Just ordered my 2023 392 in Sting Gray @ 9% off MSRP - questions on XR option!

Reaction score
Current Rides
GMC AT4 6.2L
Hi All,

Finally made the leap and was able to order a new 392 Wrangler in Sting Gray w/ the one touch top For 9% off MSRP through a broker ($599 broker fee). I had been waiting for these to get cheaper and decided to finally take the leap. I need to replace my current vehicle in a round 6 months or so, am hoping the build gets done in time. I have a back up plan if not. I had a few questions specifically regarding the XR option below.

I was unable to select the XR build due to it being absent from the order bank currently. I was told this has closed and opened in the past. How big of a deal is it to miss out on this? Is it really dumb to just create my own XR kit after I get my Jeep (ruin the warranty on an 80k Jeep)? Will I notice a huge difference in the lack of XR gearing (will mostly be road driving)? Has any one had luck reconfiguring your build while waiting if it was still pending? If the XR option becomes available, I may try and do this if my dealer would let me.

Thanks in advance!

RJ

What aspects of the XR do you think you might miss?

I think the overall aggressive stance, a bit more off-roading capabilities and as far as I read a bit slower 0-60?

I’d say just leave it as is, but if you don’t mind paying more, you could send it to aev.

were you able to order the tailgate reinforcement option?

Welcome! I think your going to get a range of answers on this one. I ordered back in July and for me the XR was a must have option. Not for any performance reason however, it was just what I wanted. I don't off road but I liked the idea of the 35" tires and 4.56 gears under warranty. I generally buy the most capable FACTORY vehicle I can and select all options when I buy. You have to decide if you fall in the same camp or not. If you are going to modify with lift/big tires/gears anyway or don't care about the warranty then I think XR is a waste of money. You can get a regear and tires for about the same price as XR and unless you abuse it you probably won't ever have a gear related issue anyway.

My neighbor has a non XR and I have driven it many times as well as the XR version and I can't really tell any difference just driving them around town. Acceleration etc. "feels" the same to me (remember non XR is 33" tires vs 35"). But if you install 35" or 37" tires on the non XR you might start to notice a little difference. Keep in mind this is not a drag racer but 470HP is going to move any Wrangler regardless of tire size and gears with authority.

You can change your order until it is in D1 status (but verify with your dealer) so if the XR opens up before then it shouldn't be a problem for the dealer to make the change.

Last edited:
I generally buy the most capable FACTORY vehicle I can and select all options when I buy. You have to decide if you fall in the same camp or not. If you are going to modify with lift/big tires/gears anyway or don't care about the warranty then I think XR is a waste of money.
Same feelings as you. Pleasantly surprised at how capable a stock XR is.

I think the overall aggressive stance, a bit more off-roading capabilities and as far as I read a bit slower 0-60?
I guess I was hoping for more specific answers such as 35 inch tires, 4.56 gear ratio, extended fender flares etc. Some people have bought an XR then put 38 inch tires, different wheels, and 4.88 gears in it. A waste at that point.

I have a non XR, it was not an option when I ordered but I wasn’t willing to wait and risk losing out on a 392 all together (it could be discontinued anytime). It didn’t bother me missing out on XR because I knew I wasn’t keeping the stock wheels and tires. I put on Hutchinson Rock Monsters and 35 inch Cooper STT Pro tires giving it a great stance. The 4.56 gears from factory would have been nice but even with the 3.73 gears it is still a rocket. Now maybe my senses aren’t as finally tuned as others but I didn’t notice any drastic amount of difference in power after the swap. The lift is the same for both.
If XR becomes available before the cut off and you still want it I say best of luck but a non XR is nothing to laugh at, it’s a bad ass Jeep and it will put a smile on your face every time you stomp on the skinny peddle.
🚨FYI🚨 When the day of delivery comes be sure to push each and every fuse in the fuse box to ensure they are all properly seated.

Last edited:
Have a look at this thread if you have any questions bout suspension, it think it covers that topic pretty well.

I guess I was hoping for more specific answers such as 35 inch tires, 4.56 gear ratio, extended fender flares etc. Some people have bought an XR then put 38 inch tires, different wheels, and 4.88 gears in it. A waste at that point.

I‘ve purposely bought two XRs to prevent me from modding them after I spent way too much money lifting my JLR.

I like all of the XR add ons except for the new 392 rash rings. I even like the fender lips.

3D2AEDA9-7943-496F-A9BB-99057EFCC5CB.jpeg

3893E1CB-EE44-4A0C-A1A7-BB29FD35B41B.jpeg

Honestly I think the XR is over hyped but if I knew the wheel color I probably would have bought one. In the original release they were very bright gold color and I would have had to replace them so I opted out. I do know for the same money on ordering I would rather have the half doors (I do) than the XR.

Welcome! I think your going to get a range of answers on this one. I ordered back in July and for me the XR was a must have option. Not for any performance reason however, it was just what I wanted. I don't off road but I liked the idea of the 35" tires and 4.56 gears under warranty. I generally buy the most capable FACTORY vehicle I can and select all options when I buy. You have to decide if you fall in the same camp or not. If you are going to modify with lift/big tires/gears anyway or don't care about the warranty then I think XR is a waste of money. You can get a regear and tires for about the same price as XR and unless you abuse it you probably won't ever have a gear related issue anyway.

My neighbor has a non XR and I have drivin it many times as well the XR version and I can't really tell any difference just driving them around town. Acceleration etc. "feels" the same to me (remember non XR is 33" tires vs 35"). But if you install 35" or 37" tires on the non XR you might start to notice a little difference. Keep in mind this is not a drag racer but 470HP is going to move any Wrangler regardless of tire size and gears with authority.

You can change your order until it is in D1 status (but verify with your dealer) so if the XR opens up before then it shouldn't be a problem for the dealer to make the change.
Good info thanks!

Wouldn't buy a XR if you gave me the option for free.

Im going to keep monitoring the order bank every week or so and if XR is available will add it but if not have some plans for aftermarket goodies after doing some research. Wonder if there are others in the sAMD situation maybe we could start a separate thread on if the XR option becomes available again.

Id be surprised if the XR came back for the 2023 MY. Jeep removed from the configurator on their website a week or two ago, which generally is a good indicator. Once they did that for 2022 the XR never came back. Who knows if the 392 will even be back for 2024 at all.

Back