Jeep Paint Issues

Furrzeta

Reaction score
Current Rides
392; M4
Went to give the 392 a good wash and I noticed that what I was washing was not dirty...It was a halfbutt paint job! I've noted white overspray on the C-Pillar in the rear, but now I see that it looks like Jeep just tapped around the hinges and then sprayed. If you check the parameter around all the hinges you will see they are not painted under the hinge or around it. WTH? Can anyone confirm that their Jeep is or is not different? Beyond the Janky look it also seems like I'm going to have rust issues after the first winter! I was thinking about a PFF/ceramic but I think this needs to be addressed first....this is not an 80K paint job or proper QC IMO. Any suggestions?

IMG_1069.jpeg
IMG_1066.jpeg
IMG_1067.jpeg

I had the same issue behind the tailgate hinge. Also had light coverage in the engine bay, beneath both cowls. Also the B pillar had light clear coat, rear was gloos and front wad matte. I had a line of bubbled paint on the freedom top. About 4k to correct to my satisfaction. The shop said it's fairly common. I often hear repair work is not as good as factory. Not so, I would take a skilled painter over a robot. Jeep seems to be OK spending a fortune on repairs and poor customer sat than reprogramming a robot.

Last edited:
I had the same issue behind the tailgate hinge. Also had light coverage in the engine bay, beneath both cows. Also the B pillar had light clear coat, rear was gloos and front wad matte. I had a line of bubbled paint on the freedom top. About 4k to correct to my satisfaction. The shop said it's fairly common. I often hear repair work is not as good as factory. Not so, I would take a skilled painter over a robot. Jeep seems to be OK spending a fortune on repairs and poor customer sat than reprogramming a robot.
I'm assume jeep did NOT cover the 4K to "touch up?"

Yeah, it was partially your first post on this that got me looking. Thanks and total bummer. Costume paint job you got!;) Any comments for Jeep/FCA please let me know.
Taking it in tomorrow. They will handle it. Just not sure how. Just dropped about 7k on full wrap, xpel, tint, yada yada. They won't be able to blend.

My wife has a willys in the same color and same shade difference in the cowl
You get it repainted? I know it drives me nuts. Especially when other people notice.

Taking it in tomorrow. They will handle it. Just not sure how. Just dropped about 7k on full wrap, xpel, tint, yada yada. They won't be able to blend.
Maybe a question for another thread, but if you are willing to share ~ cost on Xpel 7K or ws that for the works?....I'm very curious. I've seen many wraps but not for "protective" reasons. Garage is on my To-Do list but we have been looking at wraps to protect both our cars until that happens. We have Xpel installers around but I have zero info on costs for a Jeep or Pro/Cons. If you have any wisdom...tell it please!

Maybe a question for another thread, but if you are willing to share ~ cost on Xpel 7K or ws that for the works?....I'm very curious. I've seen many wraps but not for "protective" reasons. Garage is on my To-Do list but we have been looking at wraps to protect both our cars until that happens. We have Xpel installers around but I have zero info on costs for a Jeep or Pro/Cons. If you have any wisdom...tell it please!
It was for the works. They wrapped Xpel over whole Jeep except for tailgate. Full ceramic tint including windshield, smoked out all lights, Full paint correction,, Gtechniq Ultra and Exo coatings on whole Jeep including wheels, all new badging, decals, and emblems. Interior leather protection along with dash. Windows have Gtechniq window coatings. They had her 9 days well technically could have been 7 but wasn't picking her up in the rain. Lol. Xpel will protect paint from rock chips, bird shit, tree sap, ect. Front grill, hood, fender flares, and doors(full or partial) are probably the areas that take most of the abuse. Xpel has a 10yr warranty. Ceramic Coating goes over Xpel or not. It's per say a hydrophobic clear coat on steroids. To wash Jeep just need ONR 2 buckets a mitt and waffle weave towels. Wipe and dry lol. Clean whole vehicle in about 20mins. Bonus is bird shit ect. wipe right off. Comes with a 9yr warranty. To me it's worth the investment I like my shit looking good, protected and easy to clean. The #1 concern is who does the installation. Do your research because only as good as the install. When you get time go to YouTube and look up Chicago Auto Pros. They have a shit ton of videos that explain everything. Highly recommend watching. Whenever you go there it's like a car show.. People travel all over in the Midwest to go there. Keep in mind I went all out on her. There are other options to keep cost down. 3yr coatings, partial xpel like half hood, non ceramic tint. Oh. Also the products they use says alot about a company as well. These guys have videos where they test 8 different brands of tire shine over a week gap to see which works best then they will use it. So what just went on my Jeep was same stuff that was put on a McClaren a few weeks ago.

This really concerns me as I have an order in including the same color and half doors.
Well don't be surprised lol. Hope yours works out well. It's a known issue according to my Dealer and it's hit or miss.

I have what looks like a tape line on all 4 fender flares. It’s almost like they painted the Jeep then did another coat of clear on the flares.

It was for the works. They wrapped Xpel over whole Jeep except for tailgate. Full ceramic tint including windshield, smoked out all lights, Full paint correction,, Gtechniq Ultra and Exo coatings on whole Jeep including wheels, all new badging, decals, and emblems. Interior leather protection along with dash. Windows have Gtechniq window coatings. They had her 9 days well technically could have been 7 but wasn't picking her up in the rain. Lol. Xpel will protect paint from rock chips, bird shit, tree sap, ect. Front grill, hood, fender flares, and doors(full or partial) are probably the areas that take most of the abuse. Xpel has a 10yr warranty. Ceramic Coating goes over Xpel or not. It's per say a hydrophobic clear coat on steroids. To wash Jeep just need ONR 2 buckets a mitt and waffle weave towels. Wipe and dry lol. Clean whole vehicle in about 20mins. Bonus is bird shit ect. wipe right off. Comes with a 9yr warranty. To me it's worth the investment I like my shit looking good, protected and easy to clean. The #1 concern is who does the installation. Do your research because only as good as the install. When you get time go to YouTube and look up Chicago Auto Pros. They have a shit ton of videos that explain everything. Highly recommend watching. Whenever you go there it's like a car show.. People travel all over in the Midwest to go there. Keep in mind I went all out on her. There are other options to keep cost down. 3yr coatings, partial xpel like half hood, non ceramic tint. Oh. Also the products they use says alot about a company as well. These guys have videos where they test 8 different brands of tire shine over a week gap to see which works best then they will use it. So what just went on my Jeep was same stuff that was put on a McClaren a few weeks ago.
Really appreciate the feedback. There are a number of certified installer in the state. Now it is a matter of figuring out who. Again, predicate it!

Back