Hose leak at filter housing

Ted392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Toys
So at 21 miles, this drip showed up. It appears the hose is not pushed up all the way and the clamp can't hold it. Waiting for it to cool down so I can fix it.
20220823_131512.jpg

I got it pushed back up over the flare and reclamped. Hope it holds. Tight quarters in there.

The assembly guy had one job and still managed to fail. Lol
20220823_151743.jpg

Well I let it sit overnight and it is still dripping. Contemplating replacing clamp myself or take to a dealer for warranty. I'll call dealer to see what the wait time is and go from there.

Made appt at dealer, one week out from when I made appt. Brought 392 in at said date and time, last Wed, as of yesterday it was still sitting in there locked yard. Asked when they'll look at it and svc mgr said maybe tomorrow. Ugh. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about car reservations. You can take the appt but you can't keep the appt. I get they are short handed but this bites.

Sorry you're having to deal with that man. I probably would have tried replacing that hose clamp with a worm gear clamp before taking it to the dealer, but I hope the dealer gets on it and makes it right for your brand new, literally just drove it off the lot 392.

Sorry you're having to deal with that man. I probably would have tried replacing that hose clamp with a worm gear clamp before taking it to the dealer, but I hope the dealer gets on it and makes it right for your brand new, literally just drove it off the lot 392.
Well I thought about that, and even trimming the hose, but I decided to send it in anyway. I figured oil leak/lose the oil and they blame me for a cooked engine.

Turns out the hose is bad. Dealer keeping it over the weekend waiting on hose.

So at 21 miles, this drip showed up. It appears the hose is not pushed up all the way and the clamp can't hold it. Waiting for it to cool down so I can fix it.View attachment 6615
Looks pinkish
is it oil, trans fluid or coolant?
this very hose rests against the larger oil filters. I placed a sleeve over it so it didn’t wear down and fail.

It does look pinkish. I assume engine oil since it's attached to oil filter housing. It definitely is leaking at that hose and not being dripped on from above. I find out Tuesday from dealership.

Looks like transmission fluid.

It does look pinkish. I assume engine oil since it's attached to oil filter housing. It definitely is leaking at that hose and not being dripped on from above. I find out Tuesday from dealership.
I thought it was an oil line as well.
That’s why I’m curious of the fluid.

I also don’t think the factory fill is pink.
Please update when you find out.

I was dealing with a leak in the transmission cooler lines on my JK this spring and I found that fuel injection hose clamps worked better on smaller hose. They have a more round clamping surface than traditional hose clamps that have a rigid mechanism and draw the band in on only one side. After I swapped out the traditional hose clamps and used fuel injection clamps I have not had a single drip.

The oil filter housing is also an oil cooler. Your leak seems to be coming from subpart 6 of the oil filter adapter, which is the oil-water cooler. Hope this helps!

Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (53011496AC)​

1662390977205.png

The oil filter housing is also an oil cooler. Your leak seems to be coming from subpart 6 of the oil filter adapter, which is the oil-water cooler. Hope this helps!

Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (53011496AC)​

View attachment 6827
That explains the pink drip.

Has me wondering if the hose resting against the filter is causing the oil temp to be higher than normal.
I typically see 230°-256°

My oil temp is usually quite a bit higher than water temp. I don't know if I've seen 256 but definitely 230.

Thanks Stonehide. I looked that diagram up yesterday. Interesting "cooling" design. The 2 hoses go to a coolant bottle and cooler inlet.

I made a bet with my wife that they don't have it fixed tomorrow.

Screenshot_20220905-144758_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
My oil temp is usually quite a bit higher than water temp. I don't know if I've seen 256 but definitely 230.
I’m at altitude. Around 100° temps, at 10k-13k feet.
Thin air here brah

Just crossed over 100 miles and no leak. Lots of ac condensate though. Now I'll get started on mods.

Back