Issues with half door paint mismatch..

dog

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
'22 392 XR ordered Jan 21 2022 -------------- Picked up Aug 22 2022!
Hey y'all - I have been watching craigslist/marketplace/forums for over a year and I finally found a set of half doors, in my color, close (AKA not on the east coast haha), and at a decent price! Couldn't be more amped. I had to drive 6.5 hours each way to get them, but I got 'em! Bonus: brand new in box, AND they came off of a 392 so they've got all the bells and whistles, PLUS it's a '22 model just like mine, so it was a slam dunk!

UNTIL... I put them on the jeep and saw the color of the paint is slightly mismatched. They're sarge green, yeah. But, they're noticeably less warm (and therefore slightly darker/flatter green) than the rest of the vehicle's paint. I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but for 5 grand, it's disappointing.

Doing some research, I've seen that several people have gotten much worse mismatched paint than I did... and most of them are orders that actually came with the jeep itself. The way I understand it is that the half doors (and some other pieces, possibly the cowls) are actually assembled and painted by a 3rd party contractor, and with the well-known lack of QC on these things, some people just get super unlucky. It's really hard to justify getting them repainted... I've heard it's tough to get a good match that way too. Sadly I can't claim warranty since I purchased them off another jeep... but dang... they were the same freakin' model year. What a shame.

Has anyone else noticed a color mismatch on their half doors? Anyone want to share their experience getting half doors painted (pricing, best practices for getting the best quality work done at best price, stripping hardware yourself or letting them do it, etc?) Should I just suck it up and give it time since they're brand new and I have 6k miles on jeep (the jeep has never sat in direct sunlight, always garaged at work and at home, but maybe they need a little UV to blend?).

I dunno, just wanted to put something in the forum since I didn't find much about this issue here. I'm still pretty amped on them. Y'all understand where I'm coming from though, so I appreciate any input!

IMG-7684.PNG

Pics are deceiving but they look fine to me. I’d give it a bit and see if it continues to bother you. Maybe ask a friend or relative to find the odd thing about your Jeep. If they can’t, let it go.

It looks fine initially, but when I zoom in really close I can see it. If you paint and they use the code maybe do one first somehow to see how it matches?

If it’s worth anything, I like the shade of your actual Jeep better.

Reactions: dog
I can see it but you’re the only one who is gonna see it
That is a major PITA man but sweet doors

I had mine that didn’t match worth a shit on my granite repainted to match better.Or stingray ones we bought off someone new in the box.Had abunch of dirt in paint and needed repainted too

I'd leave them the way they are. Only you'll know. Besides, A few trail pinstripes and they will match perfectly.
I agree it’s like the 3 different gold/bronze the 392 ships with
Vinyl, cnc cut badging and the tow hooks
Trying to color match just didn’t work since they’re all slightly different on my Jeep , but truth be told I think I’m the only one who really notices and definitely the only one who cares

My half doors in granite are not close to the jeep. I posted to a 392 group on Facebook and got an immediate response from a guy claiming to be a Jeep assembly line supervisor. Turns out he worked on the Gladiator line but in the end he sounded like he was legit. He said they NEVER see the half doors at the factory and they simply arrive in the boxes from a third party to be packed in the back to be delivered. He said my paint was a terrible mismatch even though it looks worse in person and he only saw pictures. He was extremely supportive, encouraged me to claim warranty and said they would be covered, even offered to help. Only a couple of hours later he DM'd me saying he was getting so much trouble at work for his public comments on my doors he had to shut it down. The thread got deleted off Facebook and I have never heard from him again.

There painted off site by these company and put together.And shipped over to plants

Attachments

• 0FD1479B-3281-47AC-853B-D0120721165C.jpeg
    0FD1479B-3281-47AC-853B-D0120721165C.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 30
My half doors in granite are not close to the jeep. I posted to a 392 group on Facebook and got an immediate response from a guy claiming to be a Jeep assembly line supervisor. Turns out he worked on the Gladiator line but in the end he sounded like he was legit. He said they NEVER see the half doors at the factory and they simply arrive in the boxes from a third party to be packed in the back to be delivered. He said my paint was a terrible mismatch even though it looks worse in person and he only saw pictures. He was extremely supportive, encouraged me to claim warranty and said they would be covered, even offered to help. Only a couple of hours later he DM'd me saying he was getting so much trouble at work for his public comments on my doors he had to shut it down. The thread got deleted off Facebook and I have never heard from him again.
Dang, that's wild. I would 100% claim warranty but I know they'd laugh at me since I didn't order the doors with my jeep (and picked them up off someone else).

Dang, that's wild. I would 100% claim warranty but I know they'd laugh at me since I didn't order the doors with my jeep (and picked them up off someone else).
Like I said we had are factory ones repainted and set we bought for are other 392.Couldn’t stand the miss match on a 90k plus vehicle

Even though any dealer should handle the warranty, the dealer I bought from is over 3 hours away. Not sure what I'm going to do.

@dog, I can see the mismatch after looking at it for a few seconds. At first glance, it's not obvious. The problem for stuff like this is, once you see it, it's impossible to not see it. You have to decide how willing you are to accept or correct as needed. I think one of the reasons it's notable is that the doors are clean and the rest of the Jeep has some dirt on it - it makes them stand out to begin with. :cool:

Here's my take on the warranty - they're a Genuine Jeep product. You're not warrantying the Jeep itself, but rather a Genuine Jeep product; it shouldn't matter that you didn't get them with the Jeep. A defect is a defect, and the defect lies within the workmanship of the product. It's not related to something you did TO the product, but rather the product itself. I think I'd still pursue a warranty claim with your local service department. Worst they can say is no, it's not covered, but at least you'd have tried.

I'm following this closely. I have an order for a Hydro Blue 392 w/half door & premium uppers in with Granger. I won't be unboxing the doors when I pick it up as I'll never get them re-packed properly for the ride home. If they don't match though, I'd definitely expect my local Jeep dealer (several to choose from) would be able to submit the claim.

Keep us posted and good luck!

@dog, I can see the mismatch after looking at it for a few seconds. At first glance, it's not obvious. The problem for stuff like this is, once you see it, it's impossible to not see it. You have to decide how willing you are to accept or correct as needed. I think one of the reasons it's notable is that the doors are clean and the rest of the Jeep has some dirt on it - it makes them stand out to begin with. :cool:

Here's my take on the warranty - they're a Genuine Jeep product. You're not warrantying the Jeep itself, but rather a Genuine Jeep product; it shouldn't matter that you didn't get them with the Jeep. A defect is a defect, and the defect lies within the workmanship of the product. It's not related to something you did TO the product, but rather the product itself. I think I'd still pursue a warranty claim with your local service department. Worst they can say is no, it's not covered, but at least you'd have tried.

I'm following this closely. I have an order for a Hydro Blue 392 w/half door & premium uppers in with Granger. I won't be unboxing the doors when I pick it up as I'll never get them re-packed properly for the ride home. If they don't match though, I'd definitely expect my local Jeep dealer (several to choose from) would be able to submit the claim.

The doors take up so much room I would think I trip home with them on board would not be great. The only seat usable was the drivers seat and it had to be slid pretty far forward. I had a friend give me a ride to pick up the jeep and we put the doors in his truck.

Is it possible they matched the Jeep they originally came with perfectly? I would be surprised if a dealer would honor a warranty on color mismatch in this situation.

Back