JL Forum: Why the Hate?

YukonCornelius

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
A Quarter Horse Named "Lex"
Okay - So I've been a Jeeper for over 3 decades. Subscribe to the main forums: wranglerforum, jlwranglerforum, jlwrangler, and of course, here.
I've noticed, not since the announcement (because EVERYONE was "oohing" and ahhing") but since owners actually started taking deliveries of their 392's, the hatred from non-392 folks is through the roof. I don't get it. Jeep is a family. And like my family, I'm WAY better looking and WAY smarter than my sisters, but we still all get along! (That's a joke, son! I'm only moderately better looking than they are) I digress... Anyways, trying to follow pics and info on the XR package, I've been spending a lot of time over there. It's pretty disgusting how they are so quick to turn on each other.... and it just keeps getting uglier.

This site? Haven't seen ANY trash talk. In fact, folks on here seem way more helpful than any other forums (Jeeps and others)

I attribute this to a classy guy who had a classy vision for this site. Again @willy congrats on a great and successful site.

Now I have to spend some more time on the JL forums. I'm mainly on wranglertjforum. There, when I said I was thinking of a 392 I did get a lot of "why do you need that?" but I would not say I was hated.

Whats the main problem? Gas mileage? A 392 probably gets better MPG than my LJR.

Okay - So I've been a Jeeper for over 3 decades. Subscribe to the main forums: wranglerforum, jlwranglerforum, jlwrangler, and of course, here.
I've noticed, not since the announcement (because EVERYONE was "oohing" and ahhing") but since owners actually started taking deliveries of their 392's, the hatred from non-392 folks is through the roof. I don't get it. Jeep is a family. And like my family, I'm WAY better looking and WAY smarter than my sisters, but we still all get along! (That's a joke, son! I'm only moderately better looking than they are) I digress... Anyways, trying to follow pics and info on the XR package, I've been spending a lot of time over there. It's pretty disgusting how they are so quick to turn on each other.... and it just keeps getting uglier.

This site? Haven't seen ANY trash talk. In fact, folks on here seem way more helpful than any other forums (Jeeps and others)

I attribute this to a classy guy who had a classy vision for this site. Again @willy congrats on a great and successful site.
This is exactly why I hardly ever get on that site, all kinds of hatred...screw that..ha! It also seems to me that, that particular Jeep family is more dysfunctional than most. I've got better things to do with my time like enjoy the 392, rather than defend purchasing one.

Whats the main problem? Gas mileage? A 392 probably gets better MPG than my LJR.
Jeepers bashing on other Jeepers over gas mileage? That is comical! Jeep are the most highly modified vehicles on the market and every add-on adds a different dynamic to how that particular vehicle drives. I never understood the need to compare mileage with others, unless your mileage is egregious compared to stock. Then I understand getting an idea of what others are getting to determine if there is a possible mechanical issue.

Also, I agree with your statement and I fully suspect that my 392 will get better mileage than my current Jeep.

“Haters” look best in the rear view mirror of my 392!💨💨💨😎
‘Merica!💪🏼🇺🇸

Agree 100% man. I've got 3 fingers lol. Thank God for the gym or I'd be choking people. Haha.

Ha, I had to sign up so I could reply as I’ve noticed it too. I was researching heavily back in 13’ 14’ and 15’ for my JK rubicon. I was reading everything! Didn’t participate much but I’d read it all. Back then the community was extremely helpful and mostly kind to one another (save for one forum and we all known which one). My rig was pretty much finished a few years ago so I haven’t been on them except for when I start thinking about a V8 swap, Tons, long arms etc….. back in the day the friendly argument was Hemi vs Diesel. It’s was always friendly. Someone would say “man I wish they would make a Diesel!!!!! And the next would be “screw that HEMI!! Where is the Hemi”. Then the thread would go on. Now we have both and they get shit on. I have my gripes with both. Too much emission in the diesel for me. I wish the 392 you didn’t have to get a fully loaded rubicon to gain entry, but it is what it is. The 392 is frickn’ bad ass, are you kidding me?? Everyone begged and begged for a v8 and now many shit on it now that you can have one. They think it a yuppy wagon, a mall crawler!!!! So what if someone isn’t hardcore. I don’t like 20’s and 22’s on these 392’s but good on you if YOU do, it’s your Jeep customize it to your liking. Also I think it’s part of the culture now to be dicks to one another on line. I’ve got a nice rig, been on the rubicon with it twice. Been researching a Motech LT motor for it. Also been researching 392. 392 won out, it’s badass, I ordered last Friday! Yay. I’ll keep it stock for a few years as it has the XR package then maybe go big down the road?? Who knows. I live in S Nevada and there really isn’t many hard trails that require 40’s. I’ll go to Moab and do the easy trails which is rad too.

Since becoming a "Wrangler guy" in 1998, after buying my 1994 YJ Wrangler (another controversial Jeep with the square lights), I've noticed "hate" from one family of Jeepers to another family of Jeepers, and vice versa. It is not unique to Jeeps. Go visit the Ham radio forums, the fishing forums, the gun forums, etc. May have to do with that "purist" mentality many have, but it may also have to do with very human emotions...envy, jealousy, resentment, etc.

My 1994 was made fun of as, "real Jeeps have round headlights." The Jeep world went hands up in the air when the 4-door JK came out and many "hated it," also making fun of it as, "real Jeeps have two doors." Then it happened again with the Gladiator. Now it's happening with our 392.

Anyways, I have learned to laugh "haters" off and just think to myself, "you probably wish you had this."

I don't do the other jl forum anymore because of the trash talk. My takeaway was the trash talkers think 392 owners are all rich snobs. (Or worse) I worked my ass off for 40 years to be able to afford our 392.
Unfortunately our 392's are out of reach for many jeep owners. When they see what some people are spending after the initial purchase, I think they jump to conclusions...
Like the rest of this country... we are now divided too.
So sad.
Had a ‘95! And yup! I remember those comments as well!

I'm not going to apologize to anyone for being able to buy a 392! Have an attitude because I have 392 and you can just KMA!!!

Can't agree with you guys more! A true car guy/girl appreciates a great vehicle, except of course for the camaro or mustang feud - LOL. But you can still appreciate regardless of camaro or mustang allegiance. What anyone chooses to spend is their business. I know we all spent a big penny on the 392 itself, but still appreciate all of those that spend even more on other vehicles. Not saying I don't wish I had more to spend on cars, but appreciate those that do. You just gotta treat people right. Enough divisiveness in all other areas - cars are for fun! Man, never thought I would be posting this type of post in the 392 forum, or any other forum for that matter. Definitely appreciate what we have in our forum! Thanks again to @willy !
...and yeah - have an attitude, then it's on. Enjoy the view of tail lights.
Chris

I honestly think it the same as in other parts of our life. Some people can never celebrate a friends, new house, new car, or vacation. Most of us here, have had times we couldn’t afford 4 wheels much less a 392. So I say celebrate everyone’s good fortune and hard work to have a 392. Not ever forgetting where we came from but celebrate your 392’s!!! Not everyone is ever happy for your good fortune.

Subscribe to the main forums: wranglerforum, jlwranglerforum, jlwrangler, and of course, here.
There are other jeep forums?!? Really?;)
But I guess some people gotta hate, as a new Jeeper I have learned a lot on this forum and especially from you YukonCornelius your info on 2022 production was spot on... thank you!
I will keep watching and learning and maybe soon I'll have something useful to add, but for now I appreciate this forum.

I've noticed this as well, I feel like there was a little bit of this back when the JK first came out as well (not as bad as it is now with the 392's lol) but over time it passed and they accepted the JK after seeing the mods and capabilities. I'm thinking, and hoping, the same will be true for the 392's, because 1.) They're just straight badass 2.) I miss my Jeep waves lol

I don't do the other jl forum anymore because of the trash talk. My takeaway was the trash talkers think 392 owners are all rich snobs. (Or worse) I worked my ass off for 40 years to be able to afford our 392.
Unfortunately our 392's are out of reach for many jeep owners. When they see what some people are spending after the initial purchase, I think they jump to conclusions...
Like the rest of this country... we are now divided too.
So sad.
Ditto! I served on active duty for 30 years, starting as an Airman Basic making $500/month. I moved 18 times; lived in 9 different states and 2 foreign countries. I survived 53 rocket attacks and 3 ex wives. I never begrudge anyone who drives a nice vehicle and I’m always quick to complement them on their choice. Life is short; when I finally realized I was going to run out of time before I ran out of money, I decided to reward myself with a Rubicon 392. I avoid haters and hate speech. I am thankful this forum has neither.
tempImageMMLM6I.png

Back