Is Gorilla Glass better?

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 Ram Rebel G/T 2021 GLE 450
For those with Gorrilla Glass, do you believe it is better than standard glass? If so, in what way? I understand it’s supposed to be stronger, but does it have any other qualities like clarity, ease of cleaning, sound abatement, etc? Frankly, I have been underwhelmed with the quality of the glass in both my previous 2019 Challenger and my new Rubicon 392 when compared with the glass in my Ram 1500, which feels smoother, more polished, and easier to keep clean. Is Gorilla Glass a step up in quality as well as durability?

I had never heard of Gorrila glass as a windshield so when ordering I skipped it. Which of your vehicles does have it? You say your Ram has better glass but is it Gorrila?

I had never heard of Gorrila glass as a windshield so when ordering I skipped it. Which of your vehicles does have it? You say your Ram has better glass but is it Gorrila?
I do not have Gorilla Glass in any vehicle. The glass in my 2019 Challenger was rough and hard to clean. The glass in my 392 is a little better, but still not as good as my 2019 Ram 1500 with standard OEM glass. And unfortunately, I didn’t really know how good glass could be until I bought a luxury European SUV -- it’s incredibly smooth and easy to clean.

I have never thought there would be a difference. All windshields are evil when I'm trying to clean them.

For those with Gorrilla Glass, do you believe it is better than standard glass? If so, in what way? I understand it’s supposed to be stronger, but does it have any other qualities like clarity, ease of cleaning, sound abatement, etc? Frankly, I have been underwhelmed with the quality of the glass in both my previous 2019 Challenger and my new Rubicon 392 when compared with the glass in my Ram 1500, which feels smoother, more polished, and easier to keep clean. Is Gorilla Glass a step up in quality as well as durability?
I feel better while looking through it when eating a banana!!!🍌 💪🏼😁

It's installed on mine, but I don't see any difference. A glass guy told me they're thinner then regular windshields but I have no clue. As far as I'm concerned, it works just like a windshield!

Currently I'm leaning toward GG being a slight inconvenience. I don't think it can be repaired/filled like regular glass when it comes to chips and cracks because of the different make up of it (I'd think you'd end up with discoloration or noticeable where it was repaired). So I'm waiting on a full replacement, because Mopar didn't even offer repair, which isn't speedy at all (a month of waiting so far), vs a regular windshield I could probably have replaced same day... actually I might check with my service shop and see if having them repair it for the time being will mess up the warranty replacement that's on the way. If not we can see what happens.

The Gorilla Glass was an additional $99 when I ordered mine…
I contacted my insurance guy and IF it gets cracked by a rock or whatever… it is covered at no charge just like any other windshield.
I replaced 3 on my 2014 JK over 7 years of daily driving, off-roading etc.
If something happens to mine, or there isn’t one available, or they are on back order… I wouldn’t hesitate to replace it with a standard Rubicon windshield👍🏼

It’s kinda like my previous standard 392 with the SILVER 392 plate on the tailgate… my new XR has the gold 392 plate, does it drive any better? … yes, but NOT because of the golden plate…🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
The Gorilla Glass was an additional $99 when I ordered mine…
I contacted my insurance guy and IF it gets cracked by a rock or whatever… it is covered at no charge just like any other windshield.
I replaced 3 on my 2014 JK over 7 years of daily driving, off-roading etc.
If something happens to mine, or there isn’t one available, or they are on back order… I wouldn’t hesitate to replace it with a standard Rubicon windshield👍🏼

It’s kinda like my previous standard 392 with the SILVER 392 plate on the tailgate… my new XR has the gold 392 plate, does it drive any better? … yes, but NOT because of the golden plate…🤣🤣🤣
If it craps out within the first two years Mopar replaces it for free, but as I mentioned I’m still waiting after being approved for warranty replacement😑

I just took a rock hit today. It happens most often on the interstate here. Speed limit is 75. I’m usually rolling around 80.
I dont know the size of the rock, but the damage is the same as many other hits on my JKUR.

Attachments

• 3DC789A7-D1F4-4928-BF84-C41A20218E2A.jpeg
    3DC789A7-D1F4-4928-BF84-C41A20218E2A.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 90
Have it on my JLUR. Also ordered it for my 392 XR. Supposed to be stronger, lighter, and optically clearer. Jury’s out.

Better off using STEK Dynoshield to protect your windshield.
That’s exactly why I did’t opt the Gorilla glass when I placed my order. But there’s also Dynoflex. I couldn’t find the major differences between it and Dynoshield. I know Dynoflex film can be installed in 15 minutes without using a heat gun.

That’s exactly why I did’t opt the Gorilla glass when I placed my order. But there’s also Dynoflex. I couldn’t find the major differences between it and Dynoshield. I know Dynoflex film can be installed in 15 minutes without using a heat gun.

Neither require a heat gun or adhesive. The STEK product is self healing. I used it on my G63 and because it is coated you hardly have to use your wipers. The downside is that if you are out mudding you absolutely cannot use your wipers or will scratch the film.

Neither require a heat gun or adhesive. The STEK product is self healing. I used it on my G63 and because it is coated you hardly have to use your wipers. The downside is that if you are out mudding you absolutely cannot use your wipers or will scratch the film.
Thanks for the information. Can you please explain why using wipers during muddying would scratch the film? I thought the purpose is scratch/chips protection. I don’t plan on any mudding though.

Thanks for the information. Can you please explain why using wipers during muddying would scratch the film? I thought the purpose is scratch/chips protection. I don’t plan on any mudding though.

Any small pebbles or rocks could scratch the film if under the wipers. The film is designed to absorb impact vs. scratches. For me, I would add it regardless. It is easy to replace and not too expensive if it becomes too marred over time and at least the windshield stays protected.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back