Hood Misalignment

cgrosen324

Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 Ford Raptor
Curious if anyone else’s hood is misaligned. Mine hangs over the grill 1/2”+ rather than the two meeting together. I’ve looked past it for over a year but now it’s starting to bug me more and more. No doubt they’ll laugh at me next time I take it in for service. I doubt anything can be done to correct it…just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I will post a couple pics later today. Thanks everyone

Curious if anyone else’s hood is misaligned. Mine hangs over the grill 1/2”+ rather than the two meeting together. I’ve looked past it for over a year but now it’s starting to bug me more and more. No doubt they’ll laugh at me next time I take it in for service. I doubt anything can be done to correct it…just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I will post a couple pics later today. Thanks everyone
I have a similar issue as well. It bothers me a lot. I haven’t brought it into service to see if they will adjust it yet. I doubt they will…

Mine seems to be flush, definitely not hanging out a 1/2 inch. What does the gap look like between your hood a windshield cowling?
DE54E01E-8D57-4C0B-B464-5C2D1C5209DE.jpeg

I’m not sure if these pics really show what I’m describing? Funny, it’s so obvious in person but kinda tough to tell in pics.
D752D9B5-75FB-4517-BFC1-D102C07FA691.jpeg
5B62EC73-A0E3-4551-A7D8-0A1B11B55BE8.jpeg
23655CAC-F1BC-4026-8ABE-5D523A845444.jpeg
CC399E1C-0DE9-40E0-8C22-C2CD6F44D366.jpeg

It may be your grille. If you look at all sides and corners of your hood and it is in fact crooked, bring it to the dealer and see if they can reposition it under warranty.

Last edited:
That looks like a grill issue to me as well. It looks like the edges of the hood line up to the body on each side of the grill but appears that the grill is pushed back towards the engine bay.

That’s jacked up.
mine is flush.
I couldn’t let that go. I probably wouldn’t have taken delivery.

I will see if they will fix it the next time I’m in for service. Thanks for the feedback 👍

I will see if they will fix it the next time I’m in for service. Thanks for the feedback 👍
Yeah if there isn’t excess gap between the hood and cowl, probably the grill is miscounted.

all the front end parts are easily adjusted but its a 2 man job and required lots of fiddly trial and error

all the front end parts are easily adjusted but its a 2 man job and required lots of fiddly trial and error
That’s very interesting to hear…I had no idea anything would be adjustable in the front. Do you have any experience making adjustments, or have you seen some videos? Thanks for your feedback.

That’s very interesting to hear…I had no idea anything would be adjustable in the front. Do you have any experience making adjustments, or have you seen some videos? Thanks for your feedback.
He's right. Usually at the hinge- or there are body mounts in the engine bay that can be adjusted. It varies by vehicle.
I bought a Durango SRT before this with a lot of misalignment. Front and rear. Hood was skewed left to right. I know there is a lot of adjustment (we modify a lot of vehicles) so I bought it on the condition they could fix it without paint. We had to make an end of year tax purchase so waiting wasn't an option. Turns out it was the quarter panels that were off and re-paint was required. I refused and CDJR bought the SRT back from me. I was pretty astonished they made good on their promise. So I guess there is hope that your dealer might actually take a look.
It was funny- I had a Durango RT before the SRT. While its not a sexy vehicle I actually really liked it. But for some reason the SRT- which was gorgeous on the inside and superior in many ways- and of course fast as heck for a grocery getter....didn't resonate with me. (Get it) Within 5 minutes of driving the 392 I knew I was buying it over another SRT. Always a Jeep girl I guess.

I looked at mine again.
My grill I recessed about 1/4” +/- all the way around.
I never noticed it. At least it’s even. I’m thinking if it bothers me, I have some 6mm rubber washers I can use as spacers to bump it out. Right now, I’m just telling myself it catches more air to help cool the engine bay. 🤓

I looked at mine again.
My grill I recessed about 1/4” +/- all the way around.
I never noticed it. At least it’s even. I’m thinking if it bothers me, I have some 6mm rubber washers I can use as spacers to bump it out. Right now, I’m just telling myself it catches more air to help cool the engine bay. 🤓
Ha! I never considered extra air flow 😋 Curious, where would you put those spacers? Have you had your grill off before? I’m thinking of using this situation as an excuse to order the satin black grill (which I should have selected when I ordered the damn thing).

Looked at mine today, not as aligned neither, but not too bad. I never paid attention until you raise this up. I’m fine with this. Typical FCA assembly quality.

Attachments

• F1DAB3BD-3D38-4293-80A9-0FDE0B6A94D6.jpeg
    F1DAB3BD-3D38-4293-80A9-0FDE0B6A94D6.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 0C3706BC-5DCC-4A9E-9BA4-A8586997DB82.jpeg
    0C3706BC-5DCC-4A9E-9BA4-A8586997DB82.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 28
Ha! I never considered extra air flow 😋 Curious, where would you put those spacers? Have you had your grill off before? I’m thinking of using this situation as an excuse to order the satin black grill (which I should have selected when I ordered the damn thing).
I haven’t had mine apart.
Not sure what I’ll do. Probably nothing.

I've just installed the black grill and the alignment got much worse. Not sure what the issue is but the gaps between the sides of the hood and the grill are totally uneven now.
btw black grill is probably the worst option you can pick from the factory. By getting it separately you have two grills for $300 while from the factory you're paying $350 for just a black one. Plus it's much easier to buy a black grill after the fact than find a color matched one :)

Mine is recessed also, and I’m glad. Gives you something to get ahold of when you want to open the hood. I think Jeep used the same spring for the standard hood on our heavy ass hoods because that spring provides zero “lift” when you unlatch the hood.

After reading this thread, I checked mine, and it’s off as well. I went by the dealership and took a look at about 30 wranglers of all different levels, from 392s to Saharas to Willys to High Tides, etc. every one of them had that overhang and was misaligned. I’m starting to believe that the ones that are flush are the ones that are off, LOL!!

Back