How do they get stolen?

Here is a pic of @DavyBoy install from Ravelco. You can see the metal clad wire housing leading to the socket. It will defiantly take some time (something a car thief doesn’t waste) to figure out the Ravelco wiring and bypass the unit.
View attachment 4990
I have been using Ravelco for about 9 months. No problems. Gives me peace of mind. I also use a faraday cage bag for the key fob, and I have locking hood latches. The only way to steal this is to tow it, and it will still be a very difficult task to undo the kill switch even in a shop. The wiring is matched to the factory wiring and inside the various wiring harnesses, so many hours to undo. It is a little bit of a hassel to use, but when I think about walking out someday to a stolen 392, it is worth the hassel to me. Actually the biggest negative is not being able to use remote start in the winter or summer.

How're you guys deploying these systems when away from the vehicle? I've got a similar set up in a lighter security payload, but generally it requires manual user input to be effective against thieves. :unsure:
You bring up a good point. I have to remind myself there are gaps in any security system, no matter how tightly we try to lock things down. I've always found that a few simple measures (rather than complex ones) mixed with reasoned discretion are the best *bang* for my buck!

Mind posting a picture to show where it got installed? I contacted Ravelco a month ago but just haven’t decided.
Here’s my Ravelco plug install. Drilled into the panel, as shown. I also have locking hood side latches, locking fuel cap, Gorilla lock lugs in all 5 tires and a locking cable around my spare. The Club is sometimes just for added security and show!

Attachments

• DDFA2A4D-B99D-4185-A46B-7EEFA497C4A6.jpeg
    DDFA2A4D-B99D-4185-A46B-7EEFA497C4A6.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 155
As far as security systems go, I went with the H&K USP45 which from what I understand is the same form factor and equally effective. I believe it's slower to deploy but ever so slightly beefier, but they both have their plusses and minuses. Installation couldn't be simpler, and reliability and build quality is pristine. Top of the line, you really can't beat either of 'em! Can't recommend enough!
Indeed!!!

Reactions: dog
2:45pm weekday afternoon car pulls into my driveway next to my 392. They try to open all 5 doors. By the time I see them on security cameras and activate house alarm they speed out

Attachments

• E00CF7FC-4BFE-42DE-89C3-FAFC8944652C.jpeg
    E00CF7FC-4BFE-42DE-89C3-FAFC8944652C.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 50EF20D2-3D2E-47A4-A89A-96CA2A3AAC4D.jpeg
    50EF20D2-3D2E-47A4-A89A-96CA2A3AAC4D.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 196
2:45pm weekday afternoon car pulls into my driveway next to my 392. They try to open all 5 doors. By the time I see them on security cameras and activate house alarm they speed out
Infuriating!

😡

You could put valves in the exhaust to completely close off the exhaust. Would be like bananas in the tailpipe on Beverly Hills Cop. They wouldn't get very far and nobody would be expecting it. Most likely they would abandon theft attempt

So this thread got me thinking about my complete lack of security. More specifically my lack of hood lock security.

I have pulled the 40A fuse at position F02 which is the starter location. Everything works on the vehicle except for the starter. I have not noticed any adverse side effects from doing this so far. If you wanted to take this to the next level you could disable a 40A fuse and put it in as a dummy fuse. That would take some diagnosis to figure out. :unsure:

However, I see how important it is to be able to lock the hood from a security point of view. I know there are locking hood latches on Amazon but I also know with a screwdriver and/or wonder bar and very little regard for the paint job I could pop open this kind of external hood lock without too much resistance. So I have been looking for a lock that works internally under the hood. The main issue I have had is my factory installed forward looking “trail camera” is in the way of many of the grill mounted aftermarket locks. Well I finally found one that might just work:

LASFIT Stealth Anti-Theft Hood Lock for 18-22 Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT

8417F5F6-4E99-4C5A-BBA9-FE4B2821BC19.jpeg
It uses a pneumatic lock that fits the forward camera. The pneumatic pump is located under the steering wheel column and connects to the vehicle’s CAN-bus and uses the OEM key fob’s door OPEN & CLOSE keys to trigger the unlock/lock signal for the pneumatic hood lock. They even include a 12V power input just incase the vehicle battery dies and you need to unlock the hood. There is a review on their website from a guy with a 392 so if it’s a real review then I’m guessing it will fit the 392. Here is an install video showing more details, looks pretty straight forward:

A couple concerns I have is if the pneumatic controller fails will it fail closed or open. And if it fails closed can I connect the airline to my shop compressor to pop the hood manually if needed? I don’t want to get in a situation where the hood is stuck in the locked position. My other two concern are:
1. Is this company (Lasfit) legit and not a security risk (I doubt it but I am weary of connecting stuff to the vehicle’s CAN-bus without doing a little research on the company).
2. Can I add a Tazer Mini JL in addition to this device (it looks like the CAN-bus attachment is a pass thru connector, so I think yes you could add the Tazer)

Anyone used any Lasfit products? Looks like they make LED lights mostly.

As far as security systems go, I went with the H&K USP45 which from what I understand is the same form factor and equally effective. I believe it's slower to deploy but ever so slightly beefier, but they both have their plusses and minuses. Installation couldn't be simpler, and reliability and build quality is pristine. Top of the line, you really can't beat either of 'em! Can't recommend enough!
Funny thing I didn’t pick the 40S&W, Uncle Sam must have had and unlimited supply of .40S&W rounds because thats what I got. I know they also issued the SIG P229 in .40 S&W. But after my first 5,000 rounds it started to grow on me, so I broke down and bought my own. I think the now use the SIG 9mm so maybe they finally used up that stockpile of .40S&W.

Last edited:
Reactions: dog
So this thread got me thinking about my complete lack of security. More specifically my lack of hood lock security.

I have pulled the 40A fuse at position F02 which is the starter location. Everything works on the vehicle except for the starter. I have not noticed any adverse side effects from doing this so far. If you wanted to take this to the next level you could disable a 40A fuse and put it in as a dummy fuse. That would take some diagnosis to figure out. :unsure:

However, I see how important it is to be able to lock the hood from a security point of view. I know there are locking hood latches on Amazon but I also know with a screwdriver and/or wonder bar and very little regard for the paint job I could pop open this kind of external hood lock without too much resistance. So I have been looking for a lock that works internally under the hood. The main issue I have had is my factory installed forward looking “trail camera” is in the way of many of the grill mounted aftermarket locks. Well I finally found one that might just work:

LASFIT Stealth Anti-Theft Hood Lock for 18-22 Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT

View attachment 5040
It uses a pneumatic lock that fits the forward camera. The pneumatic pump is located under the steering wheel column and connects to the vehicle’s CAN-bus and uses the OEM key fob’s door OPEN & CLOSE keys to trigger the unlock/lock signal for the pneumatic hood lock. They even include a 12V power input just incase the vehicle battery dies and you need to unlock the hood. There is a review on their website from a guy with a 392 so if it’s a real review then I’m guessing it will fit the 392. Here is an install video showing more details, looks pretty straight forward:

A couple concerns I have is if the pneumatic controller fails will it fail closed or open. And if it fails closed can I connect the airline to my shop compressor to pop the hood manually if needed? I don’t want to get in a situation where the hood is stuck in the locked position. My other two concern are:
1. Is this company (Lasfit) legit and not a security risk (I doubt it but I am weary of connecting stuff to the vehicle’s CAN-bus without doing a little research on the company).
2. Can I add a Tazer Mini JL in addition to this device (it looks like the CAN-bus attachment is a pass thru connector, so I think yes you could add the Tazer)

Anyone used any Lasfit products? Looks like they make LED lights mostly.

Funny thing I didn’t pick the 40S&W, Uncle Sam must have had and unlimited supply of .40S&W rounds because thats what I got. I know they also issued the SIG P229 in .40 S&W. But after my first 5,000 rounds it started to grow on me, so I broke down and bought my own. I think the now use the SIG 9mm so maybe they finally used up that stockpile of .40S&W.
The guy above you said the thiefs tried to open the Jeep doors and didnt care about popping the hood. I think you are looking into the wrong fix. Starter relay or fuel pump relay kill switch should be enough of a deterrent or OBD lock...that's why i asked how they are stolen, so i can find the correct detterent

And the gun narrative is garbage..you'll get arrested for shooting a non-violent criminal..

The guy above you said the thiefs tried to open the Jeep doors and didnt care about popping the hood. I think you are looking into the wrong fix. Starter relay or fuel pump relay kill switch should be enough of a deterrent or OBD lock...that's why i asked how they are stolen, so i can find the correct detterent

And the gun narrative is garbage..you'll get arrested for shooting a non-violent criminal..
You'll probably get arrested for shooting a violent criminal too. There's no "gun narrative" here, pretty sure most folks are aware that a firearm isn't going to be an effective theft-deterrent, unless they're never letting their 392s out of sight.

🔫:cool:(y)

You'll definately be arrested in NY for even trying to stop a thief!!! That's what's garbage.
Nuff said

Meh another hole to take care of... PASS
I'm getting too old
There is a way a Jeep can be put into neutral once a perp gets inside and then pushed (typically by another vehicle) onto a trailer or what ever to move it to where the thieves want it to go with having to start the thing. The technique has been a major issue concerning theft of MOPAR muscle cars in general and is quite rampant back East in populated areas. Our Jeeps have the same vulnerability.

Last edited:
Late to the party... Just going to chime in on the shock sensor that has already been mentioned being an option for the TRX. Just talked to them about the 392. Unfortunately, their device will not work with the wrangler JL. Hated to hear that.
Chris

Ravelco on mine and Professionally installed by the guys out of NJ. You can't even see it unless you crawl under the dash.
Is the installer Chuck Whigham? I remember getting a quote from him and the email says 3-5 hour installation. Did it take that long for you?

Yes Chuck did my install he is an A+ installer and guy. His insight is amazing to all situations we have discussed in this thread. He did the install in 4 hours and it is amazing. You cannot even tell he was inside the Jeep no matter how hard you look. I can't say enough good things about him and his work. You won't go wrong if you have him do your work. He came from VA to Ct to do mine and a buddys TRX on the same day.

Yes Chuck did my install he is an A+ installer and guy. His insight is amazing to all situations we have discussed in this thread. He did the install in 4 hours and it is amazing. You cannot even tell he was inside the Jeep no matter how hard you look. I can't say enough good things about him and his work. You won't go wrong if you have him do your work. He came from VA to Ct to do mine and a buddys TRX on the same day.
I’m sure the added security gives you a piece of mind, enjoy! It definitely makes me feel more confident with knowing your experience!

can you take pic of the location? If it's so hidden isnt hard to insert and pull the plug every time you start/stop driving? There's no much leg room under the dash for a 6.4 guy and i'm curious like hell what magic spot you found.

Back