Koons delivery (damaged) ongoing...

KuntryRube

Reaction score
Current Rides
392XR
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let everyone in on my situation so you guys can be aware.

I ordered a 392xr at the end of August and it was delivered to Koons in Tysons the second week of March. Immediately they called me and told me that they were going to prep it for delivery by washing, putting fuel, and performing inspection. It was going to take 48 hours. I got a call on the 8th with some bad news. Apparently my vehicle sustained cosmetic damage. You're probably wondering how. I will attach pictures below so you guys can see. Now, to answer by the question of "who" and "when", well that I do not know. It could have been from the 'Body Vendor' right after it left the factory. It could have been from the train or freight delivery. Hell, it could have been from the dealer themselves. I don't know if I will ever find out unless I involve litigation.

It's been at the dealership body shop ever since the 10th with an expected date of completion by the 17th or 20th. It has since been moved to the 22nd. I received conflicting details on the status of the fix from the dealership ranging from "They don't have the parts" to "They have the parts and are working on it." The other day I was told that there was a delay on parts. I already learned 20 years ago to never trust anything a dealership says so this isn't a surprise. I just want it fixed and with NO additional miles added to the odometer. It moved from 6 at delivery and inspection to 12 at day of signing paperwork. I have never driven it.

So far, I am a bit frustrated and disappointed. I have already signed all the paperwork so the car is legally mine. The paperwork portion is another juicy topic that involves typical dealership shadiness but I will withhold that information unless you guys really want me to talk about it. I will continue to update you guys on the status as the days progress.

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

So what happened with the paperwork? Did they have you sign everything and then tell you "oh by the way, it's damaged"? Some people have had no issues with Koons, I think they're a bunch of shady MF'ers and wouldn't but a matchbox car from them.

Sorry to hear it, I'd be pissed. It's the principle.

Fortunately, that damage is very minor and easily repairable.

So what happened with the paperwork? Did they have you sign everything and then tell you "oh by the way, it's damaged"? Some people have had no issues with Koons, I think they're a bunch of shady MF'ers and wouldn't but a matchbox car from them.
I wouldn't buy anything from any dealership but we all have no choice since it's the only way we can actually get a new car. For Koons and every dealership for that matter, it's all about the bottom dollar. They are inherently a shady business with a bad reputation and rightfully so but it's the world we live in.

As for the story with the paperwork, I will reserve that for until I have my car in my hands. It's still in their possession and this is a public forum. Not a smart move for me. They were at least honest about that upfront and said it was damaged before I did any signing.

Looks like the owners kid was out in the parking lot throwing rocks at your Jeep.

Shipping/trucker damage
I am inclined to believe and I actually want to believe that. I rather it be freight's fault then the dealership's. That makes things simpler. I don't know if you guys have noticed but my jeep came with the ugly beauty rings on the wheels, the ones with 10 bolts. That sucks.

I am inclined to believe and I actually want to believe that. I rather it be freight's fault then the dealership's. That makes things simpler. I don't know if you guys have noticed but my jeep came with the ugly beauty rings on the wheels, the ones with 10 bolts. That sucks.
They are pretty expensive to get after the fact…….💸

I’m surprised the dealer doesn’t know if it arrived like that, or it was something they did.
Either way, I wouldn’t accept delivery.
If you do accept delivery, are they refunding you anything? Are they filing a car fax incident? Are they offering a warranty on the work?

I’m surprised the dealer doesn’t know if it arrived like that, or it was something they did.
Either way, I wouldn’t accept delivery.
If you do accept delivery, are they refunding you anything? Are they filing a car fax incident? Are they offering a warranty on the work?
It was washed and prepped and they noticed it after the fact so I don't think they drifted it into a chain link fence or anything like that; at least I would hope not. I could tell they noticed it after because the tires were shined. I already signed the paperwork so delivery is as official as it gets but they are covering it under warranty work as "freight damage." I asked if they are putting it on carfax and they said no. Good. They better not. I don't plan to sell it but I would rather keep the carfax clean. No refunds or discounts unfortunately. This experience just sucks all in all. Stay tuned for dealership story once I get my vehicle.

My Jeep arrived at the dealership (Granger) with some damage from shipping. They sent me an email the instant the vehicle arrived and told me they found some minor damage, and let me know they'd be replacing any damaged panels before delivery. It couldn't have been an easier experience. They took care of it 100% and I have nothing but good things to say about them!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and glad Koons is taking care of it! You'll be amped once you have it in hand and can put the whole experience behind you!

I don’t think any warranty work shows up on carfax.

Koons will make it right. Toledo forgot my all weather floor mats.

This dealer is the worse from top to bottom. I bought my first 392 from them but never again. They make you fill out credit forms when you pay cash, sneak in fees and additional markups, lose deposits, etc. Service is chaotic. Idiots

Last edited:
I've bought from them twice and had pretty good experiences both times. The second time, there was an annoying thing that happened that was out of their control, but they were willing to go above to make it right (it ended up working itself out).

The second time I bought from them, I changed my order twice and they just let me transfer my deposit to the next order each time.

I mean, they are a high volume dealer. They aren't there to be the small town dealer that someone pledges allegiance to for life. I'm not saying that people should be wronged with their $90k vehicle, and I hate hearing when someone has a bad experience, but going in with the proper expectations is important too. I look at it this way: Go with a place like Koons, pay a decent amount less, and hope everything goes smoothly VERSUS go with a smaller local dealer, pay more, but expect tailored service and attention if something goes wrong.

We all have unique experiences. I've gotten screwed over worse with a local small town dealer (not Jeep).

I had similar issues years ago with my Grand Cherokee, little paint scratches in a few places. Dealer's body shop tried to fix it but not good as new and I can still see some. They'll probably get a new rear fender for that area and the fuel door. Not sure about the taillight area... Good luck and hope they'll make it right!

That sucks.
A little insight- I bought a Durango SRT with body panel mis-alignment. The dealer and I shook hands that they'd fix it without needing repaint or I'd return the SRT. They needed to re-paint the quarter panel and the rear fender. I refused- it's a new vehicle and I'd be at the mercy of their body shop for quality. (I doubt Koon's does in house paint either.) It took awhile but the dealer honored their promise. I returned it and bought the 392.
If it were just the hard top I'd say don't worry about it. They're often not perfect. But with the damage to the rear quarter panel and the fender you have two tricky areas to touch up. I would be flabbergasted if you insisted on cancelling and Koon's wasn't cooperative. I had my Durango for almost 2 months with mileage on it- and you haven't even taken delivery. They can sell yours in a heartbeat unless you added an odd package. Plus- the new 392 looks to be better equipped. This could be a win-win for you.
One other thought is you could insist that they add new aftermarket fenders so paint isn't required....

I've bought from them twice and had pretty good experiences both times. The second time, there was an annoying thing that happened that was out of their control, but they were willing to go above to make it right (it ended up working itself out).

The second time I bought from them, I changed my order twice and they just let me transfer my deposit to the next order each time.

I mean, they are a high volume dealer. They aren't there to be the small town dealer that someone pledges allegiance to for life. I'm not saying that people should be wronged with their $90k vehicle, and I hate hearing when someone has a bad experience, but going in with the proper expectations is important too. I look at it this way: Go with a place like Koons, pay a decent amount less, and hope everything goes smoothly VERSUS go with a smaller local dealer, pay more, but expect tailored service and attention if something goes wrong.

We all have unique experiences. I've gotten screwed over worse with a local small town dealer (not Jeep).

It's not just about being screwed over,it's about basic business sense and they have none. They couldn't even process tags. They are a shit show.

I buy many cars and have never seen such a mickey mouse dealership but people are free to shop wherever they like.

This is a lot of insight and quite frankly, I don't know what else to say. I feel conflicted between 'things are gonna be alright' and 'koons is straight up shite,' lol. I am supposed to get it tomorrow but Craig isn't guaranteeing anything. I honestly doubt it will be ready tomorrow. This just blows. I am this close to telling them to give me the car and I'll come back when the parts are here, if they aren't.

Damage to the rear quarter panel is not good like jeepherz said. It's not a replaceable part and I don't know how they're going to fix it. One of the scratches actually has a very small indentation but I still consider that a dent. Not quite sure what to do at this point. I don't know if Koons would take a return since I already signed papers.

Back