluminum high clearance fenders and inner fender liners. They say with the right suspension set up their fenders will clear 42s, so I shouldn't have any problem with 38s. The Next Venture fenders were ordered a month ago, with still another month to go before I expect to see them. Next Venture has a serious lead time on ordered parts.

Last edited:
So I did things a bit different. No “lift kit” but went with Clayton performance coils,RPM arms and steering with Fox 2.5 DSC and metal cloak bumps. Not much height added over stock 1.5 or so in front and .5-.75 rear maybe? 🤔 did have to add a .5 spacer in front after I removed the spare to level it back up. I have no rub front or rear when flexed with 38’s. Replacing inners and chopping or replacing fenders is key IMHO
IMG_2797.jpeg

I went with the Clayton Overland+ Premium 2.5" lift.

On road its amazing. Feels quite a bit more stable on the highway and at any speed than stock. I got the lift about a month after buying the 392 in January and it was a big change. I was a bit worried it was all in my head, so when by friend bought a 392 three weeks ago I drive his around a little to compare. The Clayton lift does make a big difference.

Off road handling is hard to tell due to the limited off road choices I have here in WI. I'll be able to tell more after our trip out west the second half of July (MT, WY UT, CO, etc).
1000005045.jpg
392 Flex.jpg

Last edited:
Any issues on road? I have been hesistant to move forward because the 2024 stock 392s drive surprisingly well at highway speeds. I'm fine with a small sacrifice in ride quality but I really enjoy the way my jeep drives. Looking at 17in wheels, zero offset, 37in tires, aev 8100xp suspension and lift, teraflex track bar and drag link, and finally an aev steering stabilizer. Missing anything?
Your suspension and steering upgrades seem to me like a pretty complete approach. While I've not changed wheels, I've been very happy with the road handling of my 392 bone stock and remain happy with it following installation of the 2.5 lift and 8100xp shock package. The cast iron steering box on the 392's and reinforced frame near the steering box have given the 392 some built-in benefit to road handling that other models don't always have. The AEV lift seems a little more firm ride for day-to-day local use but is a big improvement when loaded up for a venture.

For me, going with the 8100xp shocks was largely for off-road considerations - severe shock fade due to heating while running extended periods over rough terrain. The 8100s have done really well in that regard and their on-road manners are good too.

Just completed a day of off-road travel following installation of a front steersmarts track bar and Falcon 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer. These were added not because of any specific handling issues, but rather as a proactive measure against eventual degradation of the stock parts and plans to move from the stock 33" tires to 37's later this summer. Haven't done anything with the drag link or tie rod yet.

The change to 37's will be accompanied by a regear and installation of MetalCloak ball joints. I'm just shy of 40k miles and the goals have been to maintain the good on-road handling, improve off-road performance and proactively prevent any wear related handling issues.

LF

You can go wrong with Metal cloak, the lift height dependent on the tire size you go with Im on 37, 392 Lock-N-Load 3.5
:LOL: I assume you meant "can't" go wrong with Metalcloak. The Lock-N-Load looks interesting. I haven't seen/heard many people running it, especially on a 392. I guess you must like it? Do you use the "unlock" feature much? Most people seem to run the Gamechanger, so I'm curious to hear from someone who has experienced/seen the difference.

:LOL: I assume you meant "can't" go wrong with Metalcloak. The Lock-N-Load looks interesting. I haven't seen/heard many people running it, especially on a 392. I guess you must like it? Do you use the "unlock" feature much? Most people seem to run the Gamechanger, so I'm curious to hear from someone who has experienced/seen the difference.
One of my friends that wheels with us has an XJ with 38's and the MC Lock and load 3.5 setup. Its a cool idea and if you drive the rig a lot on road makes sense. It takes him a few minutes to release at the trail head once you get use to it not a big deal. I ran their 3.5 springs in the front of my LJ with the mid length arms for a long time on my LJ and it worked great with my 14" coilovers and 4 bar in the rear. Metal Cloak makes good stuff and their Duroflex Bushings to me are what all others should aspire to be. Johnny joints are a horrible design unless you like rebuilding your arms all the time and a total pain in the ass.. For me anyway

IMG_5904.jpeg

King Coilovers all the way 🤠. For reference, my wife is 5’2”
  1. Will support any weight, lift height and tire size
  2. Monster travel @ 14.5” (front) and 14” (rear)
  3. Incredible durability, tune-ability & rebuild-ability make them ‘lifetime’ shocks
  4. Race-proven & very sexy
MC would be my second choice

I agree 100% that coilover shocks and a long-arm suspension is what you’d want for an off-road rig. Not so much for a mostly daily driver. I personally know this to be correct.
I have a stretched LJ, with Genright’s best suspension system offered with 14” King coilovers.
Setup by a shop that regularly builds frame up rock crawling rigs. Yrs it is smooth while driving straight on the highway, however abrupt maneuvers can quickly get interesting.

I’m not posting this for experienced wheelers that know what a coilover system is. I post this to help newer wheelers that are learning from YouTube and forums.

I'll make the argument that King Coilovers are absolutely amazing, both on road and off, if you're running the OEM steering and a tire <40". In fact, I ran that way (from December 2021 to May 2023) until I moved to 1-tons, 40's, and Psc hydro assisted steering.

Prior to the move to 40's, my suspension performed better than my wife's stock 392, on road, and it opened up many new possiblities, off-road, with an additional 4" to 6" of shock travel over the competition...and this was without a sway bar on my Jeep.

As.i said to the OP earlier: what's your budget; what do you want to do with your Jeep, and what's your budget. Me, I'm primarily a rock crawler, live in Colorado, and I knew I was building for 40's but I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there... And I was okay with buying/crying once and hopefully not twice.

Oh, and I do not run long arms. On the JL, long arms get hung up in the rocks and I'd have to carry spares😉. Jk's and earlier required them.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 12
Back