Lift Kits

wijeeper

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 392 2017 Rubi
Does anyone have a list of manufacturers that make lift kits specific for the 392? I want to start looking, but know I need to get something which supports the V8. I have a JKU 3.6L with a 3.5" lift which I am very happy with. I feel like the 392 is short sitting next to it. Any brand or model suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe this has already been posted on here then someone just point me in the right direction. Thanks

I don't have a list, but there are several good lifts for the 392. I went with the AEV 2.5" and 8100 shocks and I'm extremely happy. Not the tallest lift, but handles great on the HWY at 90+, corners flat and doesn't scare the crap out of you on uneven roads at speed or in corners.

And I have a very heavy right foot.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a list of manufacturers that make lift kits specific for the 392? I want to start looking, but know I need to get something which supports the V8. I have a JKU 3.6L with a 3.5" lift which I am very happy with. I feel like the 392 is short sitting next to it. Any brand or model suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe this has already been posted on here then someone just point me in the right direction. Thanks

Remember that your JKU 3.6 has a 2wd option on transfer case, along with front axle disconnect.
Too much lift with full-time 4wd 392 Wrangler and yet can get front drive shaft vibration. Steeper the angle with aftermarket cv drive shafts, the quicker they wear out.

Reactions: 3TV
I went with the rock krawler 2.5" adventure with their rrd shocks. Very happy with it. Remember also to make sure and ask if the lift takes into account the 392 stock height.
Chris

The brands I know of that have kits specific for 392s:
- Teraflex
- Metalcloak
- Clayton Offroad
- JKS

Anyone know if they plan on releasing a Mopar lift specific for the 392 that carries the factory warranty if dealer installed like the current one?

To add another to whats already mentioned above, Evo Manufacturing

Theres a few more out there as well

You can go wrong with Metal cloak, the lift height dependent on the tire size you go with Im on 37, 392 Lock-N-Load 3.5

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 33
I've got the same 392 specific AEV 2.5 DualSport lift as @CAMEL2R . I share his assessment & am very happy with it. I'd add that the decision should also be driven by your use case. The AEV lift is DualSport - a compromise between road manners and offroad capability. If you are a serious rock crawler there are likely lifts that would be a better choice.

With a winch, power side steps, roof rack & Teraflex Alpha tailgate reinforcement/tire carrier the AEV 2.5" lift added about 1.5" to the existing 1" lift of the 392 . It has a slight rake without gear in back / trailer attached.

LF

The MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer added 2 1/4 lift over stock with winch installed. You will need a new driveshaft due to the articulation of the lift. I added the FAD motor hooked to a toggle switch to my 392 to reduce the lube requirements on the front driveshaft CV. The front driveshaft will need to be removed to be able to grease the CV on the transfer case. If you have skid plates like I do it's about a 2 hour job to accomplish this. So just keep in mind the additional maintenance of a lift kit with good articulation.

I have gone with Clayton Offroad paired with Teraflex falcon adjustable shocks and steering stabilizer, and so far I'm liking the current setup.

I have a Metalcloak 2.5" lift on my 392 XR. After adding full Metalcloak skids, RSE step sliders with the optional extra skid plates, a Warn 12K winch, and strong steel Cavfab bumpers and a Cavfab spare tire carrier with a 37" spare tire, the 2.5" Metalcloak lift settled out at 1.5" of lift.

I use Accutuned Fox 2.5" DSC shocks that are spec'd for a 4" lift. With 37" Cooper STT Pro tires mounted on 17x8.5 Method wheels with 0 offset (4.75" backspacing) I am able to run the stock XR front bumpstops with no tire rub. I have 1" extended rear bump stops, with trace tire rub on the plastic inner fender liner at full flex.

I've used this set up for 15,000 miles so far, and the stock front driveshaft remains alive and well. It handles great on the highway and works "well enough" off road to complete multiple tough trails in Moab, the Rubicon Trail, and several other rock crawling trails. A full blown 3.5" Metalcloak lift with their six pack shocks will flex more off road, but it isn't as good on road. I have low-speed compression damping set at 2 clicks out from full stiff and high-speed compression damping set at 2 clicks in from full soft. The result is a ride that feels absolutely planted to the ground, with very minimal body roll, brake dive, or rear squat, but is still soft and supple over bumps.

Just yesterday I got a little frisky on road and left from a stop light while also making a 90-degree right hand turn. How many of you with lifted Jeeps could do a full throttle 90 degree turn on pavement, while lighting up all four tires, and still have your Jeep feel planted to the road, and be comfortably in control of the Jeep? I really like this current set up.

I have a Metalcloak 2.5" lift on my 392 XR. After adding full Metalcloak skids, RSE step sliders with the optional extra skid plates, a Warn 12K winch, and strong steel Cavfab bumpers and a Cavfab spare tire carrier with a 37" spare tire, the 2.5" Metalcloak lift settled out at 1.5" of lift.

I use Accutuned Fox 2.5" DSC shocks that are spec'd for a 4" lift. With 37" Cooper STT Pro tires mounted on 17x8.5 Method wheels with 0 offset (4.75" backspacing) I am able to run the stock XR front bumpstops with no tire rub. I have 1" extended rear bump stops, with trace tire rub on the plastic inner fender liner at full flex.

I've used this set up for 15,000 miles so far, and the stock front driveshaft remains alive and well. It handles great on the highway and works "well enough" off road to complete multiple tough trails in Moab, the Rubicon Trail, and several other rock crawling trails. A full blown 3.5" Metalcloak lift with their six pack shocks will flex more off road, but it isn't as good on road. I have low-speed compression damping set at 2 clicks out from full stiff and high-speed compression damping set at 2 clicks in from full soft. The result is a ride that feels absolutely planted to the ground, with very minimal body roll, brake dive, or rear squat, but is still soft and supple over bumps.

Just yesterday I got a little frisky on road and left from a stop light while also making a 90-degree right hand turn. How many of you with lifted Jeeps could do a full throttle 90 degree turn on pavement, while lighting up all four tires, and still have your Jeep feel planted to the road, and be comfortably in control of the Jeep? I really like this current set up.
I have this same setup in my garage, the final parts being the shocks. I have talked with Accutune and am going to have them build Fox 2.5 DSC's, whats your up travel with your current Fox shocks setup for a 4" lift? Guessing you have some serious droop? Do you know the stroke length on those shocks?

Hey bud. I highly recommend the Clayton 3.5 overland kit with the fox 2.0s shocks with the Tom Woods 1350 front drive shaft. They are a great option if you wanna keep the stock(ish) feel of the shocks. I have no vibrations with those. You can max out at 39" tires without rubbing. I only saw one other member mention this but it is absolutely critical that you keep this in the forefront while shopping for lifts.

Front drive shaft and vibrations. You will have to eventually replace your front stock drive shaft.

If you get a lift that's 3.5 inch you should be okay for a bit but as stated previously, you will have to replace your stock driveshaft in the future. You can even keep it on there for 6 months like I did but you gotta replace sooner or later. The reason is because the front drive shaft is at a steep angle. This will put stress on the CV boot. It will be exacerbated when you flex. As a matter of fact, if you flex too much your shaft will bottom out and hit the CV boot housing.

If you get a aftermarket driveshaft and go higher than 4", you WILL get a vibration.

Here are my points in case I wrote the paragraphs poorly:
*3.5 inch lift, no aftermarket driveshaft - Will eventually have to replace stock driveshaft. Go wheeling but lightly, don't flex.
*4+ inch lift, no aftermarket driveshaft - Just like above but with more urgency. DO NOT FLEX.
*3.5 inch lift, aftermarket driveshaft - The sweet spot. Where you want to be. No vibrations and can flex to the max
*4+ inch lift, aftermarket driveshaft - You will get vibrations. The higher the lift, the worse the vibrations. Mitigated by pinion angle of less than 5 degrees. Will drive like poop.

Good luck.

I have this same setup in my garage, the final parts being the shocks. I have talked with Accutune and am going to have them build Fox 2.5 DSC's, whats your up travel with your current Fox shocks setup for a 4" lift? Guessing you have some serious droop? Do you know the stroke length on those shocks?
I just went out in the garage and measured because I wanted to know myself.

In front I have 4 1/4" of up travel before the bump stop is fully compressed, and I have 4 1/4" of shock up travel before the rubber bump stop on the shock shaft hits the shock body. Luckily that rubber bump stop on the shock shaft touching the shock body is not the limit on up travel, and the shock will continue to compress another 3/8" as its rubber bump stop compresses, before the shock piston bottoms out.

In the rear I have 4" of up travel before the bump stop is fully compressed, and I have 4 1/2" of shock up travel before the rubber bump stop on the shock shaft hits the shock body.

I don't remember what the stroke length on these shocks is. Accutune can give you that information. Just ask what the lengths are for a Fox DSC shock for a JL with a 4" lift.

I would consider suspension droop to be "adequate", but not "serious". I did the Rubicon Trail with another Jeeper that had a 2019 JLUR that had a Metalcloak 3 1/2" lift and Metalcloak shocks, and he had significantly more suspension flex than I did, largely because he had more suspension droop.

There are some quality suggestions here but any lift kit will make you taller... But a great lift needs to meet your personal criteria.

What's your budget, what tire size do you want to run, and what do you plan on doing with your Jeep?

I really like my Teraflex 3.5 RT3 with Falcon 3.3s.

I have also been impressed with my buddy's Clayton.

I think MC makes good everything.

I just went out in the garage and measured because I wanted to know myself.

In front I have 4 1/4" of up travel before the bump stop is fully compressed, and I have 4 1/4" of shock up travel before the rubber bump stop on the shock shaft hits the shock body. Luckily that rubber bump stop on the shock shaft touching the shock body is not the limit on up travel, and the shock will continue to compress another 3/8" as its rubber bump stop compresses, before the shock piston bottoms out.

In the rear I have 4" of up travel before the bump stop is fully compressed, and I have 4 1/2" of shock up travel before the rubber bump stop on the shock shaft hits the shock body.

I don't remember what the stroke length on these shocks is. Accutune can give you that information. Just ask what the lengths are for a Fox DSC shock for a JL with a 4" lift.

I would consider suspension droop to be "adequate", but not "serious". I did the Rubicon Trail with another Jeeper that had a 2019 JLUR that had a Metalcloak 3 1/2" lift and Metalcloak shocks, and he had significantly more suspension flex than I did, largely because he had more suspension droop.
Thanks for that, a couple friends I wheel with have the MC 3.5 game changer and are on 38-40's and have great articulation when we are on trails like Fordyce or the Rubicon. I will talk with the guys at Accutune, if the shocks are 10" stroke I would want 5" up and down. I thought you went with shocks for a 4" lift because you were limiting up travel and wanted more droop thats how my LJ is built.

Back