Is the 392 overpriced?

ek01

Reaction score
While selecting options for my 392 order, I saw an Instagram add for a Durango. For sheets and giggles I went over to the web site and configured a pretty much fully loaded Durango SRT 392. Total price? $78,965. Check out the options:
  • Base: $68,960
  • Destroyer Gray Clear-Coat Exterior Paint: $395
  • 19 Harman Kardon® Amped Speakers with Subwoofer: $1,085
  • Power Sunroof: $1,295
  • Technology Group: $2,395
  • Premium Interior Group: $2,495
  • Trailer-Tow Group IV: $1,195
  • Destination charge: $1,595
  • Total: $79,415
For that money, you also get a few extras that are not available on the Jeep - Carbon fiber interior accents, leather dashboard, suede headliner, etc.

In contrast, my future Jeep is as follows:
  • Base: $81,985
  • Sting-Gray Clear Coat: $395
  • Dual Top Group: $1,350
  • Integrated Off-Road Camera: $695
  • Trailer Tow Package: $350
  • Total: $86,370
If I were to get the XR package and the One-touch power top, I'd be out of $92K+ MSRP

There are many similarities - both the Dodge and the Jeep have the same engine. In-car technology is mostly the same (navi, ACC, advanced audio, etc). Jeep has dual tops - Dodge has a sunroof, both have the towing package, etc. I get that Jeep has locking diffs and can _actually_ go off-road, while Durango is _capable_ of going off-road somewhat, but on the other hand Durango has a much nicer interior, is much more comfortable, has a bigger fuel tank, better highway gas mileage, etc.

My question is - how does Jeep justify a whopping ~$6K premium over a similarly optioned Durango?

My question is - how does Jeep justify a whopping ~$6K premium over a similarly optioned Durango?
That's an easy justification for me...

The offroad capability.

If you want space, the Wrangler isn't your solution, the Durango is. If you want the best (or tied for first place) offroad capability of any production vehicle, then the Wrangler is your solution.

Isn’t the Destination charge in the base price.I only paided 79,999 for my 23
Theoretically you did not "pay" for your '23 yet because it wasn't delivered to you yet. According to https://www.jeep392.com/threads/202...-banks-open-invoice-msrp-pricing-inside.1328/ the base MSRP for '23 is $81,985. You were probably locked in to the '22 MSRP of $77,095 by the dealer because you ordered before the increase. I should be able to place my order tomorrow, so I'll be hit with an increase.

While selecting options for my 392 order, I saw an Instagram add for a Durango. For sheets and giggles I went over to the web site and configured a pretty much fully loaded Durango SRT 392. Total price? $78,965. Check out the options:
For that money, you also get a few extras that are not available on the Jeep - Carbon fiber interior accents, leather dashboard, suede headliner, etc.

If I were to get the XR package and the One-touch power top, I'd be out of $92K+ MSRP

There are many similarities - both the Dodge and the Jeep have the same engine. In-car technology is mostly the same (navi, ACC, advanced audio, etc). Jeep has dual tops - Dodge has a sunroof, both have the towing package, etc. I get that Jeep has locking diffs and can _actually_ go off-road, while Durango is _capable_ of going off-road somewhat, but on the other hand Durango has a much nicer interior, is much more comfortable, has a bigger fuel tank, better highway gas mileage, etc.

Dude…..it’s a Jeep, not supposed to be fancy, doors off, top off, mix and match, modify, climb a mountain, bury it in mud, smoke a mustang….I can go on and on…it’s not a Jeep

Before I ordered, I asked myself why would I want to spend $80k on a Jeep Wrangler? For the similar price range or a bit more I can get luxury suvs or sedans with similar performance. Or even the muscle cars from dodge. But man that thought faded away shortly because I wanted something unique, great looking, and with NA v8 power/sound that can serve well all seasons around all terrain.

So I did test drive a regular JL rubicon first, not impressed at all. But I still want the 392 and got to test drive one in a different dealership. That confirmed my decision.

And after 3 months I got my 392 XR, man I love it! Driving like a boss, all those luxury suvs and sedans become so ordinary and not appealing.

I admit that I don’t have deep pockets, but I buy things I like as long as I can still afford them without sacrificing the life quality of my family. Money is just a number, my feelings are real!

I don't think it is overpriced. There is not another 4 door convertible that can smoke a mustang at a stop light, offroad with the best of them, sounds that a race car, and brings home the groceries. It is the ultimate leatherman of vehicles. May not be the best at any one thing, but it can do just about everything reasonably well. Put the hardtop and full doors on and it even rides nice and quiet on the highway.

Plus, it is a total sleeper. Nobody is expecting this thing to blow their doors off like it does.

I think if you want a big, fast SUV, the Durango is a really good option. But an apples to apples competitor to the 392XR I drive, it most certainly is not. I guarantee my family would not ask to "take the Durango" the way they ask to "take the Jeep" when we have somewhere to go. The Jeep is a special, fun, ridiculous vehicle. The Durango is a big, fast people moving SUV. They are so very different and I bet my family would choose our Pacifica and all of its creature comforts 10 times out of 10 over the Durango. As long as it's not raining, they always choose the Jeep now and immediately open the one touch.

Whether one is over priced is likely a different question, and the market probably holds the answer for you. I am sure they are priced exactly at the level that the market will bear. Will that be the case if the economy continues to turn south? Who knows, but for now, it seems the prices are correct.

In other news, I've not regretted the price I paid for ours even once. This thing is a riot.

While the price is certainty steep for the original target market for a Wrangler, there is a group of folks that have been waiting for decades to see a factory N/A V8 inside a modern Wrangler . Is Stallantis capitalizing on it a bit by fully equipping every 392...absolutely! Part of the reason for this is to try and keep unit sales down overall due to the offset each 392 puts on the corporate average.

I am good friends with the Sales Manager at the dealer I purchase from, and he was told they were looking to sell 10 4Xe's for every 392 that is sold. Apparently they've been moving through them given the tax incentives that are in place!

While the price is certainty steep for the original target market for a Wrangler, there is a group of folks that have been waiting for decades to see a factory N/A V8 inside a modern Wrangler . Is Stallantis capitalizing on it a bit by fully equipping every 392...absolutely! Part of the reason for this is to try and keep unit sales down overall due to the offset each 392 puts on the corporate average.

I am good friends with the Sales Manager at the dealer I purchase from, and he was told they were looking to sell 10 4Xe's for every 392 that is sold. Apparently they've been moving through them given the tax incentives that are in place!
And i am certain the reverse would be true - flip those tax incentives and see how the ratio flips from 4xe to 392. More fun AND the Feds subsidize it????

The wrangler has always been overpriced compared to other vehicles for what you are getting, before we even got to the 392 model.

If you really want to feel like you're not getting your moneys worth, step into a slightly optioned TRX and go for a ride... Everything inside is so much better AND it has the hellcat motor (much more $$). Makes you definitely feel like the 392 is overpriced. How do I know? I'm a TRX and Wrangler owner. But the Wrangler is something special so we don't care. :)

I also want to add- you can get a nicely optioned C8 Corvette for $85K, and the technology and value you get there makes the Wrangler value look horrific.

I look at it this way. You can buy a pretty loaded Wrangler Rubicon V6 for around $65k. For another $15k you get the 392 Hemi with the beefed up transmission and other upgrades for about $15k more.

Throw in the silly fun factor, future resale value and that amazing V8 exhaust rumble and the 392 makes financial sense.

Last edited:
If both kept stock. The cost of ownership will be less over 5 yrs with the jeep.
That's how I am looking at it.

If luxury accouterments are your thing then the 392 is a poor value relative to the price. However, if you want a do it all SUV with character, the 392 cannot be beat imho.

The 392 has just enough luxury to make it feel nice inside but it isn't so over the top that you'd be afraid to actually get it dirty. It is a nice balance of luxury and simplicity. It is kind of like a G Wagon lite imho. All I really need is leather seats, heated steering wheel, a few leather touches, and the ACC and I am good.

It feels luxury without being pretentious imho.

Guys,
I don't think it is overpriced. There is not another 4 door convertible that can smoke a mustang at a stop light, offroad with the best of them, sounds that a race car, and brings home the groceries. It is the ultimate leatherman of vehicles. May not be the best at any one thing, but it can do just about everything reasonably well. Put the hardtop and full doors on and it even rides nice and quiet on the highway.

Plus, it is a total sleeper. Nobody is expecting this thing to blow their doors off like it does.
The "leatherman" thing is what attracted me to the 392 Wrangler in the first place. I have other cars for smoking Mustangs (and no, the '22 Wrangler 392 will NOT smoke a '22 V8 Mustang). Having said that, I daily drove a '21 Gladiator Willy's loaner for 6 weeks while my Viper was in service and while I liked a lot of things about it, I also hated a lot, like how slow and clumsy it was, the offroad-only 4WD, Rubbermaid interior, etc. Hopefully the 392 will take care of some of these issues. Also, for the first time I will not worry if my new "car" gets scratched or dirty. I want that freedom!

Still pisses me off that a souped-up Wrangler with a few basic options is over $86K. Just doesn't feel right.

The wrangler has always been overpriced compared to other vehicles for what you are getting, before we even got to the 392 model.

If you really want to feel like you're not getting your moneys worth, step into a slightly optioned TRX and go for a ride... Everything inside is so much better AND it has the hellcat motor (much more $$). Makes you definitely feel like the 392 is overpriced. How do I know? I'm a TRX and Wrangler owner. But the Wrangler is something special so we don't care. :)
Dude, I was DYING to get a TRX. My close friend has one, I drove it many times. I love everything about it. But it's too damn big! I doesn't fit pretty much anywhere. Too wide and too tall. I remember pulling into a RiteAid parking lot and having to do a 4-point back-and-forth to get both in AND out of a parking space. It does not clear my garage door at home and does NOT fit outside of the garage between the gate and the house :) It's a great truck if you live out of the city with lots of space. Don't twist the knife please. :) I'm still hoping to get one if I can move to Florida in a few years.

IMO the answer to the question is No. I absolutely love my 392, more then almost any vehicle. That said, I think the 392 will hold its value pretty well.

Nope
Capitalism, combined with supply & demand, supported by the ability and willingness of the buyer, will determine the final sale price.

Some are paying over $100k willingly.
Others, are looking for a deal.

As for the price vs what you get?
That is in the opinion of the consumer.
All Wranglers and Gladiators are built on frame & axle tech of 100+ years old.
Anyone with scrutiny who is looking to spend $60k-$90k, will shift toward a refined vehicle such as Cadillac, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

Price is relative to what the consumer is willing to spend for the product.

I know a guy who spends stupid $ on vinyl records. He could pay for 10 years of iTunes for what he paid for 1 record.

Back